• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Acer4LO's 2008 Alpha H3 Build Thread

Korby7

Do you disco one side and let that side float or can you disco both sides and is there a place to put the sway bar that doesn't interfere with any movement?

Korby7

Installed the JKS 2001 Front Disconnect Sway Bar Links. Super easy to install. Simple as lining up the new ones to the old ones

(Cherokee XJ & Comanche MJ, 1984-2001, Quicker Disconnect, Fits 4.0"-6.0" Lift)
http://jksmfg.com/i-13306724-cherok...001-quicker-disconnect-fits-4-0-6-0-lift.html

I needed to buy these extra parts for it to work:

[2x] Offset Polyurethane Spacer (M03212-BK-01)
[2x] 1/2" -20 Nylock Nut (37130)
[2x] Stainless Steel Post (A1046)
[6x] Click Pin (03005)

View attachment 23113

View attachment 23117

View attachment 23118

View attachment 23114

View attachment 23115

Had to grease them up!

View attachment 23116

Done

View attachment 23119

View attachment 23120

It looked to me like it would hit the tire if I tried to swing it up.

Acer4LO

Do you disco one side and let that side float or can you disco both sides and is there a place to put the sway bar that doesn't interfere with any movement?

To be honest I have not addressed that issue yet. I would ask Rascole since he did this mod before I did. Also I still need to check the ABS and brake lines to make sure nothing stretches/breaks while articulating. Its gonna be a little awkward to do that since I have a four post lift instead of one that picks it up by the frame.

Acer4LO

Problems With The Wheel Studs

Spacers were added this weekend. Took a lot longer than expected because of more f0ckery from previous owner.

Front ones went on no problem.

i-g6XJz49-XL.jpgi-PcVW4Lg-XL.jpgi-NC7JmWN-XL.jpg

Look what goodies I found when I took off the wheels!

i-M8DT2nG-XL.jpg

The back were a problem...

i-jrPjNs7-M.jpg

Yep... looks like previous owner got some new wheel studs replaced and didn't get the right ones. The H3 has different rear studs than the front ones. Looks short ones that were on there go on the front. I am really glad that I haven't driven this truck over 50mph yet...

i-hvzVcJN-XL.jpgi-3BWXbFZ-XL.jpg

Anyways studs were replaced.

i-kmMRfLM-XL.jpgi-zsGWdKW-XL.jpg

And done.

i-ZCfzsKk-XL.jpg

Last edited:

RamRod

Spacers were added this weekend. Took a lot longer than expected because of more f0ckery from previous owner.

Front ones went on no problem.

View attachment 23249View attachment 23250View attachment 23251

Look what goodies I found when I took off the wheels!

View attachment 23252

The back were a problem...

View attachment 23253

Yep... looks like previous owner got some new wheel studs replaced and didn't get the right ones. The H3 has different rear studs than the front ones. Looks short ones that were on there go on the front. I am really glad that I haven't driven this truck over 50mph yet...

View attachment 23254View attachment 23255

Anyways studs were replaced.

View attachment 23256View attachment 23257

And done.

View attachment 23259
Good catch! There's some new found piece of mind

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

Wheel Spacers Installed

Pic I took of the spacers wasn't too good, so here are two more

i-rw8rb4h-X3.jpg

i-3LpWWdX-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

New Lug Nuts

So when I was doing the wheel spacers, I found some more stupidity that I forgot to mention. There was multiple locking lug nuts on the wheels and some lugs weren't even the same size... Had to order some new ones and just put them on.

i-ghWm9Gj-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

DIY Rotopax Mount

In preparation for the Rubicon this summer I wanted to have some extra gas ready. Got a 4 gallon rotopax, but I didn't want to pay an extra $70 for two mounts, so I made my own.

i-MfCZ47z-X3.jpg

This is the locking nut I used if anyone is interested

i-MRmp6XQ-X3.jpg

Inside these pipes are nuts that have been welded in place

i-JGFhFMw-X3.jpg

Lining them up so I can figure out how to connect them with a thread.

i-8VX7pXp-X3.jpg

Here are the threads on the bottom

i-8PvrfT6-X3.jpg

i-cdGqVNT-X3.jpg

Painting them up.

i-cBv5R7f-X3.jpg

Here is what the final mount looks like. I put wiring loom material around the pipes. Then put a bolt in them to cover them up. I did this so I can screw in another pipe on top of it if I need to run another rotopax. Made a simple custom washer/clamp.

i-6tH3rRz-X3.jpg

i-t6h8Rbj-X3.jpg

i-M6RQK4b-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Modifying/Installing Front Skid Plate

Found a solution to the rancho skid problem: Modifying Schwarttzy’s Front Skid.

Please note this is experimental and hasn't been tested yet. Try at your own risk.

Since the rancho cross member sits lower than the middle cross members, I had to bend the skid. Cut it half way through to make it easier.

i-ZnmG4tR-X3.jpg

i-vhCW5dJ-X3.jpg

Used iron 90 degree thingy with some c-clamps to bend it.

i-qwcdrSm-X3.jpg

i-LPNn8Jj-X3.jpg

Was able to use the the one rancho skid bolts in the front to mount it. Still needed to back rear holes though.

i-t27vT8s-X3.jpg

I did have to add this piece to make use of the other rancho front skid bolt.

i-rBMFdPX-X3.jpg

Drilling some holes on the crossmember for the rear.

i-cPFfg7t-X3.jpg

Boom! It fits perfectly!. After taking these pics I did add a little piece to cover up the gap between the front and rear skid.

i-tQrX4NZ-X3.jpg

i-zjBNK5m-X3.jpg

I did have to do some cutting on the angled part of the skid since the rancho links are in the way.

i-9gKLqxF-X3.jpg

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Here is the final skid. Only cutting and bending that I had to do was on the edges. Pretty simple to do overall. I think I like this idea better than welding mounts onto the Rancho links and then attaching a skid plate from there. This way the skid plate is sitting on the crossmembers instead of the links which I have heard are weak.

i-XmZkXWV-X3.jpg

i-mPCfbHL-X3.jpg

Haven't had time to put them on this weekend. I'll will do that when I get the time and post pics.

Last edited:

Acer4LO

Leaf Mounts Arrived

So excited that these just came in!! Can't wait to install them! Thanks so much Schwarttzy!

i-r8KJfsm-X3.jpg

Last edited:

RamRod

Here is the final skid. Only cutting and bending that I had to do was on the edges. Pretty simple to do overall. I think I like this idea better than welding mounts onto the Rancho links and then attaching a skid plate from there. This way the skid plate is sitting on the crossmembers instead of the links which I have heard are weak.

View attachment 23334

View attachment 23335

Haven't had time to put them on this weekend. I'll will do that when I get the time and post pics.

Looks great!

I started a Rancho trans skid this weekend as well.... I beefed up the Rancho Aft bars with some c channel then need to pick up some plate steel this week to finish it off

I like your version more!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Traxx

that is awesome, I might wind up going this way now instead of modifying the front half of oem ucp. I would much rather have the closed skid versus the ladder style. I need a welder, and space for one.

Acer4LO

that is awesome, I might wind up going this way now instead of modifying the front half of oem ucp. I would much rather have the closed skid versus the ladder style. I need a welder, and space for one.

I also used a plasma cutter to cut the angled edges since they got in the way of the rancho links (as seen in the pics) and to cut the the half circle off to relocate it.

Acer4LO

Hey guys got another question. I am upgrading my CB equipment. I got a cobra ltd 29. Is there anyway I can mount it on the dash (Where the daystar storage piece sits) WITHOUT drilling into the dash?

chaos254

Hey guys got another question. I am upgrading my CB equipment. I got a cobra ltd 29. Is there anyway I can mount it on the dash (Where the daystar storage piece sits) WITHOUT drilling into the dash?
My cb is smaller but it's mounted on my dash(next to driver a pillar). I used heavy duty Velcro and I've never had an issue with it moving

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

My cb is smaller but it's mounted on my dash(next to driver a pillar). I used heavy duty Velcro and I've never had an issue with it moving

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I was thinking that but in the past i have tried to stick stuff to the dash (My CB radio mouth piece thingy) and the velcro did not hold, in fact that plastic surface seems to be the most anti-adhesive surface on the whole truck. I was thinking about fabbing a custom mount but I didn't know if there was any good points to grab on to. The only thing I worry about is the velcro not holding its stick, specifically when I go over a big bump that shakes the truck and than the CB flys off and cracks the windshield.

RamRod

Just throwing the idea out there, but what about buying a Daystar dash and then mounting to it, that way you can cut/drill to your hearts content and then if it needs to come out in the future you just need to remove the daystar dash and no one would be the wiser...

JPaul

3M double sided adhesive tape, the grey stuff with the red backing. Works brilliant as long as you apply it while it's warm. If it's too cold it doesn't stick well until it warms up. I used that to mount both my CB and my fairly heavy 2 meter ham radio on the dash and it held the whole time. The really nice part is removing it isn't too hard, you just have to be careful to not break anything while lifting it off. It comes off cleanly though, I've never had residue left behind.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-03615-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B000BO9L00

Traxx

That industrial 3M velcro works great in the 4" strips. Just prep the surface with an alcohol pad first to remove any armorall type stuff and don't put it on when it's cold.

Acer4LO

Custom Dual 8.5ft CB Antenna Setup

Well it's been a while since I've updated this. Basically I have been installing a bunch of stuff in doing some wheeling so I haven't had the time to post.

One thing I been wanting to do is upgrade my CB. Before I had a uniden 520xl with the 4 foot firestik but.... it wasn't annoying enough for me. So I took some inspiration from panzer07 and created a dual antenna whip setup. Powered by a Cobra 29 LTD

Here are the parts I used. I will include pics of the parts too.

18ft Dual Split CB: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JT77BG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
10ft CB Extension: https://www.amazon.com/Altelix-PL-2...F8&qid=1521773231&sr=8-3&keywords=10+ft+pl259
2x CB Base: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049B769O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2x Heavy Duty CB Springs: https://www.amazon.com/PROCOMM-JBC3...rd_wg=BHbXF&psc=1&refRID=C5BHC6Z0EWK46V92V6CQ
2x CB 102” Antenna Whips: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G2QE8HG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i-NX5LxnD-X3.jpg

First thing was to take off the trim panels of course

i-9dfX8BT-X3.jpg

i-vt3czXm-X3.jpg

i-wP4XRMT-X3.jpg

Then I made a custom mount. I got the idea from adventr

i-SVv3hBK-X3.jpg

i-B3CQJPG-X3.jpg

Then I sent the wires CB wires to each tail light. Had to use the extension of course for the right side.

i-DHXHd5T-X3.jpg

Cut a tiny piece off the tail light so the Cb wire could fit in there.

i-vSCXv49-X3.jpg

Well I was a bit reluctant... but I ended up drilling into the dash to mount my cobra... What the heck this truck has 250k miles and I am never gonna sell it

i-ZH6R3GG-X3.jpg

And here it is all mounted up!

i-q4rLFSc-X3.jpg

i-3j9dtmz-X3.jpg

Last edited: