• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Louisiana Floods 2016

Big2dabank

My home town, Gonzales, in Ascension Parish Louisiana was and is still being decimated by the recent flooding events, tens of thousands displaced, homes lost. My wife and I watched from out of state as countless text after text and message after message came pouring in, as we sat helpless and watched one friend after another loosing their homes. Flood waters rising 10, 15 feet in a matter of days, entire generations of families loosing everything, truly horrifying events. The media, for the most part, has overlooked this until recently with out too much attention, choosing to focus on politics, race riots, this life matters, and that life matters, but my people, the people of South Louisiana, the cajuns, the coonass', and just plain ole good people, have pulled together to help themselves and their neighbors, regardless of race, religion, political views, or status in society. So many have lost everything and yet have continued to rally together to support each other, saving numerous lives. I am so proud off to my friends, family and the people down in South Louisiana during this unprecedented flooding event, although they were not prepared for these events, they have shown the kind of resilience as a community that should give us all hope and prove once again that America is and always will be great. I am so proud of my community for not giving up and for having the courage, the heart, and balls to stand up for themselves and each other. God Bless Them and God Bless America.

Many of these families do not have flood insurance because many were not in flood zones, and even the ones that have flood insurance, as you might suspect, there will be little monetary support from FEMA and the federal government to help them recover so much that has been lost. They will need just about everything you can imagine to help them rebuild in the coming weeks. Here are some ways in which you can help the victims directly.

UNITED WAY OF SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA:
http://www.unitedwaysela.org/flood

CONVOY OF HOPE:
https://www.convoyofhope.org

SECOND HARVEST FOOD BANK:
https://give.no-hunger.org/checkout/donation?eid=91189

SALVATION ARMY:
Text STORM to 51555 to receive a donation link for easy mobile giving or visit - https://give.salvationarmyusa.org/site/Donation2…

RED CROSS:
Text LAFLOODS to 90999 to donate $10 to help Louisiana Flood Victims.

If you need or want more information, let me know. I will be talking with family members throughout the next couple of days to find out what things they need the most.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member
Thank you for the post. Once you find out, post up items that we can send your/their way. In the meantime, My wife and I will be sending a donation through Salvation Army.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Love to hear that our Cajun friends are pulling together and doing what needs to be done. Unlike Katrina where so many seemed helpless my Cajun friends outside of New Orleans seem to be about the most innovative, resourceful people you will ever meet. I will be making a donation also even though I am going to research and see which organization is giving most directly to the impacted areas. Big if you already are on this let me know the best organization to provide the donation to.

Big2dabank

Thanks guys. This is so much worse than Katrina on many levels. The biggest difference is our Cajun brothers are kicking ass and getting it done helping people.

I'm working on somethings with contacts back home at the sherrifs office to make sure donations and things get to where they are needed most. I'll post a new update tomorrow once I have a better handle on where to send things.

Bigunit

Hammer Down!
Staff member

Big2dabank

Got some good news from my wife's brother and wife sister today, both of their houses were spared, but neighbors were not so lucky. Maybe having a civil engineer as a brother in law was the common denominator that saved them, since I help them each with their house planning, but I am sure it was mostly luck.

This big house in the center of the image is my wife brother's home, they just finished the house and moved in a few months ago.
attachment.php

The only dry house in this image is my wife sisters'.
attachment.php

I'll stick to the good news for now and don't want to share some of the really bad images from family and friends yet, I don't want to put it on the net without their permission.

This guy has helped a lot getting drone views of various areas on the net quickly.

https://www.facebook.com/atmosphereaerial/?fref=ts&rf=276156439416574

Attachments

• 13912718_1081109468639440_7599223479252557788_n.jpg
    13912718_1081109468639440_7599223479252557788_n.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 467
  • 13912602_10154629541177313_8710809503230259754_n.jpg
    13912602_10154629541177313_8710809503230259754_n.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 514

Big2dabank

According to some of my sources back home, if you are thinking about sending a care package or a box of supplies that you want to ensure gets to my community is to the following:

Lamar Dixon Expo Center
9039 S St Landry Ave
Gonzales, LA 70737

Working on a few other locations as more infomration becomes available.

crwalkerasla

Being a Mississippian, I remember and took part in helping our Louisiana neighbors with the Katrina clean-up. But then it was using chain saws and tractors to get trees off of houses, but all the relief efforts were organized through the local churches and denominational associations. Everyone was working together. Please post the names and contact information of those who can get the assistance to those in need.