• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Virtually every person on here says their transfer case fluid gets dirty quickly and looks terrible when changed. Am I the only person who does NOT experience this? I really don't understand the difference, but I have never changed the fluid where it looked like it had degraded at all. It always comes out bright red just like when I put it in.
I think this is the first time, except for maybe a 3,000 mile change right after installing a new unit, where mine was clean. Maybe it's more off road use that creates the dirty oil, like dirt coming in through the breather. Or maybe low range use. I don't know, I'm guessing, but I didn't have much off road use before this fluid change.

rascole

Virtually every person on here says their transfer case fluid gets dirty quickly and looks terrible when changed. Am I the only person who does NOT experience this? I really don't understand the difference, but I have never changed the fluid where it looked like it had degraded at all. It always comes out bright red just like when I put it in.
I change mine every year and it has only changed to a slight brown color and never like the first time I changed it with 105K on it when it was near black.

4speedfunk

I'm having to cut a leaf spring out of my 09. Bolts are seized in the bushing sleeves. That's fun...

SawZall! Grab some new poly bushings from Siberian. They offer them for the entire rear suspension, including the shackle bushings that are pressed into the frame rails. Nice upgrade.

Jeff V.

Got one of those Diablo Steel Demon carbide tipped blades. It was tricky getting the saw in at the right angle, but it did the job. The rear shackle bolt was also seized, so I just cut the shackle and destroyed the bushing. I already had a set of upper shackle bushings from GM, and my OME springs came with their own bushings. I think I'm finally done taking this thing apart. Now I can start putting it back together. Then it's time to deal with the seized rear brake fittings. There's just enough rust on this thing to make it a pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Jeff V.

Jeff 2, rust 0.

H3CE-bushing1.jpg

H3CE-bushing2.jpg

For some reason the passenger side bolts aren't seized. Guess maybe it's been worked on before. That side should go a lot smoother.

Jeff V.

I'm finally moving on to the cleanup and re-assembly portion of my rear suspension rebuild. I'm also taking some pretty drastic measures to deal with some badly corroded fittings on the rear brake lines. I love how GM basically made a shelf for the upper flare nuts to catch extra dirt and moisture, while also making it impossible to get tools on them once they seize up.

MilamJR

I'm finally moving on to the cleanup and re-assembly portion of my rear suspension rebuild. I'm also taking some pretty drastic measures to deal with some badly corroded fittings on the rear brake lines. I love how GM basically made a shelf for the upper flare nuts to catch extra dirt and moisture, while also making it impossible to get tools on them once they seize up.

GM engineers are always striving to make their vehicles easy to work on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjferencak

Went to get my windshield replaced and was told that this needed to be fixed before they could put the new one in. Well I did with a harbor freight mig welder. First time welding and I spent all day practicing welding techniques. Turned out decent. 20ga isn’t fun to weld on.
5c3c3e5a6e912b37500df767d4b7b686.jpg

0ba85cc9ef5aac679dfb2fd5febee3d7.jpg

4d5befd080ae7dbb607ff9db184ceef9.jpg

MilamJR

Went to get my windshield replaced and was told that this needed to be fixed before they could put the new one in. Well I did with a harbor freight mig welder. First time welding and I spent all day practicing welding techniques. Turned out decent. 20ga isn’t fun to weld on.
5c3c3e5a6e912b37500df767d4b7b686.jpg

0ba85cc9ef5aac679dfb2fd5febee3d7.jpg

4d5befd080ae7dbb607ff9db184ceef9.jpg

Nice patch job.

Jeff V.

Seized brake fittings suuuck.

I had to install new fittings on the rear lines and re-flare them under the truck. Had to pull the gas tank (again) to do it. Not fun. Having a good, compact flaring tool helped a lot though.

H3CE-brake_line2.jpg

I also had to make a new front left line. That was a fair amount of tedious trial and error, but at least I wasn't folded up on the ground.

H3CE-brake_line1.jpg

I'm finally nearing the end of this brake and suspension rebuild.

Last edited:

amrg

I found front and rear 4.56 axles to replace my 4.10s, had to buy the whole thing to get them at a discount ($300 total)
ead7a7bc8cddad3c704c605d6938e82c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

MilamJR

I found front and rear 4.56 axles to replace my 4.10s, had to buy the whole thing to get them at a discount ($300 total)
ead7a7bc8cddad3c704c605d6938e82c.jpg

I think you should be able to find $300 of parts to sell and finance the axels.

amrg

Its actually been stripped but a few items are still there like the air bags/bcm/fpcm/abs pump and other not very quick to go items. The tcase was for $100 extra.
But im pretty sure you're right about getting the money back!

rascole

Its actually been stripped but a few items are still there like the air bags/bcm/fpcm/abs pump and other not very quick to go items. The tcase was for $100 extra.
But im pretty sure you're right about getting the money back!

Black mirrors? Want to ship to CA?

rascole

Had to cut my Mojave Road trip short. 50 mph in a sand wash and a boulder popped up and grabbed my tire. when i was lowering the jack it shifted and pinched my hand next to the door. 4 stitches later and an upset wife. Didn't post the meaty picture unless alrock says go for it.
IMG_20201121_110129074 (960x1280).jpg
IMG_20201121_111800329_HDR (960x1280).jpg
IMG_20201121_165244_01 (960x1280).jpg

amrg

Black mirrors? Want to ship to CA?
Im not really sure about the mirror being black, ill have to check. The passenger side is missing though and so are the a few handles (if you want those too)
Unfortunately im in Qatar so shipping would be a killer! I think somewhere in the range of $100
If you know someone stationed here theyre more than welcome to take it

Jeff V.

What do you think the cost would be for the body control module? I've been wanting to get my hands on an export BCM for a little project I'm working on.