• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2018 Black Sheep Week Moab - April 1 - 7

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Are you ready for some Moab? As always, we'll start Black Sheep Week as Easter Jeep Safari ends on Easter Sunday. Most wheeling starts on Monday the 2nd, with most attendees arriving on Sunday the 27th. Arrive and depart as it fits in your schedule.

A variety of lodging options are available in Moab, including commercial campgrounds, rough camping, hotels (Motel 6 often has the best rates). Also lots of camping at the Outpost - please check with Neo via PM. Days begin and end at the Outpost. If this is your first time, please send Neo or me a PM and we'll send you the address. All vehicles are welcome - Hummers, Jeeps, Rovers, Scorpions, RZRs, etc.

First timers - the prerequisite is to have fun! As for your vehicle, you'll want the following: good off-road tires, undercarriage protection (skid plates), spare parts for common breakages for your vehicle (CV axles, u-joints, etc.), any specialty tools for your vehicle (wheel locks, odd size sockets/wrenches), air compressor (most air down for the week and air up at the end, but some days have longer roads home so airing up is advised), cooler for your daily bevs/lunch (no alcohol on the trails, please), CB radio preferred.

What's our daily agenda? Meet at 9ish at the Outpost, go do a trail, get back into town, gather around the Outpost prior to dinner to enjoy adult beverages, do dinner (on your own or in a group), come back to the Outpost and enjoy a fire.

First times - no worries, we will not get you over your head or let you do any foolish stuff. We'll keep an eye on you and your rig and coach you through things and build your skills before you do anything too difficult.

Attendee List

Last year's list is below. I will start cleaning up as we get confirmations. Italics is unconfirmed

# in PartyAttendeesVehicleLodgingConfirmed?Arrival/Departure DatesHAM call signState
1NeoHMC2OutpostYPermanentUT
23HummersScorpion?CondoYKJ6JCCTX/CA
1AlrockH3CondoYSat-FriAZ
2Reloader & JeriH3ACondoYSat-FriAZ
2Silverton34JKY~Sun-FriIA
1LagunaH1WJCondoYCA
1JasonJKCondoYSat-FriAZ
1Bebe & SpeedyH3CondoYNV
2RascoleH3CondoYMon-FriCA
1+JPaulH3AOutpostYSat-TuesUT
3WoodtickWJRed RoofYSat night-TuesIL
?TX Freedom CrawlersYTX
1RamRodH3TOutpostYSun-FriCAN
?The Goats!YotesCA
2D KinseyRentalGonzoYTX
2TimgcoJKCampingYFri-Mon?CO

Hell%27s%20Revenge%20041717%20%281%29-L.jpg

Hell%27s%20Revenge%20041717%20%2815%29-L.jpg

Hell%27s%20Revenge%20041717%20%2840%29-L.jpg

[video=youtube_share;fRQg4UFysNY]https://youtu.be/fRQg4UFysNY[/video]

Last edited:

JPaul

I'll be coming down with my H3, not sure if the girls will be coming with me or not, depends on when spring break is for them. It'll at least be for the first couple of days, but possibly longer. I'll know more as we get closer to the trip. I need to do this so that at the very least I have some motivation to get more work done on the truck and so that I can tell people that yes, I do in fact wheel it!

Woodtick

I'm looking to do a road trip in the spring. Chicago to Co,then to Moab, and on to the Grand Canyon. Take about 12 days to make the round trip. It will be a site seeing trails more than a hard core off road trip. I would like to try and hit Moab for a day or two during this week. I may be coming to this site looking for advice on the Moab to the Grand Canyon leg of the trip.

Woodtick

My daughters spring break is the week before.:gaah:just because I own two Jeeps,doesn't mean I want to hang out with 10,000 of them.:giggle:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
There's a lot in Moab that you can do without having to stretch the limits of your vehicle. We do more medium trails than anything else. Okay, they are rated hard in the Wells book but they are not hard. Any of the hard core trails we do usually means that group splits off from the others as not all of our rigs can do all of the same trails, nor do we all want to.

Happy to help on advice for Moab, Arizona, Monument Valley, etc.

napalmsticks

Moving to northern NM on 10 Jan and I'm extremely excited to start attending the events in MOAB. While I don't think I'll have enough leave by April to ride along on this event I hope to join in on the next one.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
You will be close enough that you could come up for a day or two if you can get off. There are always seats open. Hope you can make it.

Woodtick

With the help from Alex!. The first part of our trip being based out of Flagstaff, we hope to hit Moab for a day on our trip back home? I would like to do two days there. Have to get the war departments approval? The hotels are booked, just need a day or two moved around?

Woodtick

Booked at the Red Roof Inn 3/31 and 4/1. Cancelled my room at the Stone Lizard for Sat night. We will head up from Flagstaff Sat am.

Kurt

I'm 50/50 on being in. My contract is up at the end of March. Even if I have to start a new gig I'd probably take a few weeks off, so I'll have to see how the schedule goes. If things go well where I am, then myself and a few co-workers will come up in 2-3 4x4s [my H1 and +2 jeeps probably]