• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

BC backroader

Since the snow has hit my local mountains hard in the last few weeks, I ditched the well worn 265/75/16s the previous owner put on my H3, and emptied my wallet for 5 new 285/75/16 Nokian Rotiva AT+, which are 3 peak/snowflake rated, and a new set of V-bar chains to fit. Now I can get waaay back on the snowy trails before I get stuck, and no one can reach me, LOL

amrg

Got the axles out from my donner truck. The front axle has zero rust, just needs cleaning, new axle seals and ill give it a layer of undercoat. The rear has minimal rust so clean/paint and then undercoat.
Hopefully it will be an easy swap into my alpha, 4.56 gear swap under $500
bbe3f408698a2d814cfd2fccf213cc03.jpg
915ea6245b06640d42178b59e5cc20ae.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

amrg

Slow progress, got the rear axle sanded to remove the surface rust, primed and painted. Still need one more coat then Ill apply a rust protrection layer.
31869aeff3c2a0e4fb1512cf8d1a73f0.jpg
10190cb88b178b894cc008f359540d40.jpg

amrg

Yup, white limestone! Im sure you dont miss the summers here though!
Passing by?

zebra

not sure, but i'd say it's likely... doubt i'll make it over to Doha, though.
4 out of 5 prior trips have seen June and/or July, and i'll get to re-live the desert summer again this time. but being a Southern boy, i don't mind it too much.

amrg

Well my project got delayed for 2 weeks. The local dealer doesnt carry front axle seals so I had to order them frol the states. Its sad really esp since in this country its a monopoly (1 brand 1 dealer) and the GM+Cadillac+Hummer dealer here has a policy of not stocking anything and just ordering parts whenever someone needs them, and ever since they stopped business with the UAE the waiting period jumped from 48 hours to 1 month!
So yeah, fedex internatiomal it is.
Another set back is that ace hardware ran out of rustoleum products. Looking somewhere else to get a specific rust protective paint to apply on the axle, otherwise ill take it to an undercoating business and pay them to spray it.

jimmy p

Well my project got delayed for 2 weeks. The local dealer doesnt carry front axle seals so I had to order them frol the states. Its sad really esp since in this country its a monopoly (1 brand 1 dealer) and the GM+Cadillac+Hummer dealer here has a policy of not stocking anything and just ordering parts whenever someone needs them, and ever since they stopped business with the UAE the waiting period jumped from 48 hours to 1 month!
So yeah, fedex internatiomal it is.
Another set back is that ace hardware ran out of rustoleum products. Looking somewhere else to get a specific rust protective paint to apply on the axle, otherwise ill take it to an undercoating business and pay them to spray it.

Reading your posts makes me feel fortunate that most of my parts arrive in 1 or 2 days with free shipping.

zebra

dang... u-haul let you rent that?
i remember them trying to deny me a rental to tow a camaro with my 1/2 ton GMC - trying to say the truck wasn't rated high enough. :roll:

Gpcalero

i remember them trying to deny me a rental to tow a camaro with my 1/2 ton GMC - trying to say the truck wasn't rated high enough. :roll:

lmao yes. I've rented them a few times with the H3T already for when I can't use my buddy's trailer. Haven't had an issue yet. Maybe they don't have the H3T Alpha towing specs in their system? :giggle:

Last edited:

jimmy p

I ran into similar problems, it seems no one told them that 1/2 ton tow capacities have significantly increased since 1980.

zebra

lmao yes. I've rented them a few times with the H3T already for when I can't use my buddy's trailer. Haven't had an issue yet. Maybe they don't have the H3T Alpha towing specs in their system? :giggle:
speaking of... has that B&W aluminum drop ball really been worth the coin?
i got a $60 amazon special that does the job, but 1) is a little rattly, 2) is still about 1-2" too high, and 3) sticks out a few inches farther - making my chains a little tighter than i care for.

Lauren

Yeah and $50 to fedex 2 axle seals aint cheap either!

I feel your pain with finding parts! Not even looking for a decent price just literally finding the part haha!
I'm just waiting for some stuff to come over from Rock Auto.. :roll:

But usually I find various parts on Amazon or Desert Cart or there's a place here called New York Auto Spare Parts LLC, they've usually got pretty much everything GM and AC Delco. Not sure if they'll ship to Qatar but thought if they do then it's gotta be cheaper than shipping from the US!

If you want to check them out, their Instagram is @newyorkauto
Email Address: nyapshj@newyorkautogroupco.com
Or I've got a whatsapp number if you want it..

amrg

Ill take a look and see, but not optimistic given there are no travel betweem here and the UAE, yet. But thanks

amrg

You know ive been monitoring dubbizle for some time trying to find a rancho lifted H3 that could possibly come for sale (havent found any). One thing I realized though was that most H3s in UAE came with lockers, none in Qatar

Lauren

You know ive been monitoring dubbizle for some time trying to find a rancho lifted H3 that could possibly come for sale (havent found any). One thing I realized though was that most H3s in UAE came with lockers, none in Qatar

Ahh yeah me too, but I've never really seen any "crazy" lifted H3's here (meaning more than just a torsion bar crank) they're mainly stock... even in the "UAE Hummer Group" where they've customized their cars, it's mainly H1's & 2's..
Yeah there's a good balance of lockers/ no lockers etc over here... The V8 engine is the unicorn.. & the H3T. Took forever to find my V8 so I had to make the choice.. V8 engine but base or I5 with lockers with OEM Off Road lights etc.... engine won :)
It's ridiculous how many people here think that all H3's are V6 engines.. I'm talking about owners, not just randomers haha! Like seriously dude open the hood and look at what is in your car!

You guys have more V8's in Qatar, right?

amrg

According to the service tech 10 years ago, 50 Alphas were imported to the UAE and Qatar. Not sure if 50 each or total, but Ive only seen less than 10 other Alphas during the past 10 years.
As for the crazy mods, none were done here. All stock and mostly bling. Being different I get stopped often and my truck isnt really a look at me truck. Im sure if more people did 35s and a crank my truck would stand out less.
I noticed on dubbizle that the H2s are lifted, thats why was hoping that maybe one guy in the UAE bought a rancho lift for his H3. I am also looking for bumpers (i know there is 1 BA bumper in the UAE but that owner last posted in 2013), ARB is too heavy @160 lbs and was looking for a locked front axle to upgrade my gearing to 4.56 but will settle for an unlocked aluminum that I got here for almost nothing.
Probably once the border opens illcontact the junkyards there to see what they have!
And yea diffenetly the V6 thing. Its a misconception. I mean how many 5 cylinder driven cars do you know off? Given the size of the H3 a 4.2L V6 from a trailblazer would make sense, not a 3.5L I5. A heavier truck needs a bigger engine, not smaller. But yeah

Last edited:

Lauren

According to the service tech 10 years ago, 50 Alphas were imported to the UAE and Qatar. Not sure if 50 each or total, but Ive only seen less than 10 other Alphas during the past 10 years.
As for the crazy mods, none were done here. All stock and mostly bling. Being different I get stopped often and my truck isnt really a look at me truck. Im sure if more people did 35s and a crank my truck would stand out less.
I noticed on dubbizle that the H2s are lifted, thats why was hoping that maybe one guy in the UAE bought a rancho lift for his H3. I am also looking for bumpers (i know there is 1 BA bumper in the UAE but that owner last posted in 2013), ARB is too heavy @160 lbs and was looking for a locked front axle to upgrade my gearing to 4.56 but will settle for an unlocked aluminum that I got here for almost nothing.
Probably once the border opens illcontact the junkyards there to see what they have!
And yea diffenetly the V6 thing. Its a misconception. I mean how many 5 cylinder driven cars do you know off? Given the size of the H3 a 4.2L V6 from a trailblazer would make sense, not a 3.5L I5. A heavier truck needs a bigger engine, not smaller. But yeah

Oh that's interesting! Maybe it was 50 in total because, like you, in the last 3 years (where I've been super focused on the H3's) I've only seen a total of 3 other Alphas, 1 in the sand on the side of the road and 2 on dubizzle (Orange one not so long ago in super good condition & a dark green one last year) I went to see the dark green one because it actually had lockers etc on it plus I was renewing a lot on my car so thought it could be a good idea but it had been totally trashed in the desert, transmission screwed, everything in the engine bay had been played with and ruined, leaks everywhere.. it was a sad day.

Anyway, yeah I think its easier to get the accessories and parts for the H2 here compared to the H3 :(
I haven't seen any bumpers etc here :( I wanted to change mine but not sure what to replace it with..
There is a huge graveyard here though and a huge section is dedicated to Hummer, so I'm sure they will have lockers etc in there somewhere... I went there the other day with my boyfriend. But the problem is they know what everything is worth so they increase the prices -_- so gotta do a lot of negotiating haha!

Oh yeah definitely, a V6 would have been much better than the I5 but its just always hilarious that not many people know what engine is in their own vehicle haha!

Gpcalero

speaking of... has that B&W aluminum drop ball really been worth the coin?
i got a $60 amazon special that does the job, but 1) is a little rattly, 2) is still about 1-2" too high, and 3) sticks out a few inches farther - making my chains a little tighter than i care for.

Well... I'm sure you can find something cheaper that does as good of a job as this one. But it's an Andersen 10" drop hitch. The hitch receiver location on the truck is high in general, plus the Rancho lift kit made it higher still. -- I ran into the same problem you had, but with a 6" drop, was still too high lol.

I like it, looks good works good and can switch the ball in 30 secs. Mine rattles if I go over a speed bump but doesn't rattle in general. You could always buy an anti rattle kit on Amazon or one of those plastic sleeve deals. Only issue I don't like is the lip on the truck's chain hookup is fat and sometimes it makes the chain short if i have to loop it through and hook on the chain itself. If not, then they are usually fine in length.

Hope that helps!

zebra

the Trailblazer 4.2 was also inline - literally the H3 engine with an extra cylinder.
you might've been thinking of the old 4.3 v6, which was a 350SBC minus 2 cylinders.

Well... I'm sure you can find something cheaper that does as good of a job as this one. But it's an Andersen 10" drop hitch. The hitch receiver location on the truck is high in general, plus the Rancho lift kit made it higher still. -- I ran into the same problem you had, but with a 6" drop, was still too high lol.

I like it, looks good works good and can switch the ball in 30 secs. Mine rattles if I go over a speed bump but doesn't rattle in general. You could always buy an anti rattle kit on Amazon or one of those plastic sleeve deals. Only issue I don't like is the lip on the truck's chain hookup is fat and sometimes it makes the chain short if i have to loop it through and hook on the chain itself. If not, then they are usually fine in length.

Hope that helps!
it does; thanks. i'll have to check out the Andersen