• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rubicon summer 2018?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hey guys,

I’ve run the rubicon 3 times now and it truly is beautiful. Now that I know the trail well I do feel comfortable leading a group through. Is there any interest in a group of rigs doing it?

Maybe Bebe can chime in on requirements?

I personally would say rear locker, 35in MTs and UCP/sliders. Depending on group size 3 days to run it. Also, depending on the size of the group doing it during the week will leave us with less trail traffic.

No specific dates locked in. This is more or less a discussion of who may want to and when they want to.

Acer4LO

WaySub and I are definitely interested. It would be a big maybe as of right now. I live out in Illinois (28 hour drive), so it would it would take a bit of planning but I am pretty flexible with summer hours. Only thing I am worried about is that we don't have any rock crawling experience. Out here we have a ton of soft mud and dirt trails, so we would be complete newbs. We both have 2008 Alpha Adventures W/ Rancho Lifts with 35s. Only thing is we both need to step up our UCP game. I have RRO sliders, and still need to add schwarttzy's skids back on. Thinking about adding the rubber duck diff cover, and getting the rubber duck shock cover plates or doing schwarrttzy's shock relocation mod. If others could chime in on what mods I might need to do, it would be appreciated. WaySub doesn't have any protection right now. Lol he only has nfab steps, so he would need to get some stuff. If we are able to get everything done, I would love to wheel one of the iconic trails and meet some H4O members!

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Hey, a Rancho lift and 35s would do well especially with an adventure package. I’d skip rubber duck and do solid diff covers. Cheap and stout.

https://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=154&idcategory=9

As for when? Well I’m open for the most part. I will check and see when the rubicon is closed for Jeeper’s jamboree. July-August is a good time. Even later such as September is fine too depending on winter. It can be chilly by then.

Acer4LO

Thanks for advice about the diff cover! I know I can July through August (Minus maybe the last few days). It would be good to know a month or so ahead of time so I can take off work. September is too late for me though, I get pretty busy around then.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
Count us in!! Probably won't go all the way thru but we'll spend the day and maybe a night.

We also have own property about 15 minutes from the loon lake trail head.We have private camping and trailer parking for those that might want or need it.

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
WaySub and I are definitely interested. It would be a big maybe as of right now. I live out in Illinois (28 hour drive), so it would it would take a bit of planning but I am pretty flexible with summer hours. Only thing I am worried about is that we don't have any rock crawling experience. Out here we have a ton of soft mud and dirt trails, so we would be complete newbs. We both have 2008 Alpha Adventures W/ Rancho Lifts with 35s. Only thing is we both need to step up our UCP game. I have RRO sliders, and still need to add schwarttzy's skids back on. Thinking about adding the rubber duck diff cover, and getting the rubber duck shock cover plates or doing schwarrttzy's shock relocation mod. If others could chime in on what mods I might need to do, it would be appreciated. WaySub doesn't have any protection right now. Lol he only has nfab steps, so he would need to get some stuff. If we are able to get everything done, I would love to wheel one of the iconic trails and meet some H4O members!

I would recommend any brand that makes a 10 bolt Cover.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...spx?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pn=ARB0750007B

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...x?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pn=OXLOXGM10-16P

https://www.4wheelparts.com/Drivetr...x?t_c=12&t_s=237&t_pt=4041&t_pn=G/240-2021ALB

I would recommend Iron, but thick aluminum should do fine.

This one is my favorite and what I run https://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=154&idcategory=9

Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Count us in!! Probably won't go all the way thru but we'll spend the day and maybe a night.

We also have own property about 15 minutes from the loon lake trail head.We have private camping and trailer parking for those that might want or need it.

U can’t not do it all, it’s 1way in 1way out.
If u start it’s easier to finish that go back. U only talking ~7 hard miles and ~10 mid grade at best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
I personally would say rear locker, 35in MTs and UCP/sliders. Depending on group size 3 days to run it.

3 days? Are u trying to camp 2.5 out of 3 days?
It’s not that difficult, unless something breaks[emoji28].
I and John may be in but, we will run it in 2 days max. If wife will go on YJ I think we can still do it under 2 days.

speedy

Sir Welds a Lot
IMG_2447.JPG
U can’t not do it all, it’s 1way in 1way out.
If u start it’s easier to finish that go back. U only talking ~7 hard miles and ~10 mid grade at best.

:):) Iv'e been traveling the rubicon for 40 years. Sometimes several times a year. I can count on one hand the times I've been all the way through and they were day trips:whaa:.
We do the Tahoe side one time a year for our Disabled Sports Run in Aug. I find the Tahoe side annoying.
I like camping on the trail but i can go to spider lake for lunch and be back at the cabin by dinner.:cheers:

Winter mode of transportation. That's Elis creek bridge with about 10ft of snow

Last edited:

RamRod

This is something would love to do, but since I am moving this summer again I don't know if I can pull it off or not yet

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

JRWid

I’d definitely be up for Rubicon. Let’s set a date!!!

Acer4LO

Sounds good! It will be good to see you and Bebe.

Acer4lo and Rascole, what dates would work for you?

I am open to any dates from June to August to be honest. Preferably I am thinking sometime in July. 06H3 did you ever do a run through with just the rancho? If so was it a enough to get you by?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Serge, you can run the trail any way you want. Loon to Tahoe, Tahoe to loon, loon back out loon or even Tahoe and back out to Tahoe!

Serge, can you run the trail in a day? Yes, if you hustle. With multiple H3s that are closer to stock it will take some more time, also if they are driving from a far distance letting them enjoy the mtns, lakes and scenery is a benefit too.

Back on topic: Acer4LO, I have not done the rubicon with ifs but after doing it 3 times I can tell you ifs rigs can get it done. Not to mention Bebe was doing the rubicon with sewie years ago with a torsion bar crank.

Let me check the rubicon calendar for when the big events are....

Vdawg1115

I love to run the Rubicon with y’all. What better group than a group of similar vehicles. However my concern is my first born is due late July or early August. Not sure if the Mrs will be okay with me disappearing on her like that after she gives birth. Lol

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Well I am not an expert on Rubicon, but I and John started ~10:30 from ranger cabin and when I broke down .5 mil till camp site it was 3pm. It took us ~3 hours to finish it next day. Considering we thought we got lost on granite slab and backtracked (lost ~1 hr) and had lunch. That is 2 hr there. So yea that is about 6hr travel time. This is why I don’t see 3 days there.
Jeep jamboree parties for a day at the camp. Even if group is slow and with all Kodak moments i don’t think it takes that long.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Personally I would want to take my time, relax and enjoy the time in the mountains. If I am so rush that I need to speed through it I would just schedule the trip for another time.

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
Doing 7mil in 8 hours (1 mph) is not speeding.
Most of people have to travel pretty far for this so it may be wiser to do rubicon in 2 days and run another trail after, if no one will break.

Last time we ran GM, JB and Holcomb trail and we started late ~10:30 and were off ~6:30 it was a nice day at moderate pace.

Last edited: