• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Cv issues again?!?!?!?!

Dinglezz

Replaced drivers side CV axle last year at this time. Yesterday, H3 begins to make noise similar to that of last year. Slow grinding that I can feel. Felt in on the highway after a roundabout, pulled over... nothing. Then again when backing into the driveway.... distinctly heard the audible grind. Here is two pics of what I see. I think the seal may be gone on the passenger side AND the CV needs replacing.
Driver side from last year appears to be popped out, or this looks normal to everyone?
LMK and thanks in advance

Attachments

• image1 (6).jpg
    image1 (6).jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 220
  • image1 (7).jpg
    image1 (7).jpg
    747 KB · Views: 228

08H3

Can't tell anything about the CV from the picture, but I agree that the seal definitely needs replaced. Those do cut easily when installing the shaft. Get the Kent Moore installation tool (it's just a plastic shroud) when installing the shafts. I believe they do help.

4speedfunk

Depending on how long its been oozing...the front diff could be dry. That might explain the grinding. CV-boot looks okay.

Dinglezz

Update: Put H3 up on stands and only three of four wheels turning. Front left CV apparently popped out. Will attempt to loosen spindle nut (36mm) - thank u site - and tap it back into place. Top up front diff and reassess.

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Don't expect all wheels to turn with single-track diffs. The spider gears inside the diff will transfer the power to one side. The only way the jack-stand test would tell you anything, is if you have lockers in both axles and have them activated. Instead...try spinning one front tire by hand and see if the opposite tire spins in the other direction. If so...that means your single-track diff is working properly (and your half-shaft is plugged into it).

Also...if the CV did pop out, you don't need to loosen the spindle nut. There is approx. 1-1/2" of plunge built into the total length of the half-shaft, and you should be able to grab the inner CV and click it back into place. I have seen H3's that have popped out a CV, and there is over any inch of shiny inner CV shaft exposed...its pretty obvious. This usually strips the splines of the CV shaft, which prevents you from re-using it. Yours looks like the inner CV is sitting in the correct position. Perhaps it popped out, mangled the seal, and clicked back into place?

jakesz28

Don't expect all wheels to turn with single-track diffs. The spider gears inside the diff will transfer the power to one side. The only way the jack-stand test would tell you anything, is if you have lockers in both axles and have them activated. Instead...try spinning one front tire by hand and see if the opposite tire spins in the other direction. If so...that means your single-track diff is working properly (and your half-shaft is plugged into it).

Also...if the CV did pop out, you don't need to loosen the spindle nut. There is approx. 1-1/2" of plunge built into the total length of the half-shaft, and you should be able to grab the inner CV and click it back into place. I have seen H3's that have popped out a CV, and there is over any inch of shiny inner CV shaft exposed...its pretty obvious. This usually strips the splines of the CV shaft, which prevents you from re-using it. Yours looks like the inner CV is sitting in the correct position. Perhaps it popped out, mangled the seal, and clicked back into place?

This. It looks like that seals been leaking a long time.