Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Bogger
    Thanks
    Slow going thanks to the cold and just being tired from this entire year.

Managed to at least get the rivnuts in. Started out by measuring everything off the glass and marking the glass with a sharpie.

Next up was putting the trim back on, transferring my measurements and marking the drill locations, then drilling 1/8" pilot holes through the trim and the aluminum angle. I then drilled out the aluminum for the rivnuts. Since I am using metric rivnuts my standard drill bit sets didn't have the size I needed, so I ended up having to take some time running over to Harbor Freight and buying one of their 29 piece fractional sets.

For the installation I just used a M6 bolt, nut, and a piece of flat strapping that already had holes in it. It's a cheap and easy method for installing rivnuts without buying the tool that may or may not break on you unless you spend a couple hundred dollars. You simply hold the flat stock in place so that the rivnut doesn't try to spin, hold the bolt in place as well using a wrench, and then turn the nut with a wrench to set the rivnut.

I also added some red threadlocker to help secure the rivnuts. While they can hold in place pretty well usually, and in this case especially since it's able to bite into the aluminum nicely, you can run into instances where the rivnut may spin if it's over-tightened or the bolt seizes in it. Hopefully neither will happen in my case, but it doesn't hurt to be proactive.

I should have done some testing on the extra bit of aluminum angle to make sure the rivnuts would work the way I was anticipating, but I used a mirror to make sure they were flaring correctly. It's a bit hard to see here but if you look you can see the rivnut flaring out and biting into the aluminum.

Rivnuts all in place and ready for the electrical panel to be bolted in (once I fabricate it of course). This whole setup should be plenty strong and provide years of service.

2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

Bogger
    Thanks
    Finally got it mostly buttoned up today. It's complete enough that I was able to get the trim back on and the seats in so that my kids can ride with me again.

First up was making a chafing guard for the upper hole. I used some door edge trim that I cut to allow it to flex enough.

To make a sheath for the ground cable I took some heater hose, cut it in a spiral (so that it will stay on even with bends), and wrapped it around the cable. I ran into trouble feeding it back through the pillar as the heater hose kept getting caught and then trying to peel off. To fix that I used some of the adhesive heat shrink and used that to fasten the one end of the hose to the cable. Taking the subwoofer out to gain access to another hole in the pillar helped as well. I'm going to put some heatshrink on the upper end as well once I have everything all in place to make it clean.

2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Bogger
    Thanks
    Next up was routing the positive cable. I gave myself several extra inches when I shortened it, since I know it's easier to shorten it again than it is to have to buy a whole other cable. Turned out to be a good thing as the extra length I gave myself ended up being just right once I had the cable properly routed and fastened into place.

And here it is with the trim back in place:

Now that this part is done, I am going to take my time to get the rest of it finished up. I still need to fabricate the panel that will go in the window, get that mounted as well as the fuseblock, run the cables up in the engine bay, and then start on the rest of the wiring for the fridge, radio, inverter, etc.
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA