• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hunner's USA Adventures

Hunner

A Bruce and a CQR off my boat! I had those down on the coast for sand and there are too many rocks in the lake here in Arkansas for that style. They will hold a 10,000 boat in a blow at 50+ knots, ask me how I know??

TXH3T

A Bruce and a CQR off my boat! I had those down on the coast for sand and there are too many rocks in the lake here in Arkansas for that style. They will hold a 10,000 boat in a blow at 50+ knots, ask me how I know??
:whaa:.......:HA: Thats the greatest thing I have ever heard. Its brilliant! I know what Im investing in out here in AZ!!!

Hunner

With all these adventure how many miles on that Bad A$$ rig you got there?:huh:
Well I was just shy of 50,000 (warranty at that time) on the 2006 H3 I-5 but part of the time I trailered that baby to save wear and tear on the rough interstates ha ha and to insure I had a ride home! I had room for a tool box of big tools and a generator, air compressor and a welder, you know for small jobs. I made one trip to Sedona, Arizona from Arkansas and parks in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas and Alabama with the H3 on the trailer.
_DSC5185-1.jpg

The 2008 H3 Alpha with 100,000 mile warranty has 41057 right now. I drive my 95 Dodge (turned up) Cummins Diesel for a daily driver most of the time since the Hummer is a rare and collectible vehicle.:roll: Then go out and drive it offroad, is that an oxymoron? Trying to make that warranty last.
The Alpha is so much better to me for towing and loaded in the Mountains of Arkansas that I have driven it more for long weekends than I did the other. I sold the trailer and bought some other Hummer equipment I wanted as I began to trust the reliability of the CI diff and BP tie rods and added Hutchinson wheels. So right now no free ride for the Alpha.

Last edited:

Hunner

Hey Hunner, you ever tried the Pull-Pal winch anchor? http://www.pullpal.com/
Those have been around for years. No but it looks like a middle buster plow, sort of what we used on the farm for things that got stuck.
I already had these anchors, and more from the 8 years I had my sailboat on the Gulf. Might as well use them. They are out of the way on the front end and easy to get to. Plus after they get all muddy I don't have to throw them in the back.

Hunner

Speaking of Sedona, a few posts back, that was my first far out West trip trailering and running on Red Rock. It was not technical type of wheeling but had some good falls and climbs and a bit rough for some people. We ran some of the more known scenic trails early in the morning to try and miss the pink Jeeps! There were some great views and a great bunch of drivers I got to meet.
I tried to pick a few with Hummers and some scenic shots. I'm hosting on ACDSee so it won't load up the forum. I edited them down several times but it was tough to cut some and I want to try something a little different here bear with me while I do this. Comcast got me back up to 5.62 mbps up load, for now anyway. Let me know how this works for you. Some of you way ahead of me probably know to click on the first image and then you can see how to advance them.
This will last for 30 days so hopefully I can figure out how to implant the code into my blog for it to stay until I remove it. @@##$%&*#$!!

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/11091103/0345560000000040f4242d498beaed128791612f9df1b5/

Last edited:

Hunner

Mr. Hunner....
Just mounted my Pull Pal frame to the roof rack with a set of these from Fourtreks....
View attachment 748View attachment 749

Before mounting, I painted the framework hammered black. Shovel is inside under the tool bags...

ATTA boy F5, someday you will be glad, especially if you are one of those solo runs! Good work.
Now you need to check in to a wireless remote for that winch so you can set that Pull Pal by yourself.
I thought I had some sand ladders tied up but they got away.

Last edited:

Hunner

Be careful you will wind up like me and have lots of "stuff":emb:
I was a Boy Scout, and a son of a farmer, both prepare you for what life throws at you.
Perhaps you me and F5 will go on a mission some day. The geezer patrol? ha

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geezer - CachedGeezer is a term for a man. It can carry either the connotation of age and eccentricity or, in the UK, that of self-education such as craftiness or stylishness.

You said once before we were kindered spirits, that's cause when you been around as long as we have, you at least know a lot of things that do not work!
I'm available anytime to share what could be a good idea, or at least what works for me.

Man I miss Nugget...............
quote"Adventure before Dementia"quote

Sometimes a satellite phone, which allows two way communication can save your bacon,(They can be rented)
while a Spot device could make some people risk danger for no emergency. Perhaps those have or will improve to at least text messages.

Last edited:

Hunner

Well all things considered (time and money) it is time to do some Arkansas re-exploration. It has been years since I traveled extensively here. I wanted to go back and see what is left here in the state after 15 years of running all over the country.
First thing I discovered was pavement in places I never thought there would be. Then development in areas that were desolate. Instead of rocky and dirt hiking trails some of the "natural" areas that had rocks stacked for stairs as the most developed, they got lazy and used concrete!! I tried to hide that in some of my pictures and was really disappointed to see that.
It worked my old body hard to hike in to see some favorite places but I also found with the Hummer I was able to cut out a lot of walking by using trails that are established but only passable to within a mile or so of the natural features. I hope it stays that way. After all, conquering getting there is all part of it. If it was easy everybody would overrun the areas.
A lot of these places I discovered years ago when I was mapping the state thru aerial mapping and ground exploration with quad maps. Now I am recording my locations on my laptop for easy returns.
This is a photo story of natural areas and not many H3 pictures. (that's different!)
This was my first time with the new FX format digital camera and I did lots of lens changes and settings learning what works.
This is also a study for me of the capabilities digital photography has progressed to, having been a film photographer and lab rat for 50 years+!
I am now seeing detail I believe may at least be equal to or better than some of my finer film work.
The subtle detail in the shadows and the ability to now use high ISO and still have quality is amazing to my eye.
I strive to use the lowest ISO possible to achieve the results I want.
My favorite setting is aperature priority so I can select what I want in focus.
Enjoy
First set is Waterfalls.
All the trails and adventures don't have to be "technical" to be rewarding. For me the vehicle can be a means to get me there and at times the point of going in the first place.
This trail shortened the walk in by about 2 miles. So I got in a bit of wheeling, muddin, and rock crawling up and down some steep areas to get me closer.

2.8.19 damn Flicker!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556911994/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556688912/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556674982/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556673778/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8555561591/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8555558757/http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556667138/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93741462@N06/8556671998/ http://www.flickr.com/people/93741462@N06/

Last edited:

Hunner

Next set is Barns or old buildings. I found that many of the ones I shot years ago have since fallen down and hauled away. These somehow are still standing and being used. The photos tell the story of old log construction but covered in rough sawn planking as years went by which are now showing their age, like me!
My trusty steed waits patiently in the background on these trips rather than being the subject. lol

DAH_1622 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1466 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1472 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1475 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1476 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1481 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1482 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1519 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1520 by Hunterda, on Flickr

DAH_1521 by Hunterda, on Flickr

EDIT 7.5.17
I did not like the fact Flicker exposed all my other images when linking to these. Still trying to figure that out. Mean time Photopucket has decided to hold images posted on 3rd party sites unless you pay the top tier plan for $400 a year. I have 50 GB plan I pay for now but cannot justify the other. EXTORTION!

Last edited:

Expendable

Wow! awesome pics! my great grand parent used to live in Little Rock. too bad we never went off roading when I visited those summers many moons ago.

ArtHummer

This is just beautiful.
Hi Hunner, how do you find places like this? Do you know approximately what you are looking for from research or you just go and explore and see what you can find?
I would love to explore and do some hiking, but from what I see, around where I live, everything is privet property and boring as hell. But maybe I just don't know of some hidden jewels that can be explored.

