• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Chevy Colorado ZR2 thoughts

skeptic

Lately I've been looking into them. I don't think I could bring myself to buy a new vehicle but in a year or two after someone else has taken the initial depreciation hit I may have to get one. However, this got me thinking about the H3T. Before my H2 I was driving an H3T Adventure and thought it was great EXCEPT that I had the I5 version. Another however - mid to upper $20s for 8 or 9 year old H3T Alpha and hard to find locally. I just can't justify that much $ for a T Alpha, especially now that the Colorado ZR2 is available. So now I'm wondering what impact, if any, the release of the Colorado ZR2 will have on H3T Alpha prices. I could be wrong, but I suspect when used ZR2s are readily available that H3T prices are going to plummet. If that happens and prices drop low enough I may find myself in a v8 powered T.

My last vehicle, an H3T

K6G4k4P.jpg

My next vehicle?
Rain_Chevrolet_ZR2_Crew_Cab_2017_Colorado_Two_Mud_533996_1280x720.jpg

Enter Hummer

No offense to the h3t guys, but I hope they come down in price so I can snatch ‘em up too :giggle: But between ZR2 and H3T, I really don’t see picking one over the other. It would depend on whats for sale around me at the time and Id be happy

Acer4LO

Even though I like ZR2 I could never see myself buying one over an h3t. For me the ZR2 is just too subtle and only car guys will know what it is. Lol I could see the average person calling it a Silverado. I like vehicles that are unique and h3t is just that (also really rare). One thing I don't get about the ZR2 is what with that tubular light bar mount? I thought that was mostly an 80s style. I know people still do it, but I don't like how the light will be cut off by the roof.

RamRod

I really don't think that the value of the T's will go down due to the ZR2... the only thing that would drive down their value is if they started making a whole bunch of them.

The allure of the H3T is that it's rare and its unique among the Hummer brand which has quite the reputation on its own.

Would I drive a ZR2? Hell yeah! Would I trade my H3t in for one? Nope!

One intersting thing I found out over the summer from one of the drivers that works for Rod Hall (which in turn get hired by GM to torture test the trucks) said that mostly the same engineers who built the H3T were on the ZR2 project.... makes me wonder that the H3T would have become had the brand not been shut down!

skeptic

On paper the crew cab v6 ZR2 and the H3T Alpha are very similar. Dimensions, hp, lockers.. Even mpg is "only" 2 or 3 mpg different. The T gets the nod for bigger tires and that v8 sound. The ZR2 comes back swinging by virtue of still being in production and 7+ years of tech improvements. Aftermarket for the ZR2 is going to be much better as well. Cosmetically they are very different, but I like the looks equally well.

When I eventually replace my H2 I'm leaning toward the ZR2 simply because of 7+ years newer and everything that goes along with that. I honestly don't care about the H3T being "rare", although being as common as a Honda Civic would be a bit of a downer. Honestly, the limited number of Ts is a negative to me. Hard to find, higher price.

I know not everyone will agree but I see the ZR2 and H3T having the same or nearly the same customer base. The ZR2 is essentially a 2nd gen H3T with a Chevy front grill, at least to me anyway.

gfbh3t - Since you have both I'd LOVE an in-depth comparison.

gfbh3t

I would agree it is the next gen T. It has plenty of power and the 8 speed transmission shifts awesome. Suspension is stiff like a truck should be, but is super comfortable. I feel it is designed for buyer to put larger tires on with minimal power loss. Being able to use locker in 2wd and 4 high is a nice bonus. 3 things I wish it had would be the hummer oversized steering wheel, detachable steps for the rock rails- it's impossible to get out without dragging leg across rail, and distinct fender flares like the 1st gen s-10 Zr2 had. Aftermarket support is already more than hummer is check out 589fab.com

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
ZR2s are now readily available in AZ and I haven't seen a change in the H3T market. I went shopping a few months ago and each dealer had a few in stock, including the diesel powered ones. I test drove a diesel ZR2 and there were a lot of things I liked about it, but I didn't love it, and I wasn't going to spend $48K on it.

Woodtick

The price on the ZR2 and the fact I don't need a pick up pushed me away. Every dealer wanted sticker for one. My fully loaded GC V8 TH was a lot less money.

skeptic

ZR2s are now readily available in AZ and I haven't seen a change in the H3T market. I went shopping a few months ago and each dealer had a few in stock, including the diesel powered ones. I test drove a diesel ZR2 and there were a lot of things I liked about it, but I didn't love it, and I wasn't going to spend $48K on it.
I expect it will take a couple/few years for ZR2s to have any impact on H3T prices, if ever. Right now the price gap is too large. It will be interesting to see what happens when used ZR2 pricing hits the mid $20k range.

Just for fun I did the build and price thing on the chevy site, $45.5K including a $1k cash-back for it exactly the way I'd want. That's about $15k more than I'm willing to spend on a truck.

