• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Return of the Hummer? GM is Going All Electric

What's Your Stance on an All-Electric Hummer?

• I want one and think GM will make them

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I want one and think GM won't make them

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I wouldn't be interested and think GM will make them

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I wouldn't be interested and think GM won't make them

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Hell no, Hummers shouldn't ever have to change for the tree hugging commies

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Forget the Hummer brand at this point, lets just move to Jeeps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

USMC_315

GM recently announced that they're going to be moving towards an all-"green" line up across the board for their company by, if I remember correctly, 2025. While I'm not a fan of that move and probably won't purchase autos from GM, I would be absolutely ecstatic for one product.... an all electric Hummer. We've already seen companies start to modify H1's into hybrids or full fledged "green machines", and they were good enough to interest the Governator himself to buy one. Not having to deal with the negative light for being a gas guzzling behemoth might give GM enough wiggle room to start bringing back the brand and dip their hand into the offroad market once again.

What do you guys think? Would you purchase an all electric or hybrid Hummer (H1, H2, or H3)? Do you think GM will overlook the idea to reach a very loyal and passionate niche that is making Chrysler and Ford 100's of millions of dollars?

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
It's not feasible. Battery tech isn't capable of holding a meaningful charge. I for one refuse to buy an electric vehicle, I'd rather buy older and older cars just to have a has engine lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

USMC_315

It's not feasible. Battery tech isn't capable of holding a meaningful charge. I for one refuse to buy an electric vehicle, I'd rather buy older and older cars just to have a has engine lol

Not at the moment, but for the very near future. It wouldn't take the long, all it would require would be a car manufacturer that wants to move to all electric and has the funds to do so. Also, just look at Tesla and you can see what those electric cars can do, just food for thought...

https://www.trucks.com/2017/10/03/general-motors-hydrogen-fuel-cell-electric-truck/

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Not at the moment, but for the very near future. It wouldn't take the long, all it would require would be a car manufacturer that wants to move to all electric and has the funds to do so. Also, just look at Tesla and you can see what those electric cars can do, just food for thought...

https://www.trucks.com/2017/10/03/general-motors-hydrogen-fuel-cell-electric-truck/
All good points, but until I can drive across the country without having to stop for an extended period of time to recharge, I'm not drinking the kool aid. Plus who doesn't like the good old rumble of a v8, or gas engine in general.

skeptic

That's not really correct, IMHO. The problem is charge time, weight and cost, not range (mostly). http://bollingermotors.com/ Not really a Hummer replacement, but it is a big SUV with up to 200 miles range, a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds and some cool design features.

I do agree that battery tech isn't quite there yet. Once something like graphene superconductors or glass (solid state) batteries or whatever the next big breakthrough is makes it to mass production, the industry will turn on a dime. Forget about Hummers for a minute, consider when the EV version of any vehicle will cost roughly the same as the gas version with a similar range and ability to re-charge in a reasonable time for a fraction of the cost. Throw in the same or better performance and significantly reduced maintenance costs. The big question is what is "reasonable time" for re-charging. 5 minutes? 20 minutes?

The lack of v8 sounds will be missed for sure, but I'll trade improved performance, lower running costs and increased convenience (re-charging stations at home, restaurants, banks, stores and soon to be more plentiful than gas stations).

GM isn't the only, or even the first, to talk about a move to all electric vehicles. I think Volvo was the first, but most or all manufacturers are greatly expanding EVs. Hand in hand, countries (and California) are talking about and preparing to ban all vehicles other than zero-emission vehicles. It doesn't matter what we want, in the not too distant future EVs will be the best or only option.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
That's not really correct, IMHO. The problem is charge time, weight and cost, not range (mostly). http://bollingermotors.com/ Not really a Hummer replacement, but it is a big SUV with up to 200 miles range, a 0-60 time of under 5 seconds and some cool design features.

I do agree that battery tech isn't quite there yet. Once something like graphene superconductors or glass (solid state) batteries or whatever the next big breakthrough is makes it to mass production, the industry will turn on a dime. Forget about Hummers for a minute, consider when the EV version of any vehicle will cost roughly the same as the gas version with a similar range and ability to re-charge in a reasonable time for a fraction of the cost. Throw in the same or better performance and significantly reduced maintenance costs. The big question is what is "reasonable time" for re-charging. 5 minutes? 20 minutes?

The lack of v8 sounds will be missed for sure, but I'll trade improved performance, lower running costs and increased convenience (re-charging stations at home, restaurants, banks, stores and soon to be more plentiful than gas stations).

GM isn't the only, or even the first, to talk about a move to all electric vehicles. I think Volvo was the first, but most or all manufacturers are greatly expanding EVs. Hand in hand, countries (and California) are talking about and preparing to ban all vehicles other than zero-emission vehicles. It doesn't matter what we want, in the not too distant future EVs will be the best or only option.

There is no doubt the tech is coming, i'm just not happy about it. There is a whole infrastructure side to it that will need to catch up. It just doesn't appeal to me.

As far as the recharge time goes. It would have to be a full charge in about the same time as i already spend on a gas station. So think refilling from empty to full, somewhere in the 25-30 gallons that modern trucks/suvs have, so say 15 min or so, maybe a few more if i go to the bathroom and get a soda. I think the current time to fully charge a tesla is around 75 min? quick google search popped out that number. Sure tesla has managed to break the 300 mile range on a charge, but that's not that impressive considering my dads ford truck will go 700 miles on a single tank (yea that pushing it i know, point still stands though).

Just saying, yes its coming, it'll come down to the bottom dollar amount, and if its cheaper to own for the average consumer the industry will take off.

And then there is the electrical grid side of things to consider to meet the demand of that much more electrical draw. Now if more electrical cars means more nuclear power plants, sign me up.

That electric SUV thing does look pretty cool btw, not sure how well it would fare in repeated water crossings lol

Last edited:

Kick'n Dust

Well talked with my coworkers this morning and all we heard is from the media. GM hasn't said anything at the dealership level yet as far as I know. Though I think I'm going to start taking more hybrid/electric and diesel training. Commercial diesel isn't going anywhere. Maybe I need to update my resume lol

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

Ghostbuster

I think they should bring back the H3 and make the HX. Redo the H3 interior, maybe do a small redesign of the exterior, install a new transmission, 2wd/4wd t case. Make the base engine the 3.6l v6 from the Canyons and Colorados. Provide the diesel option from the Canyons and Colorados, also the new 5.3l v8 and 6.2l v8.

Then make certain body parts out of aluminum to save weight.

You could easily get 25-30 mpg highway with something like that.

That would be great for a highly capable 4 door off road suv. I would hope for an upgrade to the IFS and front diff.

They could do this type of stuff right now.

Also, build the HX with the same drivetrain and powertrain as the “new” H3.

I think that these could rival the Jeep Wranglers. It would definitely cut into their sales.

But if you want to talk about futuristic stuff like electric Trucks and SUVs... then I think something more like a Prius system would be implemented first along with weight saving measures. Before battery tech catches up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mb30sdl

Hamster that pokes Bears
U can't beat electrical acceleration, recently wife drove her old GL450 after driving Tesla for over a year. In her words it was a different experience "you step on gas and nothing happens for a while". We kept old car to see if full electric is something u can leave with and it's working just great for her.

charging is something that needs to be greately improved, specialy for long trips. On other hand on the way to Yellowstone Lambo Aventador passed me on H2 with loaded trailer 3 times between OC and Vegas. He needed to fill up, where I made it on one tank.

skeptic

There is no doubt the tech is coming, i'm just not happy about it. There is a whole infrastructure side to it that will need to catch up. It just doesn't appeal to me.
I hear this a lot, but I don't really understand. Current tech, sure, but electric will get to the point where it's better in every conceivable way just without the loud engine noises. I'll even go so far as to say at some point people will not understand why anyone would want a loud smelly combustion engine when electric is so nice and quiet.

As for infrastructure, that's probably farther along than you realize. Certainly there is quite a bit to go, but adding a charging station is trivial compared to gas stations. You can add a charging station any place with electricity, and in theory, any place you can install a solar array.

https://www.plugshare.com/
As far as the recharge time goes. It would have to be a full charge in about the same time as i already spend on a gas station. So think refilling from empty to full, somewhere in the 25-30 gallons that modern trucks/suvs have, so say 15 min or so, maybe a few more if i go to the bathroom and get a soda. I think the current time to fully charge a tesla is around 75 min? quick google search popped out that number. Sure tesla has managed to break the 300 mile range on a charge, but that's not that impressive considering my dads ford truck will go 700 miles on a single tank (yea that pushing it i know, point still stands though).
Yep. I'd even be ok with a 200 mile range if recharging time was similar to filling your tank.

Just saying, yes its coming, it'll come down to the bottom dollar amount, and if its cheaper to own for the average consumer the industry will take off.

And then there is the electrical grid side of things to consider to meet the demand of that much more electrical draw. Now if more electrical cars means more nuclear power plants, sign me up.

That electric SUV thing does look pretty cool btw, not sure how well it would fare in repeated water crossings lol
You hit a major issue that very few people talk about - what happens when everyone has an EV but the electric grid can't keep up? I don't know, but I do think solar panels + battery banks at home can make a huge impact if enough people install them.

I think they should bring back the H3 and make the HX. Redo the H3 interior, maybe do a small redesign of the exterior, install a new transmission, 2wd/4wd t case. Make the base engine the 3.6l v6 from the Canyons and Colorados. Provide the diesel option from the Canyons and Colorados, also the new 5.3l v8 and 6.2l v8.
<snip>
They could do this type of stuff right now.

I'm hoping GM comes out with a Trailblazer (or whatever they want to call it) based on the Colorado. Even though one based on the current Colorado ZR2 wouldn't be as capable as an H3 Adventure, it would be good enough for most and be a great starting point.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
As for infrastructure, that's probably farther along than you realize. Certainly there is quite a bit to go, but adding a charging station is trivial compared to gas stations. You can add a charging station any place with electricity, and in theory, any place you can install a solar array.

You hit a major issue that very few people talk about - what happens when everyone has an EV but the electric grid can't keep up? I don't know, but I do think solar panels + battery banks at home can make a huge impact if enough people install them.

I'm hoping GM comes out with a Trailblazer (or whatever they want to call it) based on the Colorado. Even though one based on the current Colorado ZR2 wouldn't be as capable as an H3 Adventure, it would be good enough for most and be a great starting point.

Yea i'm not too concerned with charging stations and that kind of infrastructure, as you said its pretty easy to add that to what already exists, 100% agree there.

My concern, as you mentioned, is the grid. With the current push to phase out coal, and the general movement away from fossil fuels, its going to be difficult to keep up with demand without some sort of major reliable power generation. I can see solar panels+ wind with a combination of batteries being used to store energy and then used during peak hours and peak demand throughout the day, especially as battery tech improves. For the long term though IMO nuclear is the way to go fix this issue. The problem is that they are very expensive to build, and no one wants to have one near them due to mis-conceptions from three mile, Chernobyl and the Japan plant. On the upside though the actual price per MWh is relatively cheap, cheaper than coal, not necessarily as cheap as natural gas (depending on what price gas is trading at). And then there are the actual transmission lines, to put it simply, more will have to be built.

I work for energy trading/power marketing firm, and we deal with this on daily basis. Heck on a hot summers day with everyone pumping their A/C units we struggle, can only imagine what plugging in a few million EV cars would do lol

Agreed, GM needs a small SUV that can compete with the likes of the 4runner, Wrangler, etc. That market is huge and they are trying to tap into into again with the ZR2. I haven't driven one, but I read somewhere that they went with another weird diff again and aftermarket companies aren't ready to support it. Pure speculation from random internet comments lol

Hunner

All good points, but until I can drive across the country without having to stop for an extended period of time to recharge, I'm not drinking the kool aid. Plus who doesn't like the good old rumble of a v8, or gas engine in general.

There is an app for that! They will probably make an option to have the sound, lol

At one time there was an H3 converted by some company that claimed it was the future.

