• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

SAS Build section

GreatDaneHummer

I guess we can just use this area for now? What is the correct measurement on the passenger side drop from end of tube on the passenger side to the center of the Yoke to line up for the front drive shaft? Basically trying to get the correct passenger side drop offset.

*The center section measures 20.50" so from what I can measure by eye under the H3 if I have:

31.50" Drivers side
13" Passenger side
20.50" center section

This will give me a measurement of 23.25" from the passenger side tube end to the center where the drive shaft should mate. 65" axle plus 2.125" wheel hubs on each side plus 4.00" inner C with knuckle = 77.25" wheel mount to wheel mount.

Last edited:

4speedfunk

I can tell you from doing numerous SAS's...you need to mock it up under the actual truck. Cut all the stock stuff off the frame. Position the wheels & tires where you want them to sit. Then position the center section where you want it. At that point, you'll be able to fill in the blanks between the pumpkin and the wheels. It's the only way to get it perfect.

77" wide is huge. For comparison GM D44s are 67" wide with 6-lug hubs, and 69" wide with 8-lug hubs. With a standard 0-offset wheel they fit the H3 perfectly.

When I build housings from scratch, I trim the tubes so I can use pre-manufactured shafts. Dana inner shafts come in many lengths, and in small increments...so you can pretty much build a housing to any width without being forced to run custom ($$$) shafts.

Last edited:

GreatDaneHummer

There is a good "wayalife" video about going to 72.5" wide axles and using 5.5" backspacing to reduce the scrub radius and in return gain a sharper turning radius. I would like to take advantage of this concept and match the 72.5" wheel mount to wheel mount size with deep backspacing on the wheels.

GreatDaneHummer

mini-McLean Axles 041.jpg

After being so impressed with the Dana 44 inner C's that Crane made I went with the Dana 60 inner C's also. I just figure the challenge of trying to get ABS / Traction Control to work with the wheel hub bearing Spidertrax design is more than I want to take on. These Dana 60 inner C's will get welded onto the Ford 9 axle housing from Spidertrax that my dad bought me.

*Build something like above but passenger side drop instead*

Last edited:

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Yes, please use a thread like this and bookmark them if you need to. While SAS is a great subject, it's still a bit limited for the very few threads that we actually have on the subject. I'd love to have this forum broken down into more areas like powertrain, suspension, etc. but really we'd need to see a lot more activity here to make it fruitful. Instead, users are posting on FB where the info essentially disappears into a one and done hole.