• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Engel MR040 Un-boxing

RamRod

Well since I messed up my ankle on a trip last weekend I now have a bunch spare time while I keep the leg elevated, so I have been taking the video clips I have been recording the last little while and put them together and post them onto YouTube.

Here is the latest one:

[video=youtube_share;WT1AmAml8co]https://youtu.be/WT1AmAml8co[/video]

This is basically just an un-boxing, but I do plane to do a further review once I have had a chance to use the fridge freezer some more, but so far we really like it and am glad we finally pulled the trigger!!

Let me know if there is anything that you want me to cover in the review video and I will make sure to include those details

Last edited:

RamRod

I've always wanted to pull the trigger on one of these

I know its a lot of cheddar for what could be done via a cooler and ice, but it is so nice to be able to set the temp and not worry about cooler soup making everything soggy in a few hours

JPaul

I picked up a used ARB (Engel) MT45F (It's at least 8 years old I think) just last Friday and it still runs great, I used it over the weekend for my daughter's birthday party to keep the ice cream frozen. I also measured the initial amp draw for first startup and it only spiked to maybe 5 amps for a second and then quickly dropped back down to 2.25 amps and was still dropping. I'm going to get it down to freezing again and then see what the amp draw is while it's running that cold to see if it's any higher. Engel has a performance chart for the MT45 that shows it drawing about 2.3 amps while set to the lowest setting, so it'll be interesting to see how my ~8 year old fridge does compared to that.

RamRod

I picked up a used ARB (Engel) MT45F (It's at least 8 years old I think) just last Friday and it still runs great, I used it over the weekend for my daughter's birthday party to keep the ice cream frozen. I also measured the initial amp draw for first startup and it only spiked to maybe 5 amps for a second and then quickly dropped back down to 2.25 amps and was still dropping. I'm going to get it down to freezing again and then see what the amp draw is while it's running that cold to see if it's any higher. Engel has a performance chart for the MT45 that shows it drawing about 2.3 amps while set to the lowest setting, so it'll be interesting to see how my ~8 year old fridge does compared to that.

That would be interesting to see.

There is an Ozzie that is well known over there that still has/uses his Engel from over 30 years ago (at the time of the video) and he had made 30 trips around their country with it! Very impressive units

JPaul

Hooked the fridge up to 120v tonight to get it cooled down, then switched over to 12v to see how many amps it draws while trying to keep it below zero. Runs a bit high compared to what it should be new, 2.80 amps. Not terrible though considering it's at least 8 years old or so (pretty sure it was 2008, maybe 2009 ARB switched to the Waeco unit). New they're supposed to only pull about 2.35 amps when keeping it at the lowest temperature. So mine is using about 20% more amps.