• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SoCal Event - Bishop, CA - August 11-12, 2017

cbetts

NERD!!!
It has been four years since we have organized a trip to Bishop! We will be taking the same two trails (Silver/Wyman Canyons and Wheeler Ridge). We will be getting close to 12,000 ft elevation on both of these trails so some may experience altitude sickness. I recommend at least a good night's sleep in Bishop before attempting, especially if you are used to living at sea level. If you have heart issues, please ask your doctor about traveling to high elevations before attending. For those coming in Friday, we will be running Silver Canyon again at night. The stars are spectacular from this elevation. Bring a tripod with your camera and take some long exposures of the night sky! I will be prerunning the trails on Thursday (August 10th) to ensure we are all safe. I would like one or two people to assist with prerunning, preferably experienced drivers.

Friday - August 11th - Silver/Wyman Canyons

Description: Silver Canyon starts at the bottom of the White Mountain in the town of Laws just a few miles north of Bishop. We will then descend down Wyman Canyon. If everyone is up for it, we will return back the way we came in. This is an easy trail but the the heights can be intimidating. Those that are in a hurry can choose to leave for home from the end of Wyman Canyon. Low range will be required for the switchbacks.

When: August 11, 2017

Where: Laws, CA

Time (Day Run): 10:00 AM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready. Airing down is optional for this run but it can make the ride more pleasant.

Time
(Night Run): 8:00 PM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready.

Meeting Spot: In the clearing next to Silver Canyon Road just outside of Laws.
:link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Saturday- August 12th - Wheeler Ridge

Description: Wheeler Ridge is a fun trail that will require decent ground clearance on the technical areas. Lockers are not required but can make some obstacles easier. Depending on how quickly we get through this, we will be taking a detour to a beautiful isolated lake for some great scenic views. There is also a fun area littered with poser boulders for some great photo opportunities.

When: August 12th, 2017

Where: Swall Meadows, CA

Time (Day Run): 10:00 AM, we will meet up and head out once everyone is ready.

Time (Night Run): ??? Proposed. Depends on how the day goes.

Meeting Spot: In the clearing off Sky Meadow Road in Swall Meadows.
:link:

Communications: CB channel 37

Lodging

Most of us stay at La Quinta, just across from the city park. Bishop is a small town so everything is close. There are also great places to camp if you choose.

Confirmed Attendance:
cbetts - H3 (both days)
zach - H2 (? days)

B̶e̶n̶ ̶(̶C̶r̶a̶i̶g̶'̶s̶ ̶F̶r̶i̶e̶n̶d̶)̶ ̶-̶ ̶L̶X̶4̶5̶0̶
Stitch (Craig's Friend) - FJ Cruiser
Michael (Craig's Friend) - 2 Door JK

J̶R̶W̶i̶d̶ ̶-̶ ̶4̶-̶d̶o̶o̶r̶ ̶J̶K̶

Possible Attendance:
r̶a̶s̶c̶o̶l̶e̶ ̶-̶ ̶H̶3̶
AAMCO - H2

Prerun Attendance:
cbetts - H3
DesertDan - 4 Runner

Last edited:

rascole

Thanks Craig, put me down as a possible. Derek has a tournament but shouldn't be a problem to miss one, but trying to get the boss's approval now.

cbetts

NERD!!!
I live at 40 feet below sea level here in the desert and was just at 6000ft in Idyllwild earlier this week. Had a hard time catching my breath there, 12K would probably rupture my heart!

Enjoy!

The truck does all the work! It would be great to meet you in person . . . . maybe you will decide to come after all! I think Zach is in for this.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Want to get up there but the 10 hours from PHX is killing me - don't mind the drive, just hard to make it work with work schedule

cbetts

NERD!!!
bump.gif

Okay, August is getting close. Anybody else going?

Mr_Rich

Hey Craig! You definitely caught my attention on this one. Although I'm retired finances have finally become an issue in planning events like this. The last time I was in the area was a trip two years ago where we made the loop from 101N to 80E to Reno and 395S back to the Central Coast. I'm thinking about the intimidating part of this path. I'm looking at my topo maps and trying to figure out the areas. I have a friend who has a second home in Big Pine. Always worth a visit there. I find some of the roads I've been on intimidating and those are paved like Nine Mile Road from Ridgecrest. Years ago I took my Chev K1500 over the mountain from Lake Isabella to Kennedy Meadows and from what I remember that was actually a fairly easy drive even though it was all dirt. My 3T is equipped with 285's and RR's now, but no UCR's.
How does the road compare to something like Cleghorn Rd.? My GF has back issues so she couldn't handle getting jostled around too much. She's pretty comfortable in my 3T though. Definitely thinking about it...

cbetts

NERD!!!
Hey Craig! You definitely caught my attention on this one. Although I'm retired finances have finally become an issue in planning events like this. The last time I was in the area was a trip two years ago where we made the loop from 101N to 80E to Reno and 395S back to the Central Coast. I'm thinking about the intimidating part of this path. I'm looking at my topo maps and trying to figure out the areas. I have a friend who has a second home in Big Pine. Always worth a visit there. I find some of the roads I've been on intimidating and those are paved like Nine Mile Road from Ridgecrest. Years ago I took my Chev K1500 over the mountain from Lake Isabella to Kennedy Meadows and from what I remember that was actually a fairly easy drive even though it was all dirt. My 3T is equipped with 285's and RR's now, but no UCR's.
How does the road compare to something like Cleghorn Rd.? My GF has back issues so she couldn't handle getting jostled around too much. She's pretty comfortable in my 3T though. Definitely thinking about it...

Silver/Wyman Canyons are pretty tame. Just steep switchbacks with a great view. Wheeler Ridge is easy at the start but gets a little rough and technical for the four mile climb off of Sand Canyon. Your T would drag in a few places but still doable. I took my H3 up there with 285s and side steps back ten years ago.

Hard to compare with Cleghorn since there were some "interesting" tracks you could take up there.

cbetts

NERD!!!
A big thanks goes to DesertDan for assisting with preruns. Some of you might remember him from the old Hummer club when he had his H3. This is even a bigger help now that he lives up in the Bishop area!

He is a very experienced driver and has been all the way up to the Wheeler Ridge Mine. We will NOT be taking the road all the way up. Much too sketchy. Dan was kind enough to send me some pics from up there though:
43i3QA_LteUjsZ_PmNvsyPSJv8hwL88w1us7o4euyCFqXrecjGvr1tJEhNF8jpJQcSgcpR4GaYgJb4Br1G-FxgShehPBENiWfWLR3s74qQUvA4GGvo241ptKST7ukUeT7yqLMrRIreJbEdEwnVF2jhoVhs1F6teKtKdXo8uoVmDDV7ATVMTjPAA-BWRkkPCiFCMAt1hrRHng8tXZYL51aqkD77IsOwsdSh0C1oN6kQcvKuUedK4gZmmnDRADiEX_yzI-xwvq95APoWKMxWJeLvajAmK2HS1YvbOLi1xaCb5Ltm8c-f6AyVDlPqGDM-7oZhGj6WkU9ISThPiB1B8vPSnBYknSlA3t_KwmJJs2Dv-vX2p2S85BiUeTXFyPDDSwtRMJ9DXRe48UqlrIcVnR0lwfKWyUqzducfningBeey6tif1z6dovNlh3ONUNslQwDUhDynZa6wGeRvyPDknk0jtfuL-BjJYDw2EPnzOORTcNeRIbgT5mnwpFF1aWg7h6puNhSrslKvEUyHifi1ThJgLkENqBnTwAQPUYimQPGo5RZmaoHDUHmuWjx0lgcE3VwYktLJD2yXqFp3lvNOd3M5eyebH8wOJ3Gek8qKtc106zDljhiYPZ9HN_LlGUPwpSef_mhNWLUqEIlcTUxCxreEIhlFRLo25bup3enoDkkYTx7q8=w604-h404-no

7mGJOc1hOlCJMTH4GNQNAuZkf67vXi8iyhH8e4AXQJnbeVLTM5S49G6zX-xN770NQkKQX8Cn9cFdXvrVeeqMPvGAbu27dSPdFkLKGTYuF4mBHGzV7Cv5NGPfJ0gpj6bBx7RXstyAeuMbWXL2jLz7_yOQxa6hETVK6URYl7VUCnItPOVdEWJgZJ571VIKGatwM3918ScC-quBVPej_wdcQHf8kq4OF40lSmm3xnjTHwNu5_H22UQuqB23bQlCoShGBBqoV9neJo4vYb5QxU-AUKc4Awc-Iec_RmIkmk564t9dQ3_P0eym2PYxZWKawi4nWd4-Vh6ZblE5g5IDLuGicpmEpdF6OMFdZRdSGK7QXUzgp0Yuo80EM8SJkSgBV3RUS18R3XdKMOmtkn228wxA--ar8uG6GKI_XqkHWeV-ibBKY8BJR_zz2bBSNLWHFUkuzo1g-y2c6uhq4YUpeGLdjiyia8ScSiaxEiCPTg1clqG_D1Qd7fANZy-_LmqtMLRcQLS-JRvzlaBIOB__bBvoT9AQcatlOM_CwMFQqPaCOtUmlkftxWAguMVDarGpT4G8cvS6SaDudcnQ1zs_iAq-Lp9V8DUu2hQ6YfqeKnBD_GK_co46Z3XtRP9CtiOPDr5EpHNyWQFXteO9C9tJ1ftQoakpdQK6CPeOVEY_5cir_2laOPs=w604-h453-no

Yes, that is Paradise in the window. He must have been at least 30 degrees off-camber to get that shot. No thank you!

Panzer07

I wish I could commit to go...bit work has me in a tight wrip...not even the weekends are a sure thing...anyways have fun...ill keep my hopes open and see if I can join at last min.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rascole

Sorry I can't make this one Craig. Kids tournaments take so much of my weekends it's crazy. 26 tournaments on the calendar this year plus other events. In 2 years when he joins the Marines my weekends will open up big time.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Sorry I can't make this one Craig. Kids tournaments take so much of my weekends it's crazy. 26 tournaments on the calendar this year plus other events. In 2 years when he joins the Marines my weekends will open up big time.

The next run may be in two years. It has been four since we were last up in Bishop for wheeling!

Zach

Mall Crawler
Hola! Just crawled out from under the rock I've been hiding under. Still trying to make this. Truck is good, I think, new engine again. Some other things I have to clear out of the way life wise. Talked with Ant, might be rolling together in my truck if we make it.

cbetts

NERD!!!
Looks like we may have a good turnout, but it looks like Zach and I will be the only Hummers.

I have a couple friends from work along with a neighbor. Looks like we may also pick up a few of the Carrillo Bros and company as well.

It has been raining this weekend up there but should all be cleared out tomorrow. I still need to reach out to JRWid to see if he is attending.