• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Compressor upgrade Viair 450P

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Well, my third MV-50 (or whatever name it went under) is dying. I got 10 years out of all them combined. First one was over six years, second one under a year, this one about three years.

Decided I wanted a faster, 100% duty cycle unit. This is the Viair 450P. It's a bit bigger and its soft case is a lot larger than the one that came with the red unit. Haven't given it a try yet. It's shiny, so there's that.

This guy was much cheaper than anywhere else https://www.ebay.com/itm/Viair-450P...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649 by $25-$50 plus free shipping and no sales tax. He's got a good rating on eBay and he shipped it quickly.

Here's the old in front of the new for comparison
i-VzpfhDj-L.jpg

i-Fxv9ZFV-L.jpg

i-GJQstjm-L.jpg

Attachments

• i-VzpfhDj-L.jpg
    i-VzpfhDj-L.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 264

SuperBuickGuy

I have dual 440 Viairs on my rig - I like them a lot.... that said, an ARB is just a bit faster at filling up. Of course, the engine-driven ac pump is a monster :) With all that said, you won't be buying another one because those are stone-cold reliable.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Twin ARB is overheating after pumping 6 37-38” tires from 15 psi to ~50 [emoji19]
But engine driven is a monster 1/2 time of fast ARB.[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Twin ARB is overheating after pumping 6 37-38” tires from 15 psi to ~50 [emoji19]
But engine driven is a monster 1/2 time of fast ARB.[emoji3]

I set my targets a bit lower, 5 tires from 15 to 38, so I'm hoping I'm good to go.

SuperBuickGuy

my viairs never overheated - with that said, they also had waterproof blowers aimed at them that came on at the same time as the compressors.

and yes, the engine-driven York kicks tail. A Viair struggles to do 4.5 scfm, the York does 12.3 scfm.... just to compare, that's the same amount of air production as my shop's air compressor (60 gallon). The only real issue with York is keeping oil in it, once I installed the Viairs, I never touched them until I pulled them out to sell the truck. The York gets oil about every 3rd time out...

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
That is true about York. Mine keeps melting output hose.

And ARB is mounted under rear seat so lack of airflow maybe. But I usually flip seat up on long air ups.

SuperBuickGuy

That is true about York. Mine keeps melting output hose.

And ARB is mounted under rear seat so lack of airflow maybe. But I usually flip seat up on long air ups.

Most up here pack the compressor with snow when doing a lot of fill ups to keep it cooler.

I haven't had any trouble with heat with my York - so far the record is 20 tires aired up after leading an offroad adventure last summer

Well, you stated 6 tires :). Sometimes the spare is aired down too, meaning 5 tires for me.

DOT recommends equal pressure in all tires - for a lawyer, you sure follow a lot of rules :D