• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My Gobi roof rack order and wait time

svxr8dr

While I'm still looking forward to someday hopefully receiving what I assume will be a very good product. It has been an adventure in patience.

03/29/18 - Placed Order for Gobi Stealth rack with Trail Duty. No factory off road or marker lights, and no sunroof. Digital Discount Coupon G100 for $100.00 off and free ground shipping.

05/07/18 - Discovered on the forums that the owner of Trail Duty had passed away. Contacted Gobi that advised to contact my bank and get the charges reversed, and if I presented my invoice they would honor the price and original order date as it pertains to their build queue

06/28/18 Received email of order confirmation from Gobi with an order placement date showing 04/02/18 (I figure close enough)

06/29/18 Received voice mail from Gobi confirming everything was correct on the order confirmation and that they planned on building the rack after the 4th of July holiday. I called back and left a voice mail confirming all looked correct.

07/29/18 Received email from Gobi stating: "I have been working with the production and shipping department looking for a more accurate release date for your rack. I have been unable to pinpoint a date however we are expecting your rack to ship out within the next 1 to 2 weeks."

08/09/18 I send an email requesting an update

08/14/18 Email received from Gobi: "This email is to inform you that your rack is still on the queue for production and it is scheduled to be released to the freight company in the next couple of weeks."

08/27/18 I send an email requesting an update

09/10/18 Email received from Gobi: "Order XXXXX is scheduled to be given to the freight company this week."

09/17/18 Telephone conversation with Gobi where I was told the rack should be released to the freight company this week and if I had not heard anything by Thursday the 20th to call them back.

Total time since original order placement so far - 24 weeks and 2 days

Last edited:

MilamJR

Hopefully you can find someone there who will just tell you the truth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

That is beyond ridiculous. You think they would at least prioritize it for you since you been waiting so long. I would follow up with them on the phone and be more assertive. If they have no idea when you're going to receive it, it might just be best to cancel. You might be able to buy one on craigslist. The way you do that is find an H3 with a rack and see if the owner would be willing to sell you just the rack and ladder. Usually in used condition H3 gobi racks can go for $1000.

Gunner_45

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I had to guess.......I would say your one-off H3 rack keeps getting pushed back behind the more high volume rack$.

Higher volume/Greater profit vs a single pissed off H3 owner.

JMHO

DFW Spartan

Ordered mine direct from Gobi back in February. Leadtime was 12-14 weeks at the time. No discount, but two free accessories and free shopping. Followed up with Gobi week 12, and was told my order was scheduled for production week 14. Received notification week 15 that my order had shipped. Arrived 5 days later.

Rack and accessories were well packaged and protected. Fit and finish were top notch. I have to say, working with Gobi was a dream compared to dealing with Rocky Road and UPS. It's been over 6 months and i'm still not squared away on my sliders.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Unless they've changed things, I believe Gobi had two primary production bays - one for high volume racks and the other for one-off racks, like Gunner brought up. (Or maybe a few high volume bays, but one custom bay).

Gobi is a good small company and it sucks that your order started off in the wrong direction with Trail Duty.

svxr8dr

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their input I really appreciate it. I just got off the phone with Gobi, and was told the rack is currently being painted and would be released to the freight company most likely next week. I brought up cancelling the order but at this point I was told I would be charged as after sales confirmations all orders are final. The Gobi Rep. assured me she would personally followup on this but at this point Im getting rather frustrated.

Acer4LO

First off I'd like to thank everyone for their input I really appreciate it. I just got off the phone with Gobi, and was told the rack is currently being painted and would be released to the freight company most likely next week. I brought up cancelling the order but at this point I was told I would be charged as after sales confirmations all orders are final. The Gobi Rep. assured me she would personally followup on this but at this point Im getting rather frustrated.

Well hopefully that is good news... So basically more waiting. If you don't get any updates soon I would literally ask them to take a picture of the rack and sent it to you just so you know they are not BS'ing you.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
If its any consolation, its been since last October when i first spoke with Gobi about getting new brackets for my rack. In February I called again as my emails didn't seem to go through, turns out they were going to spam lol. Fast forward to this week, got an email asking if I still wanted the brackets, to which i replied yes, and now i am just waiting on shipping date.

They do take a long time, but IMO its worth it, one of the best well built racks and good looking racks for our rigs.

Traxx

I think after being blown off for so long I would call and politely remind them that the FTC has rules and fines associated with expanding time frames like that and that they need to get it finished and shipped or refunded.
Ordered mine through Trail Duty as well, shipped at week 8. At week 12 Gobi calls me to tell me they haven't been paid for it from TD, i'm assuming because the owner passed away, and that I need to pay them directly. That conversation went downhill fast.

Big2dabank

First of all, I did not realize that Phil from Trail Duty passed away. Many of you may not know this, but Phil was one of the early driving forces behind HummerXClub and was very active in the Hummer community.

As far as racks, I ordered mine directly from Gobi years ago (9 or 10 maybe) and that was a different time, but it was a breeze, great company and great customer service. I feel for the circumstances you guys are in, thats a really tough situation and puts a small manufacturer like Gobi in a tough spot having to fill orders from a now defunct business who may or may not have paid them. I suspect there are plenty of other folks in the same situation that ordered from TrailDuty and not just Hummers that all hit Gobi in a flood of pissed off customers. I trust they will make it right to the best of their ability. Good Luck.

amrg

You can always point out this thread by linking it in one of your emails just to show them that other people are watching/reading. Any good company these days hates bad reviews online/social media esp since a quick google search for "Gobi H3 racks" can possibly end up bringing this thread in the first search page! If negative it would hurt future business and this could get them to take you more seriously...

I know I posted a review about borla exhaust for the H3 5 years back and it comes it in the first google search page for "Borla H3 exhaust"

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

svxr8dr

Called today and was told "It will be shipping this week" (which made me cringe a bit on the inside) and that she was preparing the paperwork for the freight company. Her expected ship date is Friday the 28th. We shall see.

svxr8dr

Called today 10/1/18 that I would receive email confirmation of shipping in the next 24 to 48 hours.

Day 187 (26 weeks 5 Days)

svxr8dr

No idea on shipping. Was hoping someone might chime in with their shipping time experience. On a positive note I see the charge finally just posted a few minutes ago...I'll take that as a sign of progress.

svxr8dr

Just received an email Invoice from Gobi:
"Your Custom GOBI Rack is ready to be packed and handed over to the freight Company.
In order to avoid any further delays please make sure we have a good phone number on file so that
the Freight Company may contact you as soon as possible."

and

"SHIPPING PROCESS
Please allow 5-10 business days (Business Days DO NOT include weekends/ holidays) for delivery.
Please note certain US states deliver faster than the 5-10 day timeframe."

DFW Spartan

Just received an email Invoice from Gobi:
"Your Custom GOBI Rack is ready to be packed and handed over to the freight Company.
In order to avoid any further delays please make sure we have a good phone number on file so that
the Freight Company may contact you as soon as possible."

and

"SHIPPING PROCESS
Please allow 5-10 business days (Business Days DO NOT include weekends/ holidays) for delivery.
Please note certain US states deliver faster than the 5-10 day timeframe."
On my order, I received the above notice from Gobi 8/22. I received a call from the freight company 8/28, and scheduled delivery for 8/31. Didn't check where you're located, so shipping time may vary, but mine was from Colorado to Dallas,TX.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

svxr8dr

Just got off the phone with the freight company. Delivery is scheduled for tomorrow

Day 195 (27 weeks 6 days)