• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

H4O - the hack and the update

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Hello,

The forum was hacked by some f*ckers that wanted to use us as a spambot. We had a couple of security holes (my fault) that they exploited. There's no reason to believe any personal data was taken, especially since y'all barely provide any. Posts between 10/13 and yesterday were lost as my most recent backup was that date. I try and do 7 day backups but frankly, I just haven't had much time lately. I appreciate your patience and understanding.

We're about 95% up and running right now. Smileys have to be fixed as well as avatars and probably a few other things. I won't be bringing back the arcade as it never worked properly after our software upgrade and those developers don't support it anymore.

I'm also exploring a move to Xenforo forum software from vBulletin. Most developers have moved away from vBulletin as their newer versions (vBulletin 5) kinda sucks. We're on vBulletin 4, with all of the latest patches. It's undecided as to whether we make that move, but it will cause changes to the forum and likely downtime for a day or so to prevent further loss of posts.

It's a lot quieter in here than previously and that's a bummer. Many users have moved to posting on Facebook vs. here. I considered shutting down this forum after the hack because forums are less relevant than they were just a few years ago. However, there's a treasure trove of information on H4O. This isn't about money. Heck, the forum has not accepted sponsor money in two years or more, and donations were turned off a long time ago as well. It's a minor investment to get this back up and running and I can't let this knowledge disappear.

I hope you each will continue to read and participate in the forum whether ten times each day or once a year. I'm glad each of you has taken the time to participate and contribute, whether it's the experience of grizzled veterans or the everpresent newbie questions. It's all good.

Thank you,
Alex

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I absolutely refuse to spend much time on Facebook and with the election over it may be 6 months or more before I check in on Facebook. Glad the forum is back up and running.

Hunner

Thanks for all you do.

Facebook for me is just too spread out and not indexed to access all that data and info we have accumulated.

If it is about money say so. You should not have to finance the forum.

I tried at the last huge change to back up all the information I have gathered over time and it became overwhelming to catalog.

Hunner

Now my internet speed upload dropped to .33?
I just had all that fixed. Comcrap needs some updating.

As a result I hit the button twice and it posted twice after a long pause.

It's the moon!

Last edited:

JPaul

I feel like there is just as much activity on this forum as any other Hummer specific forum, if not more. And most of what is on the other forums are just repeat posts of what is posted here, so I rarely even bother checking the other forums.

JPaul

What is the name of the facebook group? I did a search and there are several Hummer related groups, but I'm not sure which on y'all are talking about.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I feel like there is just as much activity on this forum as any other Hummer specific forum, if not more. And most of what is on the other forums are just repeat posts of what is posted here, so I rarely even bother checking the other forums.

Yep. That seems to be the case on all of them. H4O seems to be the most active of the Hummer forums.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
If it is about money say so. You should not have to finance the forum.
Definitely not about the money. Heck, taking in money makes things more complicated. We get a few dollars from Skimlinks every month and that offsets most or all costs. The Xenforo transition could be a few dollars but it will be worth it if we go that route. Like any good hobby - and that's what this is for me - it takes a few dollars to have some fun. I'm good with that.

SGT-Wright

Never let H4O go away! If for some reason it has to go, can you let us all know in advance. Is there a way to archive the different categories into zip files for downloading?

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Thanks Alex for all your hard work and to all that have contributed knowledge over the years. If it wasn't for forums I wouldn't know what I know now.

woodwardsh3

I would gladly donate some $$ to help support this GREAT FORUM. As Im sure many others would help. There is so much priceless information on this site, That has saved me lots of money on repairs that i could do myself with all the help and info here.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The moderators have all contributed in the past but Alex has had this place running so smoothly that no one has had to contribute to keep it going. Kudos to Alex. He will never let it shut down because too many of us know where he lives. :)

Chris Laun

After all the money saved by finding the expert knowledge here, I along with others here would probably be more than happy to donate to help with any upgrades of the site!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Never let H4O go away! If for some reason it has to go, can you let us all know in advance. Is there a way to archive the different categories into zip files for downloading?
We are not going anywhere. H4O is and always will be the best and most informative HUMMER forum on the web until one of us is the last one standing and is around to turn off the lights. We will never settle for less, as other Hummer forums have. As long as the 4 of the 5 original moderators who started this forum are around, our NFL threads will never outnumber the Hummer threads, after all, this is a Hummer forum and not an NFL update forum. If you want NFL updates, subscribe to NFL.com.

Alrock, thanks for your leadership, friendship and dedication to H4O!

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Well, truth be told, there was/is really only 1 of us and his name was/is "Bigunit" or, the "Wolf Oxtoa“! JK of course!

JPaul

We are not going anywhere. H4O is and always will be the best and most informative HUMMER forum on the web until one of us is the last one standing and is around to turn off the lights. We will never settle for less, as other Hummer forums have. As long as the 4 of the 5 original moderators who started this forum are around, our NFL threads will never outnumber the Hummer threads, after all, this is a Hummer forum and not an NFL update forum. If you want NFL updates, subscribe to NFL.com.

Alrock, thanks for your leadership, friendship and dedication to H4O!
This ^^^^. It wasn't until today as I was comparing post traffic with the other Hummer forums that I finally figured out what forum it was I had in Tapatalk that kept sending me stupid sports posts notifications one or two times a day. I don't follow sports at all and this is really irritating. I really don't give a rat's behind if some athlete broke his foot or ate fruit loops for breakfast or whatever, and I especially don't want to receive a push notification about it.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk