• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rubicon summer 2018?

JPaul

Now that I have the Alpha I might look into joining y'all. I might not have 35's on it still though, I am seriously considering swapping my 33's over to it since I mostly do commuting, but those are Duratracks. I have a front and rear locker plus the 4:1 transfer case. Are 35's really going to be necessary with that setup?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Bebe or Rick can comment on the need for 35s vs 33s.

I will say though I would prefer a locker and 4:1 with 33s rather then 35s and open open

bebe

There are parts of the trail you may get strapped up no matter what tire size you have. LOL It's gotten pretty tough. My qualifications for getting through the trail is being prepared, not throttle happy and being able to listen to your spotter.

So yes, you will use you're rear locker and BTM a lot.

Best timeline is Day 1 - leave the trail head from Loon Lake, and loop down to Wentworth Springs - play in Lost Sluice, get some exploring in, swimming in Gerle Creek, and camp. Day 2 leave WWS and play in the Devils Postpile on the way out, get to Spider Lake /Little Sluice for lunch maybe some more swimming, hiking and camp. Day 3 on to Buck Island and the Springs for camp, lots of exploring and history to see there. Day 4, have a lazy breakfast and head out Cadillac.

The fact is you may only do this trail once or twice in a lifetime if you are not a local....so you may as well really take it in and experience the cool stuff most people don't take the time to see.

I recommend a weekday trip if we are bringing mostly stock vehicles of any variety, H1, H2, or H3. I've done the trail with all of them :) Heading in on a Sunday could be busy during the summer. If that's what we end up doing, we'll need to abandon Loon Lake and the granite bowl and just go in Wentworth Springs. (It's my favorite way in to the trail...)

Here's a map :)

http://blog.lowrangeoffroad.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/map-Rubicon-Trail-1170x710.jpg

bebe

I think for minimum req's:

35" agressive tire
Rear Locker
Under Carriage Protection
Quality rock sliders
4:1 case

Good to have
Winch
front locker

Speedy says, spare front axles/tools, tie-rods and at least one spare steering rack in the group. Basically prepping like you would for a moab trip, but pack light!! Don't weigh down the rig!

Face it, if they can get stock JK's through, you'll be fine, but I don't want to hear any complaining about rock stacking LOL. You'll be doing that in a few spots :)

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks Bebe for the input!

As Bebe mentioned the later in the year the easier it usually is. If we shot for August 13th or so would that work for you guys?

Acer4LO

August 13th or so would that work for you guys?

I am good with that. I probably can't do any later than the August 20th as the start date. Would prefer to do it a bit earlier if possible, but I don't want to miss any stops on the trail!

bebe

August 6th puts us back to back with our Disabled Sports run on the 10th - 12th.

July 26-29 the trail is closed for Jeepers Jamboree
August 3-5, the trail is closed for the Jeep Jamboree.
August 10-12 is Jeep Corporate Run /and the Annual Disabled Sport Run (which both speedy and I attend/work)

Going in or out before or after the runs is difficult with all the Staff traffic hauling out. Plus the helicopter runs non stop which is truly annoying.

June 1-15
June 25-30
July 1-25
August 6-31
Sept 1-30

Those are your dates options :)

Acer4LO

For those who have already run the trail, how much gas did you need? Is a full tank plus a 4 gallon rotopax enough for a 5.3L , or should I bring more?

bebe

The stock I5's starting with 3/4 of a tank is fine, the whole trail is 12 miles. Last gas is in Georgetown from the north or Fresh Pond from the south. Takes 1/4 tank to get to the trailhead from both locations.

Acer4LO

Bump it has been a while. So do you guys have a date in mind for Rubicon? I am thinking somewhere in between July 1-25. We really should also get an excel style sheet on this thread kind of like you guys to for moab black sheep week to see how many are interested or going.

SGT-Wright

Someone hurry and decide on a date so I can book a room down there and put in for vacation time. I would like to see August if possible.

Acer4LO

We really need other members to comment to see what works for them. I am still good for the dates I have said. Just to be clear though I am still on the fence about coming. One problem I have is that I need to buy a trailer to haul my Alpha and Waysubs Alpha in my f250.

SoCalH3

I'd love to go, I've been wanting to run the Rubicon for years!! Best chance for me would be Aug 6th - 31st. Work is always be a wild card though, unfortunately... But if there are no surprises that come up at work, there is a pretty good chance I could make a trip in those date ranges.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Any updates?

John and I may run it in August, depends on my workload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk