• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3T Ignition switch or electrical issue?

DFW Spartan

I bought an 2009 H3T Alpha Adventure last November from a dealer in Colorado. Until yesterday, I haven't had any issues. Last night after dinner, I retrieved my truck from valet and drove home. When I turned off the truck and got out, I noticed the door chime and the parking lights were still on. I checked to make sure the lights were turned off, and all the doors were closed. They were. When I tried restarting the truck, I noticed that when I turned the key to the B (ACC/ACCESSORY) ignition position, it behaved like it was in the C (ON/RUN) position. And when I turned it to the C (ON/RUN) ignition position, the truck started without me ever turning it to the D (START) position. I tried it several times. Same thing every time. When I take the key out of the ignition, it behaves like it's still in the B (ACC/ACCESSORY) position, and not in the A (LOCK/OFF) position. I ended up removing the battery cable so I wouldn't run down my battery. Hooked the battery back up this morning, and the issue is still there.

The owner before me had installed a remote start, which flashes letting me think it's activated, but haven't been able to start it with the remote since I bought it. There's definitely some aftermarket wiring going on, coming off the battery terminal and up under the driver's side dash/floorboard floorboard area. Most likely the remote start, and audio equipment that was yanked before he sold it.

Before I take it to the dealer, and rack up a large bill trying to trouble shoot the issue, I was hoping to get some inputs from the H4O community. Anyone else ever encounter this? Trying to figure out if I've got a bad ignition switch, or if I have an electrical issue attributed to the aftermarket wiring that was done. Maybe valet knocked out a wire or something? I don't see any free floating wires though.

Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Traxx

Unless I installed it myself, I would rip out any aftermarket alarm or remote start system. The kids in the shops that install those have no clue what they are doing and will tap wires into anything. After doing that then I would check the ignition switch, easy fix around 65.00.

JPaul

I second removing all of the extra wiring, including the remote start setup which sounds like it's still installed. You can always wire it back in later if you want. But odds are that will solve your issue if it's not the switch itself got bumped out of alingment, though it really shouldn't be able to.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I've never been a fan of aftermarket alarm and door unlock systems. They seem to have a lot of issues. The H3/T has a decent alarm and remote lock system, though it doesn't have remove notification. Personally, I don't think the aftermarket systems are worth it. The only other solution that comes remotely close is a bad door sensor, but the symptoms still point to the alarm system

DFW Spartan

Awesome.... well, it looks like I've found my next project. Just have to figure out when I've got time to fit that one in. I appreciate y'alls inputs. I'll let you know how it turns out.

DFW Spartan

So as I got into it, I determined removal of the remote start/alarm system to be a bigger job than I had anticipated, and a little beyond what I was comfortable doing myself. Add to it a hectic work/travel schedule this past month, and I decided to drop the T off at the dealership. They confirmed the aftermarket remote start/alarm system was causing my issue, so I had them remove the remote start/alarm system and return everything to stock. Wasn't the cheapest repair, but at least I know everything was done right. Now, back to saving for the mods that I had originally planned for.