• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Project WANAVEE

USMC_315

My friend just bought a 2007 Grand Cherokee diesel project and we plan on going out to Flagpole once he gets it running (then elsewhere). Looking forward to that.

Let me know if you're still planning a trip up to Flagpole come spring time. I know I want to make a weekend trip up there once the weather warms up a little bit. I've been itching to get out there, but I just can't do the cold nights anymore at least until I get my wood stove. Bowser-II would be up to it as well I'm sure, given enough time to plan!

WANNAVEE

Lots of great info here in this thread.

Most tranny builders raise line pressure with components in their level of builds (i.e. your Level 6 build from RPM) for drag racing like you said. Sometimes end up with too much static line pressure lol, so it makes sense that it helped to lower it. I'm putting together a tranny combo for my 6.2L build and may hit you up if my tuner can't figure out the neat 4LOW table you've found. Nice looking rig.
Thanks. I only lowered the line pressure ramp-up a tiny bit and only for the 1-2 shift because I don't know how much I can lower it before it might cause slipping. It would be nice if there was good info about that somewhere. If there is, I couldn't find it.
The table for 4lo isn't hidden or anything, it's just that the whole thing is a poorly explained convoluted mess as to which tables do what and which others they interact with in what ways and stuff can get really screwed up if the wrong things are messed with. There is a lot more in that code to change than is commonly changed, so much of it has little to no documentation.
Each tuning suite company does their own interface so HPTuners may have things laid out better than EFILive and may have labeled things differently, not sure. What tuning software are you using?

Let me know if you're still planning a trip up to Flagpole come spring time. I know I want to make a weekend trip up there once the weather warms up a little bit. I've been itching to get out there, but I just can't do the cold nights anymore at least until I get my wood stove. Bowser-II would be up to it as well I'm sure, given enough time to plan!
That would be cool. Not sure yet... My friend takes a while to get to some of his projects so it's hard to say when his Heep will be running. However, he was working on replacing the fuel pump this weekend but I think he ran into a snag so might not get the tank back in until later. He's never seen it run so there could be more problems awaiting even if it starts. Or it could run beautifully after that. Time will tell, I guess.

So, I've been obsessing over building a sleeping platform again (it was always the plan but got overwhelmed) and I think I have a viable path forward that won't be too difficult to build but will still meet all of my requirements. I need that if I'm to camp anywhere again because I already have serious sleeping issues and any discomfort is amplified so traditional camping methods (IOW, a tent) won't work. My 3 night camping trip around the Flagpole area last fall had me sleeping in the reclined passenger seat, and that was NOT okay either.
More on the platform later if/when it happens. I've burned myself in threads in the past by getting too far ahead of myself.

WANNAVEE

I decided to remove the passenger side rear interior panels as well as the rear cargo padding to measure/plan for the sleeping platform I just mentioned, and I discovered that the insulation in that padding was SOAKED with water. I drove a lot in slush/rain recently.
I'm pretty sure the water is coming in from the body clips on both sides that hold the rear outer fenders in place because there are trails of dirt coming down from them (need to get the hose out to verify. I'll try that today if I feel better than I did yesterday). Has anyone else run into that issue? I'm thinking I might just gob RTV over those holes to seal them up but that would sort of 'glue' those clips in place which isn't ideal.

The clips are the little white protrusions that you can see here coming through the vertical section of body inside the little cubby area:

20210225_180155.jpg

Last edited:

amrg

Did you change the force motor values? Most tuners make it more agressive which results in very firm shifts, whatever you do, you should start here first.
When I had my H3 tuned initially, this was changed. When I rebuilt my trans, I changed to a higher boost valve (which is normal with any performance oriented rebuild), it resulted in really jarring shifts. I then had the force motor values returned to stock and now my shifts are firm and friendly.
In your case, you may have to make them even less agressive in 4L0

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

WANNAVEE

The force motor values are stock. I haven't messed with lowering that because what it does is turn the base line pressure down, and I can't find any good documentation on going below stock, other than that if it gets too low things will start to slip. I don't remember if there was even a 4lo specific table for the force motor values, it might be a global setting. I'll have to check later.
4hi shifts are firm, but definitely not too firm. The 4:1 reduction in 4lo has a drastic effect on things (400% of the applied torque compared to 4hi, of course).

