• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Hummer h2 build ideas

MilamJR

I mocked up a bracket to mount the tank.
fcb40c50e54455963fc8f9c4d489e8ef.jpg

It uses the mounting points for a inside spare tire bracket.

The guy who built my sliders is supposed to build this for me and is supposed to get enough steel cut to do several of them if anyone else wants one but we are 2 months in now and still nothing.
2eff1c720a67fd816064e5a1d2062765.jpg

He is planning to cut a hole in the bottom so you can use the storage tub over the wheel well. Also supposed to drill holes so that you could fill the area below the tank and then use small bungee cords to retain the contents. If anyone wants one let me know maybe it will motivate him to get in gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MilamJR

Black sheep week prep continues.
1770bd1c62e4b2380f027f04a4231698.jpg

New set of u-joints.
c509b06334effe6b16cf8b8000dbb8d2.jpg

The boot on the front drive shaft was torn so they are going to have to track one down.
1662933798831c8bd6a8b2c53a0a50e1.jpg

Last one.
4e5aef65e6b063587a2624763e9345d1.jpg

Once they are done with it then I have to install the new skid plates.
4d958a7c7d08c7f84b1308bccefa2d35.jpg
2d5132e1e66fb6c217e432ffa721e7c7.jpg

These things are heavy. Glad I have a motorcycle jack that I can use to get them into place.

3 months ago I had the original u-joints with 170,000 miles on them replaced in anticipation of going to Moab. Today going 70 mph on the interstate I started to have a severe vibration like rumble strips so I pulled off of the highway. Walked around to see if I could find anything like loose lug nuts and found nothing. Got back inside and put the transmission in gear and all hell broke loose. At first I thought the transmission had blown apart but then figured out that the u-joint on the front drive shaft had failed in less than 800 miles.

MilamJR

The shop kept telling me that they would send me some pictures but never did so I ran over there today to take a look. The ears on the front diff yoke that have caps on the end that bolt down over the u-joint are still there to my surprise based on what he had told me. He says that there are supposed to be two additional smaller ears 90 degrees from the previously mentioned ears that help hold the other 2 u-joint cap ends on and that they are no longer there. He says that the part has been discontinued but he has tracked one down and it is supposed to be delivered today. Does this sound legit or are they just trying to cover for a u-joint failure after only 3 months?

Iwillnc

IMG_3586.jpgIMG_3587.jpg

I attached pictures of my u-joints, they’re original however my front diff has been removed from my truck twice since new so it may not be set up as original

MilamJR

View attachment 26434View attachment 26435

I attached pictures of my u-joints, they’re original however my front diff has been removed from my truck twice since new so it may not be set up as original

Thanks. From these pictures I don’t see what he is talking about. I told him to send me a picture of the new one when it arrives today.

Iwillnc

Yea I’m like you, I’m not sure what he’s talking about, it looks very straight forward to me?

MilamJR

The shop called today to tell me that they replaced the front yoke, u-joint and oil filter since the driveshaft dented it. They said that they would cover everything if I paid the towing bill. Said that the front diff bushing has broken down because it has got oil on it from a leak and they think it might have caused the problem so they will not cover it again. Guess I should probably order an Outfitter Design front differential bushing kit.

Iwillnc

The shop called today to tell me that they replaced the front yoke, u-joint and oil filter since the driveshaft dented it. They said that they would cover everything if I paid the towing bill. Said that the front diff bushing has broken down because it has got oil on it from a leak and they think it might have caused the problem so they will not cover it again. Guess I should probably order an Outfitter Design front differential bushing kit.

Need to be sure that whoever installs it, including yourself, has high attention to details, there is a possibility of breaking the differential when removing the old upper driver side bushing.

You should have been able to hear the differential hopping around the carrier over a couple year span me thinks. My differential would clunk in place over railroad tracks, bad pot holes, and of course anytime drive/reverse change was made.

YEARS ago the company that made GM tools sold a speciality tool for removing the diff bushings, needless to say they haven’t made it in close to a decade, and finding a dealer that has the special made tool 11 years after the last truck left the line isn’t likely. So regular old fashion bushing removal tools with attention to detail is big.

This isn’t to dissuade you to be clear, you should see a huge NVH improvement with the outfitter design.

MilamJR

Need to be sure that whoever installs it, including yourself, has high attention to details, there is a possibility of breaking the differential when removing the old upper driver side bushing.

You should have been able to hear the differential hopping around the carrier over a couple year span me thinks. My differential would clunk in place over railroad tracks, bad pot holes, and of course anytime drive/reverse change was made.

YEARS ago the company that made GM tools sold a speciality tool for removing the diff bushings, needless to say they haven’t made it in close to a decade, and finding a dealer that has the special made tool 11 years after the last truck left the line isn’t likely. So regular old fashion bushing removal tools with attention to detail is big.

This isn’t to dissuade you to be clear, you should see a huge NVH improvement with the outfitter design.

Thanks for the information.

Bmonts h3

Added a rear tire carrier today picked it up for 300 bucks I'll post pics with new tire and rim as soon as I get one

Attachments

• IMG_20230224_165514857_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230224_165514857_HDR.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 72

04Hummer

Full throttle 6.5 inch lift with supreme torsion keys and rear spacer, cognito upper control arms, complete kryptonite front end components, 17 inch pro comp rims 37 delium terra raider a/t now not shown in pic, extended front cv axles, 4.56 gears, spohn rear panhard bar, spohn upper and low rear adjustable control arms. And a ton more mods, wheels like a beast and has great flex front and rear

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231226_082530_OneDrive.jpg
    Screenshot_20231226_082530_OneDrive.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 14
Last edited: