Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    Bogger
    Thanks

JPaul's Alpha build

So after a whirlwind of activity to make it happen, within 4 days of whishing I had an Alpha, especially since I am going to start towing a trailer with my family loaded in the H3, I ended up with SuperBuick's 2008 Alpha H3. Here it is in Duvall, Washington after stopping for gas on the start of the trip home:

And here it is after over 800 miles in two days back home:

First things will be giving it a good once over, replacing the passenger axle with one of the spares SuperBuick gave me (the inner CV boot decided to spring a leak apparently, but it made it home jsut fine. I didn't even notice it until I was looking everything over again after getting home), and then begin the process of swapping add-ons from my old H3 to the Alpha (such as the roof rack, dash cams, etc).
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JPaul For This Useful Post:

cbetts (02-11-2018)

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    be sure and check the oil. the oil change schedule was every 5,000 miles - so when the odometer hit 5 or 0 it was changed.
    This too shall pass
    on a tow truck

Bogger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
    be sure and check the oil. the oil change schedule was every 5,000 miles - so when the odometer hit 5 or 0 it was changed.
    I was checking it along the way. Didn't seem like it was burning much. The odometer was just under 157,000 at some point during the trip, so it's about halfway to needing another change if you do it on the 0/5k odometer mark. When were the other fluids changed out? Any idea?
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    transmission fluid was about 100 miles ago. Radiator was replaced a few months ago, fluid changed then. Transfer case was rebuilt in Sept - so new fluid. Front differential was at the same time as t-case. Rear, dunno... maybe a couple years ago.
    This too shall pass
    on a tow truck

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SuperBuickGuy For This Useful Post:

JPaul (02-12-2018)

Bogger
    Thanks
    Sweet, that saves me some work and money. Went to the DMV this morning to start the registration and title process. $886 for registration and sales tax...
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JPaul View Post
    Sweet, that saves me some work and money. Went to the DMV this morning to start the registration and title process. $886 for registration and sales tax...
    Wait wut? Sales tax on a private sale?

Bogger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Acer4LO View Post
    Wait wut? Sales tax on a private sale?
    Welcome to Utah.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Mud Terrain
    Thanks
    Good thing you don’t live in Ca. the tax would have been more. As if the DMV doesn’t rape us enough, everyone’s registration is going up $100.00plus this year.

Bogger
    Thanks
    I was able to swap the axle out tonight. Took me longer than I wanted of course. Not sure why I forgot about all the bits I needed to unbolt in order to be able to swap the axle, but there you go.

Seems the tear was a small one in the valley of one of the bellows. After wiping away most of the grease, it looks like that might have been there for a while, but 80 mph for several hours helped the grease find a new home outside of the boot.

I noticed the driver side has a small leak as well on the outer boot, but that one was barely wetting the boot, so I'll probably just find where the hole is and see if some adhesive sealant will take care of it. I'd rather not go to the trouble of pulling that side apart as well just yet.

Took it for a spin afterwards and everything seemed fine, so im going to take it to work tomorrow and see if I can get it to pass emissions. My only concern is if they are going to be sticklers about there only being one cat on each side instead if two. I'm really hoping that they'll just check to make sure there are cats and that it is passing the emission levels it needs to hit and that there are no codes.

I have to say, the brakes on this thing are awesome! I'm starting to really wonder if there is a problem with my brake booster on my old H3, I've noticed it will lose pressure and holding power when at a stoplight, and after driving the Alpha it definitely doesnt have a lot of braking power. Almost seems like there is a leak in the booster or something that is preventing it from keeping pressure up.

I also love how effortless the Alpha accelerates, even with the 35's. I'm pretty well pleased with it. It's going to be a really fun rig.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

All Terrain
    Thanks
    Lol sales tax for me here is like $40 for my '08 alpha... I seriously don't understand it. The gooberment already got their money.

Bogger
    Thanks
    I know, it's ironic because the legislature here refuses to increase taxes in order to pay for necessary things, and one of them is even going so far as to say the voters themselves don't know what they are talking about and has a bill in place to nullify a voter driven tax increase to fund education more and permanently, because you know, he knows better than hundreds of thousands of voters...
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Bogger
    Thanks
    Took the Alpha to get the emissions done this morning. Not only was it super quick to get done, but it passed as well!! I'm glad they didn't care about the missing set of second cats, that would have sucked to get them added back on.
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I'm beyond thrilled - after the hell it took to get it to pass before, I was afraid there could be issues.

The bit that sucks (and why the emission certificate is in the glove box) is they are $450 each (you need 2) plus you have to drop the cross member to install them....
    This too shall pass
    on a tow truck

Bogger
    Thanks
    Yeah, I was extremely relieved to have it pass. Plus the refinanced loan was approved so that I can cover the sales tax and pay down a bit on my other H3 if I need to in order to be able to sell it. If I can sell my old one for what I owe on it then all the better, the extra money can go towards upgrades.
    2008 H3 Alpha

N1JPA

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Nice, Buick hasn't forgiven me yet for selling it but I think he almost likes the new truck.... almost, Mastiffs are renown for their need for stability in environment....
    This too shall pass
    on a tow truck