• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 Stall speed in trans

4speedfunk

Transfer case bolting up...
Just need to make sure to get a 4WD tranny, that will take the H3 t-case adapter. Try looking around for a 2000-2006 5-speed from a 2500 Silverado 6.0L. Get the whole rig...bell, flywheel, gear-box, shifter, etc. I hear these are quite desirable and probably not cheap. (but probably cheaper than fartin around with an AT).

front and rear drive shaft lengths...
Weld, make, whatever.

trans mounts...
Weld, make, whatever.

and of course if the space exists for it in the trans tunnel....
Hammer, cut, weld, or all of the above.

After that you will need the shifter to come up in the right place (or close to it)...
Don't care. Make it work. (I think the GM tranny mentioned above is probably a closer match than a Dodge or Ford NV).

Tuning is actually the easiest part of it!
So true! There is no tuning! Just jump in and drive it. All of this stuff mentioned above is tangible. They're all real things that you can touch with your hands...cut, grind, weld, etc. As long as you got eyes, fab skills, and will power...you can do it. No custom software. No adapter blah blah. No custom input shafts. No half-bred mix-mash of trannies. No b.s. Just a straight up, old-fashioned, stick...so much more "swap friendly" than a late-model AT.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
lol it always sounds easy on the internet! If I do go manual I know it would be a project but I would pull through.

Making a 1 ton rear end work with sensors:done

Adapting 8 lug brakes to CJs kit:done

Engine swap: done

Sas: done

So many things on that list sounded easy then you get to it...then you work on each issue one at a time and you come out on top!

It just pisses me off because the trans has always been one of those perfect working pieces for me, it's the most common trans in the world. LS and 4l60e are probably one of the more common swaps around because they are reliable! Unless some yahoo screws up [emoji85]

Kyle

Transfer case bolting up...
Just need to make sure to get a 4WD tranny, that will take the H3 t-case adapter. Try looking around for a 2000-2006 5-speed from a 2500 Silverado 6.0L. Get the whole rig...bell, flywheel, gear-box, shifter, etc. I hear these are quite desirable and probably not cheap. (but probably cheaper than fartin around with an AT).

front and rear drive shaft lengths...
Weld, make, whatever.

trans mounts...
Weld, make, whatever.

and of course if the space exists for it in the trans tunnel....
Hammer, cut, weld, or all of the above.

After that you will need the shifter to come up in the right place (or close to it)...
Don't care. Make it work. (I think the GM tranny mentioned above is probably a closer match than a Dodge or Ford NV).

Tuning is actually the easiest part of it!
So true! There is no tuning! Just jump in and drive it. All of this stuff mentioned above is tangible. They're all real things that you can touch with your hands...cut, grind, weld, etc. As long as you got eyes, fab skills, and will power...you can do it. No custom software. No adapter blah blah. No custom input shafts. No half-bred mix-mash of trannies. No b.s. Just a straight up, old-fashioned, stick...so much more "swap friendly" than a late-model AT.
Since the h3 came with a manual to begin with i assume everything would pretty much bolt up or have bolt holes already existing etc! it would be pretty badass to see a swap done

atvspeed4

It drives me crazy when someone on the interwebs states that a manual swap in an H3 is totally doable because some people may go read that, buy the parts and think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, a factory aisin 5 speed is totally doable. a NV4500 is NOT totally doable, nor is 99% of manual transmissions out there due to the shifter tower coming up right in the middle of the firewall behind the dash.

How do I know?? My last H3 was a 2006 adventure factory 5speed manual and after ruining the stock transmission by using it above and beyond its intended purpose I got a NV4500 out of a silverado and tried to go that route. I believe there are several threads on here that discuss the idea of a manual swap.

I think that the TR6060 4x4 would be the only other manual transmission that would work: http://www.rsgear.com/products/off-road-truck-transmissions

Kyle

lol it always sounds easy on the internet! If I do go manual I know it would be a project but I would pull through.

Making a 1 ton rear end work with sensors:done

Adapting 8 lug brakes to CJs kit:done

Engine swap: done

Sas: done

So many things on that list sounded easy then you get to it...then you work on each issue one at a time and you come out on top!

It just pisses me off because the trans has always been one of those perfect working pieces for me, it's the most common trans in the world. LS and 4l60e are probably one of the more common swaps around because they are reliable! Unless some yahoo screws up [emoji85]
your original trans took a ****ing beatingggggg, I remember you would always run super high temps and still just abuse the **** out of it.

4speedfunk

Atv...that Tremec is the way to go. I run a TKO-600 in my 69 Impala, and its been a great gearbox.

I've heard some ridiculous AT numbers thrown around on here (like $6k...wtf?). Anyway, my Tremec was $2700 a few years ago. Given all the complexity and hassle of building an AT...the Tremec is not that far off the budget. Not to mention everybody that builds an AT for an H3, seems to do it 3 or 4 times before they get it right! Pulling trannies is like the worst job ever, and I am down with anything that would limit me to doing it once and never touching it again.

amrg

Whats surprising is that this 4l60 was behind the 6.0 L in the H2. Now I know it was a 4L70 but the only difference between it and the 4l60 is the 5 pinion planeteries.

Last edited:

Kyle

not to thread jack chris. but does anyone have an recommendations on torque converters? I read about a company called Dacco but read mixed things. was leaning more towards B&M or Hughes.

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
It drives me crazy when someone on the interwebs states that a manual swap in an H3 is totally doable because some people may go read that, buy the parts and think there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, a factory aisin 5 speed is totally doable. a NV4500 is NOT totally doable, nor is 99% of manual transmissions out there due to the shifter tower coming up right in the middle of the firewall behind the dash.

How do I know?? My last H3 was a 2006 adventure factory 5speed manual and after ruining the stock transmission by using it above and beyond its intended purpose I got a NV4500 out of a silverado and tried to go that route. I believe there are several threads on here that discuss the idea of a manual swap.

I think that the TR6060 4x4 would be the only other manual transmission that would work: http://www.rsgear.com/products/off-road-truck-transmissions

I get where your coming from, people always say on social media just do a SAS! Just do this! Just do that!

It's not that easy, I remember when I was told the 5.3 won't fit in my 06 because of firewall modifications. It was all hearsay. Until you really dive in you never know.

I have no reason to hate on the 4l60e. I have reasons to hate on the rebuilder of it. Got off the phone with him and he blamed every issue on everything else. My transfer case is messed up and so is my engine! LOL also my trans cooler! What's funny is all those things worked PERFECTLY before my trans went out and now according to him they are all suddenly aren't working properly...guys a jackass. I have a 1 year warranty on it. I really should dump the fluid and drive it till it burns up and bring it back and say fix it under warranty. This is just another example of why I trust very few people. On that note, I got ANOTHER recall warranty notice. It's not going to the dealership, why?! I don't trust them!

atvspeed4

Atv...that Tremec is the way to go. I run a TKO-600 in my 69 Impala, and its been a great gearbox.

I've heard some ridiculous AT numbers thrown around on here (like $6k...wtf?). Anyway, my Tremec was $2700 a few years ago. Given all the complexity and hassle of building an AT...the Tremec is not that far off the budget. Not to mention everybody that builds an AT for an H3, seems to do it 3 or 4 times before they get it right! Pulling trannies is like the worst job ever, and I am down with anything that would limit me to doing it once and never touching it again.

Do you know what the first gear ratio is on your TKO-600? Do they offer different ratios? Thats great to hear its reliable and priced pretty fair!

4speedfunk

Yes...I had gear options. I already had 4.11s in the rear so I chose the higher first gear (2.85 I think). I also had a choice on the fifth gear, and I chose the larger overdrive (.64 I think). This combo is spot on and the car cruises at 60mph at 2000rpms which is almost unheard of in a muscle car. For comparison...it was 3200rpm with the Super-T10 four speed. The steps between gears are perfect, and it really makes driving it more fun...
Impala-009.jpg
At the time I bought the Tremec...$2700 was ludicrous compared to Muncies for under $500. But, I could not keep Muncies and ST-10s together. It was a huge amount of money but, it was worth every penny. Nowadays, when you compare this to what a built 460 costs...it really doesn't seem that bad. I used a centerforce clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, Hays SFI flywheel, and stock clutch pedal set-up...been install for ten years, and its never needed anything.

amrg

Well at least he didnt blame it on blinker fluid!!!
Just a question, is the oil level ok and are you using the proper trans oil?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
No rebuilder won't take responsibility I have a few ideas on what I can mess with will keep you posted

Woodtick

Just a FYI. Put your trans temp sensor in cup of ice water. It should OHM out at 32 deg F. If you can run the truck with the scan gage sensor in the cup of ice water, your scan gage should read 32 deg. This will rule out a sensor being off. Good luck.:cheers: