• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Weekend trip to Ouray

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Jerry, his buddy Gordon and I went to Ouray last weekend for a quick escape from the Phoenix heat. Jason was supposed to join us but broke his leg two days beforehand. David Kinsey was supposed to join us but hurt his knee two days beforehand.

We kept this trip simple. Day 1 was Last Dollar Road into Telluride and Imogene Pass back to Ouray. Day 2 was Mineral Creek to Engineer Pass, then down to Animas Forks, and CR 2 to Silverton. In Silverton was the necessary stop for BBQ at Thee Pitts Again. Best fried pickles!

I decided it would be nice to make the H3 a trailer queen to make getting there easier, and to give us more options coming back - like if anyone breaks, they can get a ride home. The H3 has a 175,000 miles on it now, but it seems like almost every part is new recently. I didn't test the new front locker, or strain the new OEM CV axles, but I did test the rebuilt rear locker once.

H3%20trailer%20%281%29-L.jpg

H3%20trailer%20%282%29-L.jpg

Parker enjoying the view at the air down spot
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%283%29-L.jpg

Jerry among the aspens on Last Dollar Road
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%285%29-L.jpg

Token pic of my H3 at the same spot
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%287%29-L.jpg

At the first overlook
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2812%29-L.jpg

Parked near the old Camp Bird Mine on Imogene Pass
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2818%29-L.jpg

On a bypass while waiting for about 10 vehicles to come down from the summit on the one track trail.
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2821%29-L.jpg

At the summit
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2826%29-L.jpg

Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2829%29-L.jpg

Heading down
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2831%29-L.jpg

Parker wondering what the heck I'm up to
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2834%29-L.jpg

A picture from near the start of Mineral Creek
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2835%29-L.jpg

Just a couple of H3s in the woods
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2838%29-L.jpg

I forget the name of this overlook
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2840%29-L.jpg

US 550, aka the Million Dollar Highway, aka the road that I will not drive with a trailer!
Ouray%20Sept%202018%20%2841%29-L.jpg

Acer4LO

Incredible scenery! Hopefully I will be able to move out west in a couple years and go to some of these places because it is really boring out here. There are only a few small offroad parks close to Illinois. Question for you guys. What state/area would you want to live in so that you could go wheeling more often but still have every day conveniences like stores, work, and nice housing. Right now thinking of Arizona because I hate snow, it is cheaper than California, and your somewhat close to the big offroad events (KOH, Baja 1000, Sema, etc). What do you guys think?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I would say AZ, TX and CO. But strike CO with your dislike of snow. Lots of good wheeling in TX and AZ.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Looks like an awesome trip! How did you like towing the H3?

Towing out in CA sucks...55 limit across the entire state with a trailer.

Acer4LO

Towing out in CA sucks...55 limit across the entire state with a trailer.

Exactly why CA is out of the question for me. Also gas prices are insane. I do like the idea of Texas but there aren't as many rock crawling serious off road events. They seem to have a lot of people interested in the high dollar show truck scene like the Lone Star Throwdown, but that is not my type of scene. Colorado has some incredible scenery, but being from Illinois I am kind of sick of snow and salt. That's why I am thinking Arizona. Do a lot of people there complain about the heat? That is my only real concern since I have always been living in colder temperature places.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I've been watching alot of tow rigs here in California lately--very few of them seem to care about the 55mph trailer speed limit. I've seen them hustling through traffic at 70 with the rest.
As for me towing the TT with the 2, the reduced speed limit is a nice break from trying to go any faster--that's about top speed on flat roads I'm able to go before temps start going up.

Nice pics Alex, looks like a great trip--how long of a drive is it for you towing the 3?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Looks like an awesome trip! How did you like towing the H3?
No towing issues at all. I did as much passing of other vehicles as I got passed. I wasn't fond of the mountain roads in the rain and dark, but I got through. Averaged 12 mpg for the 1100 miles with my 6.2 (non-tow package). No issues with water or transmission temps in the AZ or CO mountains. It was also nice having the extra cargo space for tools and other odds and ends.

The Mac's Custom Straps axle straps are awesome! I think the Silverado could use better brakes and I hear of others with good results with the Powerstop Z36 package so when I need pads I may change to those pads and rotors.

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I miss those Ouray trails. Engineer was one of my favorites.

Do you have trailer brakes? Granted, my trailer is not as heavy as your trailer/H3 combo, but I travel these ID/WY/MT/UT mountain roads all the time pulling my 3500 pound trailer and have not felt any problems. Again, granted you are a few thousand heavier.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I miss those Ouray trails. Engineer was one of my favorites.

Do you have trailer brakes? Granted, my trailer is not as heavy as your trailer/H3 combo, but I travel these ID/WY/MT/UT mountain roads all the time pulling my 3500 pound trailer and have not felt any problems. Again, granted you are a few thousand heavier.
Yep, it has brakes. Actually had the brake gain on too high after the brakes wore in and it was bucking a bit. We weighed the Silverado, H3 and trailer and all on we were about 14,500 lbs. It's a 10K rated trailer and we think it weighs about 1900 lbs

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Finally got some video put together. This is from near the summit to the Ouray side. I can't find my video files from the Telluride side.

[video=youtube_share;G2MClPDfUQs]https://youtu.be/G2MClPDfUQs[/video]

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Part 2 is ready, which is really part 1, now that I found the video files that I previously misplaced.
[video=youtube_share;iG9RcwKLby8]https://youtu.be/iG9RcwKLby8[/video]

MtnArmor

Gotta say this is one spot were headed back to next year. Two years ago my wife and I went down here and had so much fun in the area we skipped out of two days of our planned Moab trip. Didn't get many photos due to loosing phone, but is loosing your phone a bad thing?? lolIMG_1526.JPGIMG_1523.JPG

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Gotta say this is one spot were headed back to next year. Two years ago my wife and I went down here and had so much fun in the area we skipped out of two days of our planned Moab trip. Didn't get many photos due to loosing phone, but is loosing your phone a bad thing?? lol
Great pics! I try and go to Ouray every year. Don't always succeed in that goal.

I hope you'll consider joining us in Moab next April