Kick'n Dust

The ZR2 is an expensive truck for what it is. The few I've seen on our lot run about 48k. I only paid 15k for my H3 when I bought it years ago. The price for these new Chevy trucks is ridiculous. I'll just put the parts I want on my H3 and make repairs when necessary until I can't get parts anymore. Body panels, trim and interior parts are what would become hard to find. The drivetrain can all be replaced with anything I desire. I'm hoping companies like LMC Truck will provide parts for the Hummer line like the do for Chevy, Ford and Dodge.

Sent from my Coolpad 3622A using Tapatalk

Acer4LO

Personally I think when it comes to wheeling, the simpler, the better. Not sure how the batteries would mix if you get stuck while water fording.

skeptic

Better than sucking air into the intake I'd imagine. Cars get flooded all the time, it's not good for any car but EV battery banks are well protected from punctures and water and whatever else. Less moving parts, fewer sensors etc. I'd guess EVs probably deal with flooding better than ICE cars.

H3V8

While I would miss the sound of the v8, I would certainly be interested in an electric hummer if it had similar or better offroad performance. My biggest gripe with electrics is the range and recharging. It would be nice to be able to charge the car overnight while I sleep and have a full tank the next morning, but what about when I want to do something other than commuting? 200-300 mile range would be acceptable if there were charging stations all over and it only took a minute or two to recharge.

What about battery-version jerry cans that I can use if I happen to need a bit more electricity to make it back to town?

Looks like the trend by manufacturers is moving towards cross-overs, so I would be surprised if we saw any new hummers ever.

skeptic

While I would miss the sound of the v8, I would certainly be interested in an electric hummer if it had similar or better offroad performance. My biggest gripe with electrics is the range and recharging. It would be nice to be able to charge the car overnight while I sleep and have a full tank the next morning, but what about when I want to do something other than commuting? 200-300 mile range would be acceptable if there were charging stations all over and it only took a minute or two to recharge.

What about battery-version jerry cans that I can use if I happen to need a bit more electricity to make it back to town?

Looks like the trend by manufacturers is moving towards cross-overs, so I would be surprised if we saw any new hummers ever.

Right now pretty much the only car that fits this is a Chevy Volt or the recently discontinued Cadillac ELR. Pure EV for the first 50 or so miles then continue to drive with a gas engine keeping the batteries charged. Unlike something like the i3 which goes into a kind of hybrid limp mode , when the Volt goes into hybrid mode you can keep driving normally.

Maria80386

Electric is ok, but I'd rather see GM continue with their fuel cell SUVs. Obamacare killed that program, the week before I was to get a fuel cell Equinox for a month.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
I'm on the fence with new cars overall---love the great mileage and hey, who doesn't like a new car.

OTH--I hate that manufacturers control updates to your vehicle which may impact performance over economy and also has access to see how/where the vehicle is driven and is gaining even more control over your ability to mod your vehicle.

I've got two 1970 cars in the garage and love how stupid simple they are and don't feel that somebody is monitoring what that vehicle does every time I drive it. BUT........when you drive a bright ass purple 70 Dodge Challenger you can't be fooled into thinking it blends in and doesn't get noticed either! And I know there are pictures being taken every time it goes out of the garage--so much for trying not to get noticed! Everybody in this town knows this car and amazes me every time I meet some one I don't know but they know who I am.....

Last edited:

LagunaH1

I'd be interested in an offroad vehicle which was all electric, if the motors were integrated with the wheels. Imagine the torque management and traction control one could build that way. -On the other hand, I also imagine the unsprung weight would be pretty significant

Last edited:

SuperBuickGuy

You missed the bit about GM building hydrogen Colorados? there is no way GM is doing Hummer again, they may make another SUV with the ZR2 package, but your only hope would be it would be a Hummer by GMC (or Cadillac).... it'd be a badge, not a brand. In any case, there is no chance they build it.

MilamJR

fe4094934826dfe2f95a82e5ed0b724f.jpg

This looks pretty cool. Also, here is a link to a video that talks about the history of the Hummer brand and possible future.

https://youtu.be/TixhSEGJt3k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk