• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H3 H3 complete factory upgraded using low mileage 2012 colorado truck in progress

boatyardSD

Probationary Member
Does anyone have experience rebuilding a H3 using a colorado 08-12, envoy, canyon 08-12, isuzu 3700 08-10
I have listed below the pulled parts off a chevy
colorado that was rolled while in tow with 9400 mile on it. Does anyone have any knowledge to add or wish to find out as we go about the 300 hour project in our boat shop to use as many of these things as we can to renew a hummer that blew going up steep mountain pulling 4500 at 188K.

Initial Report from [COLOR=#009900 !important]boat yard[/COLOR] san diego's engineering dept as to what parts may or may not be usable on H3: reference colorado, envy, canyon, isuzu 3700
Hummer H3 2007 parts that could be equal or offer value to a hummer H3 owner or are a direct swap with
chevy colorado parts: 2008-2012

removed parts list
main
engine
tranny
fuel and hydraulic lines
[COLOR=#009900 !important]wiring harness[/COLOR]
front differential and truck switch to disable AWD
front brakes, ruled out
front axle strong maybe
front shaft yes
[COLOR=#009900 !important]exhaust[/COLOR], both old a new were cracked behind heat guard, if you smell exhaust in your engine compartment take it off and grind it out then weld.
front seats
entire dashboard
gauge cluster
steering wheel and key
stereo, speakers
overhead cabin lights
radiators and evaporator
alternators
HVAC
ECM Computer
BCM Computer
Tranny computer
Heating fan
fuel lines
Fuel pump
Gas tank
steering rack and pinion
front and rear differential gears
catalytic converter
Air and battery box
Spare 16" tire using different rims
Jack and roadside parts
All air bag components/computer

4speedfunk

So...in English...You have an H3 with a blown motor, and you want to upgrade it with the parts from a wrecked Colorado?

Other than the Colorado parts might be lower mileage, I don't see the point of getting tricky making a half-breed "Hummerado". There's simply not enough of a difference (or benefit) to mess with it. If you are looking to upgrade the stock Hummer with identical lower-mileage parts from the Colorado, then it might be worth your time. You failed to mention what motors or what transmissions each vehicle has, so I'll assume they are both 5-cyl. (3.5L - 3.7L). If the Colorado is a 5-cyl. you can swap it directly into the H3. If the tranny is a 4-speed AT...it can be swapped as well but, you might need to rob some of the parts off the stock Hummer tranny as they are special to clear the front driveline. I'm not sure if the Colorado/Canyon uses these same weird valve body & pan parts. So at the very least...you could do a stock replacement of the motor & trans. Also not sure about the PCM/TCM/BCM...I think you would be better off keeping the Hummer electronics unless you are doing some sort of V8 swap or something. Also the V8's have different trannies and don't interchange. The t-case and front axles are different, and so is the gearing. The 2012 Colorado has a slightly improved rear axle but, its very possible its bent from the rollover, and it definitely won't have the matching gears to run in the H3.

As for the other parts on the list...I don't see them being of much use, other than just to say "you did it". After all...I have seen people on this forum raving about things like a Colorado gauge cluster, or other seemingly useless mods that take an extraordinary amount of time (sorry I don't get it). 300 hours is a lot of time. Frankly...for that kind of effort, I would part out the rolled Colorado (to Colorado guys) and go find something else to cut apart. There are lots of other (and better) choices of vehicles to mate your H3 with.

GreatDaneHummer

I can't help it, "Hummerado" floored me; almost pissed myself haha. If it was the diesel engine being swapped then this could be cool.