• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 frame question

rustybacon54

So this guy that I'm buying some H3 parts from has said something along the lines of, "these trucks have the strongest frames ever made because of they're made from high carbon steel". Any thoughts on this?

5gn-h3t

I don’t know if they are the strongest ever but they are made from a high strength steel and are fully boxed. My friend works in collision repair and he tells me that the frames are extremely difficult to pull.

Zach

Mall Crawler
There is a weak point. Where the lower control arm meets the frame at the rear bushing. On street accidents, I’ve seen them buckle at that spot. Which required frame replacement. Off road, have never seen that issue. Go figure

JPaul

There is a weak point. Where the lower control arm meets the frame at the rear bushing. On street accidents, I’ve seen them buckle at that spot. Which required frame replacement. Off road, have never seen that issue. Go figure

Pretty sure that's a design feature to improve crash ratings, though I guess that depends on how severe those accidents were. You can also see a few spots up by the bumper that are designed to buckle the frame to absorb crash energy.

4speedfunk

Wow. As somebody that has cut apart and re-welded several H3 frames...I can promise they are far from “strongest ever made”. In fact...they are very flimsy. So flimsy that certain shelf type winch mounts can bend them during a hard pull.

The entire front frame from the motor mounts forward is intentionally designed to collapse in a collision. Same for the rear frame rails. I deal with lots of wrecked H3’s and more often than not...a wrecked H3 will need some “massaging” to get bumper bolt holes to line up properly.

I’m not saying this is a bad thing...it does save lives. But from a builder’s perspective, I would definitely beef up the frame for serious off-roading.

THORparts frame plates. Laser cut from .250” steel...
10d30a6156f47e503c4696bb27850941.jpg

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I know the H2 frames can bend from a stump pull as well. I think it's the nature of things now with collision safety.

Zach

Mall Crawler
I know the H2 frames can bend from a stump pull as well. I think it's the nature of things now with collision safety.

Stump pull? Really? I’ve really only seen one stump in pictures and those go way back. Really even wasn’t that big of a stump.

Just saying! And hi El Diablo. [emoji33].

2010H3TAlpha

Wow. As somebody that has cut apart and re-welded several H3 frames...I can promise they are far from “strongest ever made”. In fact...they are very flimsy. So flimsy that certain shelf type winch mounts can bend them during a hard pull.

Yikes, which types of winch mounts do you recommend to avoid this bending?

Korby7

Sigh.... one day.

Attachments

• 132446C4-E457-4847-87B1-61182B9D9FD9.jpeg
    132446C4-E457-4847-87B1-61182B9D9FD9.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 463

JPaul

Thorparts or ARB. Not really anything else out there aside from custom (or essentially custom, there is a DIY kit I think).

4speed, speaking of your bumper, I have a mod I'm eventually going to make to mine to put a front receiver tube in just below the fairlead (once I'm done renovating my suspension). Might be something to consider adding as an option.

humvee

Same for the rear frame rails. I deal with lots of wrecked H3’s and more often than not...a wrecked H3 will need some “massaging” to get bumper bolt holes to line up properly.

I once pulled a land cruiser from a sand pit using the rear toe hook. I yanked it out harder than I should with more tries than I should, and definitely feel like it affected the frame alignment a little. I always had a slight vibration that I could never get rid of at 60mph, its now increased and I regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk