• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Return of the Hummer? GM is Going All Electric

What's Your Stance on an All-Electric Hummer?

• I want one and think GM will make them

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • I want one and think GM won't make them

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • I wouldn't be interested and think GM will make them

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • I wouldn't be interested and think GM won't make them

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Hell no, Hummers shouldn't ever have to change for the tree hugging commies

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • Forget the Hummer brand at this point, lets just move to Jeeps

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

EndeavoredH3

A friend of mine who works for GM texted me tonight and told me this is for real. A GMC HUMMER. Electric with the possibility of gas/diesel in the future.

Hell yeah! I’m getting excited to what they did with the design. Hopefully they go all out this time and go for Jeep. With the brand now being under GMC it’ll be less likely for them to cut it like they did in 2010, hopefully.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
I'm sure an all-electric Hummer will be a huge hit with the expedition crowd... not. There's an excellent vid on Youtube on why electric for trucks (pickups, not just HD trucks) is a non-starter. Pretty much the same reasons as why you won't see jet airliners with wings full of lithium batteries. Electrics make sense for commutermobiles and perhaps even some in-town delivery trucks, but the high energy density of liquid fuels, rapid refueling, relative safety, technological maturity, extreme recyclability of combustion engine drivetrain components, low cost of manufacture of same, lack of necessity of scarce resources for manufacture of the same, on so on and on, means it will take a massive technological revolution to replace liquid fuel combustion engines with stored electricity. No chemical battery is going to cut it due to some basic limitations of electrochemical storage. Further, motors made with relatively scarce magnet materials isn't really sustainable either. Regular AC induction motors are sustainable (and extremely recycleable), but less efficient, so even more electrical storage (and cooling) would be needed. Even the lithium used for current batteries isn't exactly an abundant resource unless you have the energy to extract it from seawater. LOTS of energy.

I think the realities of current EV tech limitations is becoming more and more apparent to the general public. The sales of electric vehicles hasn't really grown like many thought it would, and will likely shrink as more people wake up and spit out the "anthropogenic global warming" Kool-Aid.

JPaul

MaxPF is exactly right. The kid at my work is convinced that electric vehicles are the dominating future and that there won't be any liquid fuel vehicles in 20 years. He also thinks that battery technology capable of providing super range is just around the corner. It's amazing how difficult it is to try to talk to him about and not even convince him, but simply argue the points to him that liquid fuel is not going away, especially when range matters. I can't be driving even 200 miles over rough roads with an electric vehicle and then either have to detour to find a charging station (even in 10 years you won't find them in remote areas) or have to lug around a trailer just for solar panels and site for a day to charge up.

On top of that, electric vehicles are extremely heavy. The Tesla Model X weighs several hundred to a thousand pounds more than the H3 Alpha does. Even the new Cybertruck is expected to weight at least 5,100 pounds and it looks like it will be just as small as the H3, if not smaller.

Of course this same kid thinks that in 20 years no one will even own their own cars anymore and it'll be massive autonomous public transportation utilizing all electric vehicles. I've gotten old enough now that whenever someone tries to tell me something is "the future" I can't help but roll my eyes and think of how naive they are. Seems to be happening a lot more lately.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I have spoken to a few of the "know it all" youngsters who seem to think we will all be flying around like the Jetsons in a few years.

EndeavoredH3

Yeah, I have spoken to a few of the "know it all" youngsters who seem to think we will all be flying around like the Jetsons in a few years.

If anything, my "youngster" view is that the ICE will be perfected within the next decade or two. The Mazda Gas compression motor seems promising if they can deal with the reliability issues.

I read an article awhile back on the prius, and if I recall correctly it takes over a decade of driving the thing to "break even" with the pollution it takes to make it. And that's taking into consideration the original battery pack lasts.

MaxPF

AGNTSA
MaxPF is exactly right. The kid at my work is convinced that electric vehicles are the dominating future and that there won't be any liquid fuel vehicles in 20 years. He also thinks that battery technology capable of providing super range is just around the corner. It's amazing how difficult it is to try to talk to him about and not even convince him, but simply argue the points to him that liquid fuel is not going away, especially when range matters. I can't be driving even 200 miles over rough roads with an electric vehicle and then either have to detour to find a charging station (even in 10 years you won't find them in remote areas) or have to lug around a trailer just for solar panels and site for a day to charge up.

On top of that, electric vehicles are extremely heavy. The Tesla Model X weighs several hundred to a thousand pounds more than the H3 Alpha does. Even the new Cybertruck is expected to weight at least 5,100 pounds and it looks like it will be just as small as the H3, if not smaller.

Of course this same kid thinks that in 20 years no one will even own their own cars anymore and it'll be massive autonomous public transportation utilizing all electric vehicles. I've gotten old enough now that whenever someone tries to tell me something is "the future" I can't help but roll my eyes and think of how naive they are. Seems to be happening a lot more lately.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

The public school system is nothing but a propaganda machine these days. Is it any wonder why young people not only believe these things, but are willing to give up their basic freedoms and give government more power?

I know that we will eventually not be using petroleum as an energy source, but there are many ways to manufacture hydrocarbons and virtually all of them are "carbon neutral". They just require a lot of energy. Windmills and solar panels ain't gonna cut it. Were talking large scale fission and, eventually, fusion thermal plants that can thermally depolymerize huge amounts of farmed algae and waste biomass into synthetic crude oil and syngas. From there we can refine or convert it into our fuel of choice. Conventional (but cleaner) gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. Or methane. Alcohol. Dimethyl ether. Whatever is determined to be cleanest and most efficient. Of course, with large scale nuclear energy (fission or fusion), relatively cheap hydrogen production would be possible which would allow the use of H2 in internal combustion engines or fuel cell vehicles. Aircraft will still be powered with jet fuel, and ships will still use diesel. Land vehicles will be electric, fuel cell, or internal combustion depending on it's use and purpose. There is no one-size-fits-all solution. There are many possibilities, but people are going to have to get used to the idea of a massive proliferation of nuclear power if we want to maintain our energy-intensive lifestyles, not to mention our population.

Last edited:

amrg

Well 15 years ago, electric cars were low range and slow! Tesla came and showed everyone you can get a 0-60 in 3 seconds and still do 200 mile range. Charging time for electric vehicles is dropping. The aim is to get them to charge in less than 10 minutes from 15-85%.
Supply leads to demand. This means more Money will be invested to get newer batteries that will get better range and allow faster charging!

MaxPF

AGNTSA
Well 15 years ago, electric cars were low range and slow! Tesla came and showed everyone you can get a 0-60 in 3 seconds and still do 200 mile range. Charging time for electric vehicles is dropping. The aim is to get them to charge in less than 10 minutes from 15-85%.
Supply leads to demand. This means more Money will be invested to get newer batteries that will get better range and allow faster charging!

It doesn't work like that. You can't always get what you want just because you want it bad enough and pour huge sums of money into it. Often times those pesky laws of physics have something to say about it. While I won't claim that there will never be an energy storage technology that can match a fuel tank for size, weight, cost, longevity, range, time to refill/recharge, recycleability, and safety, I seriously doubt such a storage device will be based on any electrochemical technology. The closest ideal electrochemical technology is an air-breathing fuel cell, but even it has many, many problems which is why those dipping their toes in the EV market have chosen lithium batteries. Even with the massive limitations of the batteries they are still better than current air-breahing fuel cell tech. They really shouldn't be, but they are.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Hummer will be a model, not a brand, under the GMC banner. GM has released no details to prospective dealers ( not all GMC dealers will sell the Hummer model ). They have not been told trim levels, size, price, weight, range etc other than it will be an EV. There are no plans for a gas or diesel version and it will require that they have different lifts than they currently use. They did not say if this was because of weight or size or both. The dealers on the call were not even told if it was a 2 door 4 door or available in either. They were told that if they wanted to sign up to sell them they needed to get it done and be ready to take deposits after the SuperBowl ad. ( I know they all asked what are we taking deposits for? We don't know price, size, configuration, delivery, colors, trim levels, options.... )
GM was adamant that the "Hummer" was a model, not a brand. They are not resurrecting the brand, only the name to slap on a new vehicle model.

USMC_315

Haven’t been on here in quite a long time, but I remembered this post after seeing the teaser trailer GMC just released. Can’t believe I inadvertently predicted the future...

PM if you want me to read your fortunes haha

Ghostbuster

This is so retarded. Why sell it under GMC? You already own the “Hummer” brand and you aren’t doing jack **** with it. Why devalue it by making it a “model”?

And why make it all electric? WTF? If people wanted that don’t you think JEEP would be doing it? You know since they sell approximately 900k Jeeps a ****ing year.

If they wanted to make money they should redesign the H3 and H3t and maybe think about making an H2 and H2 SUT. I would also bring the HX to market. Maybe even make an HX 4 door to replace the H3 all together.

The powertrains could look something like this:

H3 Hybrid BS to make liberals happy. 3.6L V6 with an electric motor added on.

H3 Alpha with the new 5.3l v8, possibly with an electric motor bolted on. Look at the new Ram truck with the hemi for example. It would also be nice to have the 6.2l v8 as an option.

H2 and SUT with the new 6.2l V8. Maybe bolt an electric motor onto it as well. And have the 6.6L Duramax as an option.

HX: have the same power train options as the H3.

Jeep doesn’t have any real competition and I think they could take a bite into that market.

They wouldn’t even have to redesign the exteriors that much. Just redesign the interiors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC_315

Not sure what type of vehicle they’re going for, but if GM has any sense they’ll do a convertible suv style i.e. Wrangler. That’s the only way to compete in the off-road market with something like this right now IMO

rascole

Bottom line is the Hummer EV will be a cash cow for GM or and financial flop. We are a small segment of GM's plans and they don't care about overlanding. I would guess that 90% of overlanders never cover more than 200 miles a trip anyways. I would bet that a hybrid with a 1 liter turbo diesel would be far more popular, virtually same range as a ICE.

amrg

1000 hp? Im guessing 1 motor on each corner, that will probably allow it to have great ground clearance at the center?
Probably be pricey tho

bebe

Yes, and GM turned them away due to their limited production numbers and the fact they wanted GM to make some expensive modifications to the engine compartment and GM said NOPE. Due to limited volume it would have cost way too much and that was right around the time GM was sitting on zero dollars and headed into the courts to declare bankruptcy.
They had on in Moab for a car show one year.
Some great idea, but again, wrong time, wrong vehicle.

2010. That was Raser Technologies, and the engineer for that vehicle is now the engineer for the new GMC Hummer model.

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/raser-technologies-hummer-h3-plugin-concept/

amrg

How times change! Reading that article they expected it to run 40 miles on electric with 0-60 in 9 seconds, today its close to 400 miles and 3 seconds!!!

MaxPF

AGNTSA
1000 hp? Im guessing 1 motor on each corner, that will probably allow it to have great ground clearance at the center?
Probably be pricey tho

Like all EV's, that rated HP will be for very brief "sprints". The motors and batteries would rapidly overheat if that output was sustained for any length of time.

And yes, it's going to be a wealthy person's toy. Figure the sticker price north of 100k, a useful battery life of perhaps 150k miles (at which point your 400-mile battery gives you 200 or less miles of range) and a battery replacement cost of 40-50% of the new vehicle cost. They would also be smart to allow it to charge off of Tesla's Supercharger stations, because a 400 mile-range battery is going to be a lot of KW/h, and even a 50A 240 outlet ain't gonna charge it overnight.

I seriously doubt you will see one on any serious trail. The scenic trails at Moab? Sure. But a new owner ain't gonna risk a dent or scratch on this pricey unit. However, if someone does and I'm around, I will be more than happy to get them un-stuck or tow 'em out to the road where they can be loaded up on a flatbed :giggle:

Last edited: