• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Finally installed snorkel, have question

Bruces

Finally got the snorkel that I got from group buy on here installed. Already noticed a lower IAT. Question is today it came a down pour while driving to work (50 mile trip) and a small amount of water made its way into breather box. I have no doubt it was sucked in, not a leak in the install. What does everyone do to prevent it from sucking water from the top when it is pouring? I have seen some guys have the ram facing backward but I’d rather not do that.

I have a bunch of frog skinz would that restrict the airflow too much?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
you could get something called a cyclone pre-filter. Not really sure which model is designed to be used with the I5/V8 but if i remember they are different as the required CFM is different on each engine.

4speedfunk

I’ve ran mine for years with no issues. Any water that makes its way to the box is minimal (and probably the same as the stock fender well intake). My biggest complaint is that it snags tree limbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JPaul

A little bit of water is going to be fine, at most the filter might get damp, but if it draws any water through it will become more or less atomized and pass safely through the engine. If there's enough water to keep a goldfish happy though, you might want to start worrying about it. You have to think that with the number of bends between the snorkel opening and the filter that most of the water (if not all) is going to be just running down the sides of the tubes and into the bottom of the airbox rather than being sucked along in the airflow and hit the filter. Water is heavier than air and it's going to want to keep going straight around all those bends. You'd have to be going WOT to risk any water really making it to the filter itself. What the snorkel is really doing is keeping your intake from acting like a straw and sucking in nothing but water or water mixed with a little air.

Think of it like this, when you're drinking a soda in order to get any soda in your mouth the straw has to be all the way submerged, if you have even a little bit of the other end exposed you end up sucking in mostly air (like when trying to get that last little bit of soda at the bottom of the cup). And that's with a straight tube.

You'll be fine unless someone is spraying a firehose into your snorkel.

RamRod

I do have a snorkel scoop with a frog skin cover that I tested for a while... I didn't notice any difference when it was on or off power wise, I never checked the amount of water making its way into the intake with either set up