Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 202 of 211 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202203204205206 ... LastLast
Results 3,016 to 3,030 of 3162
    Street Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnArmor View Post
    90% complete, the forward hold down hooks work perfect for mounting securely using steel L brackets .Attachment 26970Attachment 26971
    OK, spill! Where did you get the Hummer bags?
    We don't stop playing because we grow old... We grow old because we stop playing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 650Hawk For This Useful Post:

mjferencak (12-08-2020)

Bald Tire
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 650Hawk View Post
    OK, spill! Where did you get the Hummer bags?
    A friend of mine found them at a garage sale for $1 each, lol
    Never Give Up!!

2007 Hummer H3 purchased new, 168000 miles and still beating it up.
    2008 Hummer H3 Alpha

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    This might be frowned upon, but I have my next project!
    Name:  068584D2-3F35-4BD0-83E4-521719277BDB.jpeg
Views: 177
Size:  692.3 KB
    No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of Soldiers.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,822 Times in 1,000 Posts
    2WD swap?

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 4speedfunk View Post
    2WD swap?
    Pretty much, selectable 4x4 set up.
    No one is more professional than I. I am a Noncommissioned Officer, a leader of Soldiers.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SolidusJ View Post
    Pretty much, selectable 4x4 set up.
    Maybe I am wrong but you would have to run in 4Hi lock right? Wouldn't still send power to the still connected front wheel? Isn't 2wd only achievable with a 2wd TC?
    2006 H3 Adventure & modified Rancho with SOA

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rascole View Post
    Maybe I am wrong but you would have to run in 4Hi lock right? Wouldn't still send power to the still connected front wheel? Isn't 2wd only achievable with a 2wd TC?
    From what I've come up with, something that can be wrong. The actuator unlocks the front diff, yes, the t-case would send power.

But there wouldn't any drag from the front diff b.c its unlocked. Again, I could be all wrong. One of the 355 guys put a Colorado axle tube on a cast iron H3 diff.

Also, the axle tube I pick up is cast iron, so the strength should be the same.

Baja

Thanks
    I don't think this will achieve any sucesses, unless another type of transfercase is swapped in there. That front driveshaft will still be spinning. 4Hi unlocked will just burn up the transfer. Won't achieve any easily measureable gasmilage saving.

Is there something I'm missing?

Schwarttzy.com - Off-Road Parts, Manuals, and More!

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarttzy View Post
    I don't think this will achieve any sucesses, unless another type of transfercase is swapped in there. That front driveshaft will still be spinning. 4Hi unlocked will just burn up the transfer. Won't achieve any easily measureable gasmilage saving.

Is there something I'm missing?
    I don't see how the T-case would get burnt out seeing how its only going to spin the front driveshaft just as fast as the rear. This is pretty much going about making it 2WD like the guy that got locking hubs made for his 3.

My T spends more time on the road rather on the trails just because I really don't have a reason to go unless I'm part of a group. If I can pick up a few miles doing this, then why not? Just need a few gaskets, CV seal and a weekend.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Good luck! Interested to see how this works out!
    Btw there is a part you can buy that allows the tcase to become 2WD in 4HI open if this doesnt work
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/293069986093

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    06 H3, Birch White, Lux , Cooper AT3 35s, Borla Performance Cat-back, Bilsteins front w/ 1/2" extended stops, Hunner sleeve, Air Doc w/ K&N filter, Oem Roof lights, 55W HID Headlights and 35W Fog lights.

09 H3 V8, Arctic Silver, LS376/480 Conversion, 3000 stall, Custom E-fans, 37" KM3 tires, XD Rockstar Wheels 17x9, OEM Sliders, 40K External Trans Cooler, Bilstein 5160s front 5100 rear, O.D. Steering Bracket, 2" Body Lift, Custom Exhaust, Custom intake pipe & K&N filter, Custom PCM tune, Pioneer DVD unit, Aurora 40" LED Light Bar, 50 W HID Headlights

12. The Following User Says Thank You to amrg For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)

Low Profile
    Thanks
    I’ve had that 2wd kit in for quite awhile now on my T and have not had any issues. Works great so far. Have bought an additional kit for my spare transfer case. Add this to the parts you already have and it should work

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gfbh3t For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)

Baja
    Thanks
    From what I've come up with, something that can be wrong. The actuator unlocks the front diff, yes, the t-case would send power.

But there wouldn't any drag from the front diff b.c its unlocked. Again, I could be all wrong. One of the 355 guys put a Colorado axle tube on a cast iron H3 diff.

