• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

SolidusJ

Alright... I'm done with making my truck into a moving light tower lol.

All the lights are rigid industries products:
40" spot/flood bar
DOT fogs
6" amber spots
Amber flood pods
20200702_122514.jpg
20200702_122559.jpg
20200702_122627.jpg

The rear:
Flood pods
6" diffuse bars
20200702_122721.jpg

If anyone cares, here's the switches:
Left- back up, also connected to reverse signal
Middle- main light bar
Right- ambers
20200702_122659.jpg

EndeavoredH3

Another day with transmission fluid on the ground. Luckily it started smoking BAD, so I had an indicator to pull over. It’s not the section of line that popped off earlier in the week but closer to the transmission. :gaah:

I’m just going to have a couple beers and call it a night. I’ll see what I find in the morning.

6E8A4F60-7157-4A45-9F54-292519A4E69A.jpeg

DFW Spartan

Another day with transmission fluid on the ground. Luckily it started smoking BAD, so I had an indicator to pull over. It’s not the section of line that popped off earlier in the week but closer to the transmission. :gaah:

I’m just going to have a couple beers and call it a night. I’ll see what I find in the morning.

View attachment 26444
After installing an external trans coooler, to bypass the internal one in the radiator, the rubber Derale transmission line split on me, spewing fluid everywhere, on two separate occasions. Then the double clamped rubber line blew off the OE steel line spraying fluideverywhere. Luckily I caught it each time and shut it down quickly. But that was the final straw. Decided to run braided stainless steel lines with 6 AN fittings, direct from the transmission to the external cooler (Tru-Cool M7B). I may go back and install a thermal bypass, for when I'm in colder climates. But not really needed right now in Texas. A little pricey, but the peace of mind is well worth it.

I included a pic of the fittings and trans line I used, in case you're interested going that route. FYI, I used a 45 and a 90 degree fitting coming off the AN fitting adapter at the transmission.
823977545ad1942abb535929c45ee5df.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

amrg

Make sure you're not having other pressure related issues, I had my trans cooler installed 6 years ago and never had an issue with the rubber hoses

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

DFW Spartan

Make sure you're not having other pressure related issues, I had my trans cooler installed 6 years ago and never had an issue with the rubber hoses

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Yeah on mine, I thought potentially the same. So I took it to a Transmission shop and had them check it out after the rubber hose blew off. They didn't see anything wrong with the way i had it set up, and it pressure tested fine. Their guess was i didn't have hose pushed far enough on the OE steel line, I didn't have a big enough barb on the steel line, and it eventually worked itself loose.

I had a Derale thermal bypass installed both times when the rubber line first split. Their and my guess was either the rubber hose was faulty, the thermal bypass was faulty, or a combination of both. I removed/tossed the bypass from the setup after the line split the 2nd time. Then the line blew off.

The transmission shop re ran everything with rubber line. I later switched everything over to braided SS lines with 6AN fittings to remove any failure points, and for peace of mind.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

SolidusJ

Another mod done... And I'm half dead as always lol.

What does this lil guy do?
20200704_140344.jpg

I'll give ya a hint, the switch is in line with a very important wire going to the BCM.
received_556688235027006.jpeg

Still not sure? How about this?
received_1984950781629473.png

First one to get it, you'll have my respect on this whole mess lol.

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
Another mod done... And I'm half dead as always lol.

What does this lil guy do?
View attachment 26445

I'll give ya a hint, the switch is in line with a very important wire going to the BCM.
View attachment 26446

Still not sure? How about this?
View attachment 26447

First one to get it, you'll have my respect on this whole mess lol.
Does it go to the light blue wire for the exterior lights? Kill switch?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SolidusJ

Does it go to the light blue wire for the exterior lights? Kill switch?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dark blue B6, this kills the truck lol. Pretty much interrupts the signal from the ignition to the BCM, the truck does nothing when you rotate the key.

I have a 3 position switch in line, thinking of using the 3rd wire and run it to a horn inside the cab. Not sure if I want to clean crap off my seat if someone does want to try and take her lol.

SolidusJ

Hit up Ram offroad park here in the springs.
20200705_153619.jpg20200705_155450.jpgreceived_2714542625459101.jpeg20200705_160828.jpg

Transmission was happy the whole trip, highest temp was 172. Engine stayed at 199, but hit 212 once or twice. Only busted part was a sway bar link.
20200705_170033.jpg

Last edited:

Bowser-II

Bunch of stuff recently, realized I have not updated my ‘build’ page recently

Swapped out Schwartzzy leaf mounts for TomP’s last Sunday, painted green of course. Had to get a 12 mm Allen key and the guy at AutoZone says “what is that....?”, then blanked out when I tried to explain it.

e121d64383ab1a14eb744b45c91c6a9d.jpg

Camping in GWNF with USMC315 this weekend

Thursday was was fun with a lot of fog
c9fd376c9598fc53438a31d534d83c77.jpg

Good coffee Friday morning

7e1ac7bd36a44dc62b5994e85729cb4e.jpg

Enjoying the views at Reddish knob (photo courtesy of Scott)

5dd08e15e6c547d8129763d87de2e5b3.jpg

80faadcda46840e3babb86ab7e61ec3b.jpg

Back that night at Flag Pole again, with bourbon and an air compressor

0f9d5b1d43f177d81e198141c6431f01.jpg

107d58084dc80876f8b1b124e5049fa6.jpg

Meadow Knob was clear enough for some good views today

8f2bf26b48444f350144a1db78b5c4ef.jpg

On the way down yesterday we met a fella who travels with the 4x4buddy subreddit, he was pretty cool and had a real nice older 4Runner.

From the west side we went over to Peters Mill Run and started on the south side going north. Very steep and wobbly and dusty but not technical at all. Neither of us had ever run it so I wasn’t sure what to expect.

No photos from that part of the trip unless Scott picked some up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris Laun

This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.
IMG_3110.jpg

IMG_3111.jpg

IMG_3112.jpg

IMG_3113.jpg

IMG_3114.jpg

All of the front end work is in preparation for new 37" tires while retaining stock height, eventual dual-pass radiator replacement up front, and ease of maintenance for the future:thumbs:

Last edited:

Korby7

I finally made time to take it on a real trail since the SAS. Forest Lake Road.
CABDBEE8-7F7C-4CAD-81F3-B965EA97DA1C.png
I wasn’t disappointed (actually used my sliders for something other than a step finally). I can’t thank 4speedfunk and people like him enough. Without his detailed thread on CGAlphas, I wouldn’t have attempted the project. I’m absolute crap at taking the time to document details and sharing like so many on here do. Lots of awesome people on an awesome forum.

Bowser-II

View attachment 26471
I wasn’t disappointed (actually used my sliders for something other than a step finally). I can’t thank 4speedfunk and people like him enough. Without his detailed thread on CGAlphas, I wouldn’t have attempted the project. I’m absolute crap at taking the time to document details and sharing like so many on here do. Lots of awesome people on an awesome forum.

Good photo, nice work on the truck.

Chris Laun

View attachment 26471

This build turned out awesome and it looks great out there

cgalpha08

"Like Nothing Else"
View attachment 26471

Looks amazing! Glad you are enjoying it!

EndeavoredH3

Wow, it’s already been a couple weeks? This move is taking up too much time :giggle:. I got under it and it seems like I either tightened the hose clamp right on the flare, causing it to crack and open up. Hose seemed it was dry rotted but was just made in March? I’m going AN fittings to the factory hardline, I can’t have this happening when work starts up next month.

Attachments

• 34635D21-DA41-47E8-8604-8C3E27AD942D.jpeg
    34635D21-DA41-47E8-8604-8C3E27AD942D.jpeg
    885.9 KB · Views: 272

mjferencak

This is what happens when I have too much time on my hands.
View attachment 26466

View attachment 26467

View attachment 26468

View attachment 26469

View attachment 26470

All of the front end work is in preparation for new 37" tires while retaining stock height, eventual dual-pass radiator replacement up front, and ease of maintenance for the future:thumbs:

Did you still retain your original radio unit? Is the tablet tied into your stereo?

Chris Laun

Did you still retain your original radio unit? Is the tablet tied into your stereo?

I have been utilizing tablets and a small SXS bluetooth head unit for the past 2 years or so, and just recently installed the iPad for the larger screen and ease of use with my iPhone. If you take a close look at where my rear wiper switch would be, you'll see the tiny SXS head unit

Sennin

Any photos of what you did under the bumper to mount the second D ring?

Unfortunately not, but I went the chain route, so I just drilled holes in the bumper, spray painted them to prevent rust, then bolted the D-shackle onto the bumper. the Bolts are long, so I then took a piece of chain and put it over the one bolt, then took it underneath the frame and over the bottom lobe of the T (you will see the frame makes a T there) and onto the other D-shackle bolt from there i took it across the top of the frame over the Top Piece of the T to the first bolt. Then you just tighten the nuts until the chain is taught(and install lock tight or lock nuts if you want), thus having no rattles from the chain.

it should work fine as a recovery point, but i will still primarily use the hitch receiver D shackle

Last edited: