• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

2018 Black Sheep Week Moab - April 1 - 7

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Working on a modest trail for Sunday, as usual. Any thoughts by anyone? Maybe Porcupine Rim https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=12. Woodtick will be on this run with his (stock?) Grand Cherokee so we may need something slightly milder.

We could also head back to Hey Joe Canyon. You remember the one, where I inappropriately yelled at F5 in my frustration. :emb:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I probably deserved it. It was a cluster. From my planning it by myself on a day when there was a few inches of snow the slick rock and then getting lost to the extremely high number of vehicle that came along.

However, it wasn't Hey Joe Canyon. Not sure if the BS troopers ever did it. You access it via Spring Canyon trail a narrow switchback cliff road down to the Green River that we did once and had lunch down there among a grove of really old Cottonwood trees.

I went partially into Hey Joe, it is a great trail, easy, then a really rocky part but due to the overgrowth of Tamarisk it narrows at parts to a billion paint scrappers; so I turned around. The end of the trail is Hey Joe Mine. Alex did it and I remember him bitching about the Tamarisk and his Jeep was narrower than an H3. Similar but worse than the end of Kane Creek Canyon trail.

The trip you are thinking about was to the Secret Spire and most of the people ended up at the Painted Rocks (aka Pyramid Rock; AKA Needles; AKA Tombstone Butte) off the Green River Overlook trail and some I believe did quick run to Secret Spire.

We did Hell Roaring Canyon once, fairly easy trail out by Hwy 313 (I have the GPS route if you want it). Went by Jewell Tibbits' Arch.

Another easy trail, unless your transmission fails is Polar Mesa.:gaah:

Or you could do Lockhart Basin (also known to me as Arm Breaker).

Also, Potash to Shafer, up into Canyonlands. And Dogs ARE allowed on Potash (BLM Road) and on Shafer trail up into Canyonlandsl; just don't turn on White Rim Trail with Dogs in the vehicles.

Woodtick

Working on a modest trail for Sunday, as usual. Any thoughts by anyone? Maybe Porcupine Rim https://www.rr4w.com/trail-details.cfm?trailid=12. Woodtick will be on this run with his (stock?) Grand Cherokee so we may need something slightly milder.

We could also head back to Hey Joe Canyon. You remember the one, where I inappropriately yelled at F5 in my frustration. :emb:
I appreciate your help and concern for my new Hooptie. Since we will only be there for a few days, we do want to hit the modest and scenic trails. We will be based out of Flagstaff and hitting trails the week before. I should have a better Idea on what it can handle when we get there.

Woodtick

It has different suspension modes . Sport mode is slammed to the ground, and that is a 33" tire next to it. Off road 2 brings it up 4" from that or 2" higher than a standard GC. I knew when I bought it, I could only go up one tire size. I've only hit some trails once with it once . IMG_3129.JPGIMG_3852.jpgIMG_3066.jpg

Last edited:

Battle Rattle

I'm moving up to Grand Junction next month, so I'll no longer officially be one of the texas jeep boys, but we'll be around that week with probably a half dozen rigs. We'll fall in and out of your runs and yall are welcome do do the same with ours. After accidentily tackling BFE last year we figure that we might as well run prichett this year, so if anyone feels up to the task, then they are more than welcome to come along.

Woodtick

Flipping through this guide Alex hooked me up with,it looks like the blue trails are doable for my Jeep?IMG_3911.jpg 4wheel parts opened up a store front down the road from me. I now have a rear recovery point. I installed it all by myself. Built not bought bitches.:giggle::shame:IMG_3912.jpg

Last edited:

rascole

Looks like there was a double booking of a condo. If there is anyone still looking for a place to stay send me a PM. If there is no interest I need to cancel by Tuesday. See you soon.

RamRod

So I am still contemplating if I can made the trip down or not... Been looking up logistics this evening and it looks like it will be 41 hours of driving round trip if I do decide to come/can get the time off work.

5a2cbd2e00e3da276a6dafb2ab93cb7c.jpg

My fav part:

df48475c271e4c51e2f01d647bb87dd9.jpg

.... I have a bunch of projects to finish up if I am going to make it as well..... Lots to think about

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RamRod

Alright I will be coming this year!!

Planning on making my way down starting Friday and will likely get there Sat or Sunday then leave on the Friday

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

RamRod

Oh and I talked with Neo and he has room for me at the out post.

Started getting things prepped this weekend to get the T in top shape for the trip

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk