• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Route Planning Seattle to Moab

RamRod

Hey guys!

Now that I know I am heading to Moab for the H4O event I want to start planning my route.

I am curious what things that are on my way that would be worth a diversion to go see, after all I will be crossing 4 state lines to get there and I am sure there is lots to see of the beaten path.

The general route is going to be:

5a2cbd2e00e3da276a6dafb2ab93cb7c.jpg

But by no means do I want to stay on the interstate the whole time!

Also, if anyone is going along this route and wants to convoy to the event I would be cool with that!

Thanks guys!

Last edited:

JPaul

You'll be passing right through my area (Salt Lake). What day and time do you think you will be hitting that point? I'm going to be driving down probably Saturday morning, Friday evening at the earliest.

I just did the Seattle to Salt Lake run a couple weekends ago when I picked up the Alpha and that was a looong drive, but I also got almost no sleep the night before and didn't leave the Seattle area until about 3:30pm.

It'd be awesome to have a group of Hummers passing all the Jeeps coming back from Easter Jeep Safari (Most of them are trailered I might add).

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RamRod

So the absolute earliest that I would make it to Salt Lake city would be on the Sat around 11:00-13:00

If I stay on the interstate the whole time then I might just make Friday about getting to Twin Falls, ID find a place to camp then do the last 6 hours Sat morning to Moab and get there mid day...

I am thinking that I would like to make pit stops on the way and check things out, so Twin Falls might be a bit of a stretch target for day 1 of driving

Traxx

You could make a pitstop and drop that snuggie :) I'd imagine I5 would be a bit quicker than the Bremerton side. What date is that run?

RamRod

You could make a pitstop and drop that snuggie :) I'd imagine I5 would be a bit quicker than the Bremerton side. What date is that run?
I was trying to think of a way to bring it with me, but with the tent on the back I don't think it would work out

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Traxx

I would love to go to Moab but I don't think I could get everything finished in under a month with this craptastic weather.

JPaul

Man, you're right, there is only a month left and I still have to at least get my UCP swapped over to the Alpha before that. Maybe I'll pull my roof rack off the red H3 so that I can pull it into the garage, drop the UCP, back the red one out and pull the Alpha in over the ucp and lift it back up and bolt it in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RamRod

I hope to finish building my Rancho compatible trans skid tonight.... based on good weather and not running out of light

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
With your timing, it sounds like an alternate route to Moab would be tough to make with the extra time and distance. It could be worth going the alternate route on the way back assuming the weather cooperates.

I've only driven in the NW once but it does look like you'll be mostly interstate. You could detour to Yellowstone on the way back as it's not too far out of the way, then head up towards Big Sky to Interstate 90. And while looking at the map just now, I accidentally clicked on Bannack, MT, a neat looking ghost town off if 15. Not exactly on the Yellowstone route, but if you stayed on 15 you could check it out.

RamRod

With your timing, it sounds like an alternate route to Moab would be tough to make with the extra time and distance. It could be worth going the alternate route on the way back assuming the weather cooperates.

I've only driven in the NW once but it does look like you'll be mostly interstate. You could detour to Yellowstone on the way back as it's not too far out of the way, then head up towards Big Sky to Interstate 90. And while looking at the map just now, I accidentally clicked on Bannack, MT, a neat looking ghost town off if 15. Not exactly on the Yellowstone route, but if you stayed on 15 you could check it out.

Last time I was on my way to Yellow stone we passed through a really interesting gold mining town that I can't find for the life of me, we didn't stop but I always wanted to go back!

That is a cool little ghost town!

I think I will cannon ball on the way down then just remember places I want to check out for my drive back and just take my time on my way home

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
From Idaho Falls to W. Yellowstone is about 1.5-1.45 hours (dry driving conditions certainly not today).
If going into W. entrance, you can exit the NE exit into Cooke City then drive the beartooth highway (usually open by April 1) to Red Lodge, head 30 miles north and hit I90. Great scenery.