WANNAVEE

Well, didn't even have to play with the hose. It's raining, not very hard mind you, and I saw this. Sigh.
20210228_111837.jpg

Gpcalero

Thanks. I only lowered the line pressure ramp-up a tiny bit and only for the 1-2 shift because I don't know how much I can lower it before it might cause slipping. It would be nice if there was good info about that somewhere. If there is, I couldn't find it.
The table for 4lo isn't hidden or anything, it's just that the whole thing is a poorly explained convoluted mess as to which tables do what and which others they interact with in what ways and stuff can get really screwed up if the wrong things are messed with. There is a lot more in that code to change than is commonly changed, so much of it has little to no documentation.
Each tuning suite company does their own interface so HPTuners may have things laid out better than EFILive and may have labeled things differently, not sure. What tuning software are you using?

We are using HPTuners to tune my truck.

WANNAVEE

We are using HPTuners to tune my truck.
Okay, might be quite different, or not. If you have problems once you get to it then let me know and I'll try to help you out either way.

Hummer H3’s, most off road fun you will have in a rain barrel since 2005....
:giggle: :no:
Hadn't realized these were so leaky until I dealt with and researched everyone's favorite sunroof leak the first summer I had it (screw that... sealed it), and now this. An allergic reaction to mold exposure nearly killed me once... I don't want to mess around.
If possible, I might try using real bolts, nuts, and rubber washers in place of the plastic clips with the pathetic thin foam gaskets that the factory thought was just fine. I looked at some fender pics and it looks like it might be doable (with two people or some enginuity).

WANNAVEE

"Introducing the Hummer H3. It will go anywhere you want and ford 3 feet of water to get there*."

*Must be wearing waders. Waders not included.

Last edited:

Iwillnc

"Introducing the Hummer H2 & H3. It will go anywhere you want and ford 3 feet of water to get there*."

*Must be wearing waders. Waders not included.

FTFY, at least your leaks are easier to find, I believe my dash will be coming off to find mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WANNAVEE

Thanks. This thing is making me say more and more "I shoulda bought a 4Runner".

I'll try to post something positive though... Look at the driver side magnetic bug screen I made prior to my Flagpole trip (passenger side same but mirrored). They worked beautifully:

20200908_120518.jpg

WANNAVEE

Stationary was the intention, primarily for overnight sleeping but for whenever at rest because the skeeters can get real bad in the summer.
The magnet strips aren't super strong but I imagine they might stay on up to a pretty reasonable speed. However, branches on the tight trails in this region mean that they definitely stay off during the trail rides.

I decided to make a full border of magnet strip to create an easy 'bug-tight' seal all the way around.
It's nice that I can roll up or down the windows as much as I want without messing with the screens.

I've been considering making a window insert for one side for some small panel mount fans. I would still use these screens with that because there's plenty of clearance and I wouldn't have to let the mosquitos in to mount or dismount it. If I ever do that then I'll post about it.

WANNAVEE

Oh, I also made a beefy power extension cable for my hitch-mounted winch so I can winch from the front or rear since I have receivers on both ends. It's 2/0 gauge (not 2 gauge, much bigger than that) and 15ft long so it will reach from the battery connector under hood to the winch in the rear while going over the roof. It weighs 14 lbs.

20200923_172402.jpg20200923_175420.jpg20200924_164701.jpg

WANNAVEE

Thinking about selling Wanavee for a few reasons, wondering if anyone might be interested. I'm not sure how much to ask, but I'll be peeling the Plasti Dip soon so it'll be factory silver again and all the stock interior will be reinstalled (and the rear fender clips replaced). Everything else will stay as is (except for the removable non-H3-specific accessories like the hitch-mounted winch and recovery gear). All is detailed in this thread. It still runs great and has very little wrong with it. 115k miles, clean and clear title. What might it be worth to someone? I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about that even if not interested in buying it.

Last edited:

Ordieh

Thinking about selling Wanavee for a few reasons, wondering if anyone might be interested. I'm not sure how much to ask, but I'll be peeling the Plasti Dip soon so it'll be factory silver again and all the stock interior will be reinstalled (and the rear fender clips replaced). Everything else will stay as is (except for the removable non-H3-specific accessories like the hitch-mounted winch and recovery gear). All is detailed in this thread. It still runs great and has very little wrong with it. 115k miles, clean and clear title. What might it be worth to someone? I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about that even if not interested in buying it.
Hey NMH3, here is your chance!