• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Well I did that wrong!!

Hummin along

Problem......

Seems I just couldn't be happy with the Height of my H3. So I bought a leveling kit. I did not put the little steel extensions on the front. I thought I also adjust the torsion bars correctly. Nope! Front tires are now bald. Brought to get a front end alignment and was told my right upper control arm was bad and rack & pinion bushing is also bad. Being this thing is all wheel drive, and my front tires are now smaller that my rear tires the transmission is probably having issues because the different height from the front to the back tires.

So now my question is, I should take the to two large torsion bar bolts out and start back out at a base line. I see 23.5" is the max from the hub center to the fender lip. Is that the max height? I also need 4 (Plus spare) = 5 Tires. Then I can see what tire would be best for the drive on beach. But I gotta start getting this truck fixed, any help is appreciated.

Traxx

A leveling kit is not required, Did you have an alignment done after the leveling kit? Crank the torsion bars to 23.50. Replace your control arms, may as well do both and have it aligned. Rack bushings are a common item depending on the mileage.

rascole

There are several threads here focusing on leveling your H3. Leveling kits are not needed for the H3, a simple few turns of the adjustment bolt is all that is needed, but please read the threads first and always get an alignment done after you level. Secondly, the upper arms are somewhat of a weak area for the H3, they are cheap to replace if you have the time and tools and will require an alignment too. Thirdly the steering rack bushing is also a weak area but there are several kits available to remedy that and are relatively cheap and easy to install. The H3 is not without its faults but they are usually cheap and easy to fix with simple tools. I can say that this forum has helped me tremendously in repairs and advice. Lastly a good AT tire aired down will work best in the sand.

Hummin along

No. (should have) truck seems to track straight though.
Yes I think both should be done on the control arms instead of just one.
I will replace rack bushings.

Is that 23.5 from the center of hub to the fender?

Hummin along

Traxx

Like you, I want my H3 higher. You have 37" tires! Where can I get what you have?

09 H3T Alpha/Adv- |Rancho on 37's and 4.56 |Tuned |Gobi Stealth |Starr Hid |Thor Bumper |Arb Snorkel |Airdoc |UCP |American Roll Tonneau |Arb Compressor |Katzkins |Kenwood |Too many Led's

You must have bought before they were discontinued

amrg

I have 24.5 ish

Everything is pulled to tight.....I gotta fix this
24.5" upfront? If so its too much. The rear sits 24.5" from factory but the front should be 23.5" max for longetivity.

Leveling your truck doesnt mean your truck will wander right or left, its more that the tires will be tilted on one side, which causes that side to wear out faster than the other. Worn out bushings increase that too.

For the beach I run Cooper AT3, 315/75r17 and they do perfectly well. Aired down never been stuck even in very soft sand and loaded up with camping gear. A more agressive tyre such as a hybrid AT/MT will do even better but personally the coopers were more than enough.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

when you level it, you really should get longer front shocks. The stock shocks limit downward travel - when you level it, you're right at the bottom of the shock travel and that, all by itself, can cause you no end to troubles. The upper arms cannot be lubed, so they wear out faster. Further, if one side is bad, likelihood is the other side needs it as well. With all that said, I ran mine at 24.5 forever (80,000 miles and JP is still driving it) and never had trouble with tire wear (or CVs)... the key is proper shocks, good maintenance and proper alignment.

Traxx

I got one of the last Rancho lifts in the country but you can fit 37's with a torsion crank and body lift.

Traxx

Like you, I want my H3 higher. You have 37" tires! Where can I get what you have?

09 H3T Alpha/Adv- |Rancho on 37's and 4.56 |Tuned |Gobi Stealth |Starr Hid |Thor Bumper |Arb Snorkel |Airdoc |UCP |American Roll Tonneau |Arb Compressor |Katzkins |Kenwood |Too many Led's

You must have bought before they were discontinued