Hunner

As I mentioned I mapped all of Arkansas with aerial photographs in an Aero Commander from 10,000 feet above mean sea level. It took ten years. I also did low level of some areas. The county maps were made from those and I had access to quad maps as well. It was easy to spot some geographical formations and the head of watersheds. I had a Toyota Land Cruiser wagon back then. FJ55. I explored on weekends areas I had marked. We did not have GPS then so it was hit or miss or use aerial photos and stereoscopes to find the watersheds. It has taken lots of ground work and talking to locals to gain access to some of it.
Some are on National Park land and Forest Service lands. Park rangers are a valuable source of information and local knowledge. Upon knowing your intentions are to take only photographs and leave nothing but footprints they usually encourage documenting these areas.
I also canoed lots of these areas and the Buffalo long before it was taken over by the park service.
I also was the publicity and documentation photographer and videographer for the State Hwy Dept so got to travel extensively in my quest for magazine covers and articles and map covers and photographs for the inside while covering other projects.

Last edited:

Hunner

Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock. Most of this was in the Ouachita National Forest.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
Whoops, missed the flood but not taking that shortcut anymore! Ya think water has some power?
Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

I picked up a Wilson cell phone booster I have been eyeing. Where I was going on a weekday I might not see anybody until the weekend!
It does work. It varied but 1 bar became two and sometimes three and I tried it and it worked with that level.

I can say an iPad can survive some serious jiggling and hard knocks. I was running 20 lbs of air in the tires and at times running up to 40 mph on gravel and dirt and natural rock forest service roads. The seat heater and some Naperson kept the back in reasonable tolerable condition.
The new GPS hockey puck for the laptop has greatly improved. Fast cold start up. I was admiring how it did not skip in deep pine forests and noticed it was gone from the temporary place on the dash. I had not applied velcro yet. It was on the floor and working better than the old one!

One other new discovery is the iPad map apps, Motion X HD drive and Google maps kept saying "can't connect to server" so I guess in remote areas it would be best to download those maps. They were missing areas or none at all.
However my old laptop with DeLorme Topo 9 had full topo maps which are installed and GPS tracking happily along. Sometimes older technology comes in handy!

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises.
Wee, it was an interesting day. Got delayed right out of the gate. Took care of that and blasted off. Found out right away I needed to add some shock cords to steady things a bit. So I did. Probably covered over 300 miles. Almost hit total of 60,000 on the clock.

Oh and a 5 amp fuse in a splitter cig plug will not handle and invertor, Ipad, Cell phone booster.

So, travelling roads I have not been on in 15 years or more I found some surprises. This cost me 2 hours.
DAH_1721.jpg

Eh not a good idea
DAH_1729.jpg

Why can't I be there, well a safe distance back.
DAH_1734.jpg

Somebody had a good time.
DAH_1732.jpg

Old Wagon road down by the riverside, down by the riverside.
DAH_1725mt.jpg

I got more rapids than waterfalls this trip. Cossatot Falls
DAH_1735.jpg

DAH_1739.jpg

DAH_1745.jpg

DAH_1744.jpg

DAH_1740.jpg

Besides that I spotted deer 7 times, saw two LIVE armadillos, and a Roadrunner. Beep Beep
Got some interesting remarks at a couple of Mom and Pop gas stations about my "Experimental Vehicle"
Just got home at dark 30, but I got lights, lots of lights................

Last edited:

Nacho

Now with Chese
Great pictures, looks like it was a fun with with great weather. Some day I would like to explore the part of the country.

bendyprissy

Hunner, I know you have been asked this several times already but I have yet to understand your explanation & am hoping you can take it down a couple notches so I can "get it". What you are doing is the off-roading that I want to do. I do enjoy going to the off-road parks, meeting lots of great people, & seeing what my Hummer is capable of, but what I want to do mostly is your type of scenic drives (off the beaten path). You mentioned maps, a book, etc. What is your suggestion for me to be able find locales like yours? And please, be gentle with my lack of know-how.

There are several Texas members on this forum but I have yet to find anyone who shares the same scenic desire, though I wish I could. I tried to find other forums to try & meet like-minded individuals but no luck!