RamRod

New car prices in general are baffling me right now.... how are they convincing so many people to get into these long tail 8 year loans with warranty only covering half that term (in most cases), sure it makes the big price tag easier to swallow, but damn its driving me away from even going onto a dealership lot knowing how $$ things are getting! (In Canada our prices are even higher due to our low performing currency ATM)

rascole

The T is a soon to be collectors item, especially the Alpha. Prices may drop slightly but they will never be near what a H3 can be had for now. See them for as low a 8k around here.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Tripling my DD fuel economy would be win for me... though, I'm not sure I'd do the ZR2 package because of those spend shocks....
Those shocks are awesome! At least during my test drive they calmed down the speed bumps and road imperfections very impressively.

skeptic

New car prices in general are baffling me right now.... how are they convincing so many people to get into these long tail 8 year loans with warranty only covering half that term (in most cases), sure it makes the big price tag easier to swallow, but damn its driving me away from even going onto a dealership lot knowing how $$ things are getting! (In Canada our prices are even higher due to our low performing currency ATM)
I'm with you. I haven't had a car payment in a while, and while I'm willing to have one again I'm just not willing to spend the kind of money new cars are going for. Trading in my H2 I'd still be looking at probably $30k.

I can afford that, but there is a huge difference between what I can afford and what I'm willing to pay. I think this is what gets a lot of people in trouble nowadays... Too many people thinking in terms of howmuchamonth and what the banks tell them they can afford.

When I can find good condition ZR2s on used car lots for under $30k I may get serious about buying one, until then I'll probably just keep driving my H2.

SuperBuickGuy

Those shocks are awesome! At least during my test drive they calmed down the speed bumps and road imperfections very impressively.

absolutely, the problem is suspension travel and lift. They're programmed to control a certain amount of lift and a certain tire size - the ZR2 needs a 35 at least, making more travel and larger tires and wheels play nice with the stability computer is just something I have little desire to attempt.... my next vehicle is a Canyon (I like the seats better in the Canyon), so I've driven several at this point...

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
absolutely, the problem is suspension travel and lift. They're programmed to control a certain amount of lift and a certain tire size - the ZR2 needs a 35 at least, making more travel and larger tires and wheels play nice with the stability computer is just something I have little desire to attempt.... my next vehicle is a Canyon (I like the seats better in the Canyon), so I've driven several at this point...
I didn't try the Canyon but I didn't like the Colorado seats. I went with a Silverado.

skeptic

You said H3, did you mean H3T? Either way, the ZR2 can be had in a 2-door extended cab version for a couple/few grand less.

I think most of us agree though, new cars are just way over priced. Not just a Colorado thing or a GM thing. Heck, look at the new Wrangler, it's about the same price as the Colorado. Base wrangler starts at $27k. Rubicon prices start at around $40k and full loaded with all options is around $50k. Since everyone is comparing the ZR2 to the Taco TRD Pro - that starts at a bit over $41k and the base model Tacoma is $25k+.

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

It's funny to me - the overpriced argument. They're expensive for sure, but my H3 Alpha retailed for $52,000 in 2008. A ZR2, with all the toppings and diesel is $51,000...so I don't get that particular criticism.

I don't know what your TRD pricing comes from. I just had someone in my office that spent $55,000 before bolt ons for a TRD pro - his own statement, he started looking at GM trucks when there were problems with his Toyota (yeah, I know, no one believes Toyota can build lemons) and was quite pissed to realize he could have had the same options and truck for $41,000. To get a TRD that is comparable to the ZR2 isn't possible (the shocks) but to get lockers and the rest puts the TRD in the $60,000 range.

Last edited:

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
U guys started sounding like old people
When gas was 5c a gallon.

Any decent car is 75k+ these days.
I hope H3T prices will continue to climb. It will give me a reason to keep both of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skeptic

I don't know what your TRD pricing comes from. I just had someone in my office that spent $55,000 before bolt ons for a TRD pro - his own statement, he started looking at GM trucks when there were problems with his Toyota (yeah, I know, no one believes Toyota can build lemons) and was quite pissed to realize he could have had the same options and truck for $41,000. To get a TRD that is comparable to the ZR2 isn't possible (the shocks) but to get lockers and the rest puts the TRD in the $60,000 range.
Where did I get the pricing? From toyota.com where they list the TRD Pro as starting at $41,520. I would not be surprised if options get it up well over $50k. I don't care enough to go through the build process and match feature to feature, but honestly I'd be surprised if it would really cost $60k to match a $40k-$45k ZR2. Not that you can truly match the ZR2, the TRD Pro comes with a rear locker only and of course the high dollar ZR2 shocks that every review I've seen raves about. Diesel is another option that you just can't get on the Taco. If you are including aftermarket costs for things like a front locker to get to your $60k number, I don't think that's a fair way to look at it.

SuperBuickGuy

then don't be surprised, I saw all the paperwork which included the invoice of it and about choked. Of course, again, my opinion, people pay extra money for just a badge - so the 10k increased price Toyota gets from the stupid (even more if you buy a Lexus) is great for their business... oh what a feeling, eh?

as for matching, let's circle back to what I said before - I don't think the ZR2 is worth it because it's functionally unliftable (yeah, it's a word and I just made it up). I put an e-locker in the front of my Hummer (another impossibility), I'm pretty certain I can do so to a ZL1.... those, fully loaded, are 41k retail and 37k out the door if you don't want to use more then Costco pricing. Betcha I'll get the dealership to give me a front axle as part of the deal.... so close to pulling the trigger, so close to sending the FJ40 to its next home and seeing if I can put 54" tires under my H3.... I can't wait, can you?