Also, the axle tube I pick up is cast iron, so the strength should be the same.
    The tube isn't what explodes, it's the slide collar for the axle disconnect that lets go under load off-road. We actually make a shaft that deletes the axle disconnect for the s10 crowd because they are such a nightmare. GM actually did this with the AWD olds bravada from the factory. They had a thread where people over the years tracked their MPG before and after and the worst loss in mpg averaged 0.5. Really don't think it's worth it unless you have a SAS
    Current:

2006 Red H3 Adventure/ luxury- 37" iroks, HD tierods, steering rack kit, custom front IFS HP Dana 44 diff with Yukon zip locker, Np241 manual T-case, 6.0L VVT/ 6L90 swap

2008 Black H3 Alpha- HD tierods, steering rack kit, Custom HD lower control arm bushing kit

2007 Black H3 Luxury- 1.25" bodylift, elocker, 4:1 t-case, steering rack kit, custom front IFS HP Dana 50 diff with truetrac, 37" bfg km2, H3x 18" wheels

2009 Black H3T base- custom front IFS HP Dana 44 diff with truetrac, 37" centennial trail hogs, H3x 18" wheels

2008 White H3 Adventure

I think we might have too many of these things now...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to atvspeed4 For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I don't see how the T-case would get burnt out seeing how its only going to spin the front driveshaft just as fast as the rear. This is pretty much going about making it 2WD like the guy that got locking hubs made for his 3.

My T spends more time on the road rather on the trails just because I really don't have a reason to go unless I'm part of a group. If I can pick up a few miles doing this, then why not? Just need a few gaskets, CV seal and a weekend.
    I hope it works out for you, If it works out great! if not, well I am sure you learned some things along the way
    2009 Hummer H3T Alpha

18. The Following User Says Thank You to RamRod For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    Nothing wrong with trying a mod. I did the OD upgrade/swap in my 01 ZR2 and did not see any changes in MPG.
    2006 H3 Adventure & modified Rancho with SOA

20. The Following User Says Thank You to rascole For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)

Super Swamper
    Thanks

You mean the guy that spent too much time and money trying to add locking hubs to a vehicle that wasn't designed for them and then apparently very quickly ended up blowing them up on the trail (like a few of us said he would) and we never heard from him again? Frankly if he had just gone the route you're taking he would have been better off and the money he would have saved with this setup rather than those custom and fragile hubs of his he would have come out ahead financially since he would not have ever saved enough gas with that setup to compensate for the cost of doing all that to his truck.

At least with this mod you're not spending thousands on custom crap that you won't be able to find at an Autozone or NAPA if it decides to go out on you. I didn't see you mention it though but you do know you'll have to drive around with the center diff locked in order to be able to go anywhere while the front axle is unlocked with this mod, right? If the center diff is unlocked (4HI unlocked) you'll just sit and spin the front drive shaft while the rear drive shaft won't move an inch. In 4HI locked the center diff that is in the transfer case is locked so that both the front and rear driveshaft will spin together, regardless of what is going on in the front or rear diffs.

The Colorado guys don't have that problem because their transfer case is designed differently and there is no center differential in it, so when the transfer case is in 2wd mode only the rear driveshaft is being driven, and when you put it in 4wd it engages the front driveshaft as well. The center differential in our transfer case is necessary for full time 4WD to work on pavement as the front and rear driveshafts have to be able to turn at different rates when taking turns and other similar maneuvers. However this means that if any part of the front drivetrain is no longer operational (broken or disconnected front driveshaft, differential, or axles) then you simply stop moving when in 4HI unlocked. Same thing happens if you were driving on a loose surface and 3 of your tires have grip but the 4th tire loses grip. You won't go anywhere until the traction control kicks in and tries to stop the spinning wheel from moving using the brakes. In 4HI locked you can have one tire lose traction and still move forward. once 2 tires lose traction (1 on each axle) you stop moving again unless you have locking front and/or rear differentials.

It's not a big deal to leave the center diff locked, but I think you're adding complexity and additional points of failure that don't need to be there for a benefit that is highly dubious at best and historically proven to be absent. You're not changing how much mass has to be moved/rotated by the engine with this setup so you won't see any improvement in MPG or power. You would have to replace the transfer case with one that is designed for part-time 4wd (or pay who knows how much money for that custom bit the locking hubs guy used) in order to see any potential (though still minuscule) benefits. Your H3 and feel free to mod away, but the whole 2wd vs full time 4wd thing has been hashed over several times on here. It's also been a topic of discussion for years around the internet and I have as of yet to see anyone with proof that a part time 4wd vehicle gets better gas mileage than a full time 4wd vehicle.
    2008 H3 Alpha

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils." - General John Stark

N1JPA

22. The Following User Says Thank You to JPaul For This Useful Post:

SolidusJ (12-14-2020)