• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

cowboy_tech

Apparently my front drive shaft is toast. Rancho lift is known to chew through the front cv so yay me. Ordered a new cv and u joint, something to do this week.
Any reason you didn't go with the ThorParts/Taton front shaft? It's a more robust setup.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk
aef32d0cef408519cb5b6769b412a47f.jpg
b8c8166d1f1140ebfe8f0c6673f90921.jpg

Last edited:

Traxx

A rebuild kit was 120, iirc those drive shafts run like 500 give or take. Mine worked fine for 105k then made a nice snack for the Rancho.

Figured I could use the other 380 to buy some plywood and bondo so I can restrict the airflow to my radiator and cut a third of the output of the already weak stock halogens for my angry eyeball grille project. :)

Any reason you didn't go with the ThorParts/Taton front shaft? It's a more robust setup.

cowboy_tech

A rebuild kit was 120, iirc those drive shafts run like 500 give or take. Mine worked fine for 105k then made a nice snack for the Rancho.

Figured I could use the other 380 to buy some plywood and bondo so I can restrict the airflow to my radiator and cut a third of the output of the already weak stock halogens for my angry eyeball grille project. :)
I can understand cost. My setup cost roughly $300. As for cooling, I'd like to have an actual functioning hood vent.

amrg

A hood vent doesnt reduce your coolant temps. It will only reduce heat soak when the engine is off

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

cowboy_tech

A hood vent doesnt reduce your coolant temps. It will only reduce heat soak when the engine is off

Well, considering when I'm on the trail, when I have the hood popped open it stays cooler. Shoot, my Alpha gets up to 220 in town. Of course it's only an issue when temps are above 90.

atvspeed4

I have a feeling alot of these overheating issues are relating to worn factory fan clutches. It's been 98 degrees here and pulling a massive 20 ft cargo trailer across the state up the hills on masspike I did not go over 3/4 on thermostat with factory radiator and internal transmission cooler. Try swapping to a HD fan cluch to help with cooling

cowboy_tech

3/4 on my temp gauge is pushing 230 deg. Now granted, the fan clutch is next on the list. When my old rad started leaking, I upgraded to a dual core full aluminium, so that's been done. Also no longer running the trans oil through the rad.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I replaced my radiator with a new Ron Davis all aluminum radiator. I'm using the internal trans cooler and I added an external trans cooler with a thermal bypass. Last Friday it was 110F when I drove home pulling my camping trailer and my coolant temperature never exceeded 215F. However, an hour after I got home the trans cooler fan was still running.

P.S. I'm still using the original OEM fan.

cowboy_tech

I replaced my radiator with a new Ron Davis all aluminum radiator. I'm using the internal trans cooler and I added an external trans cooler with a thermal bypass. Last Friday it was 110F when I drove home pulling my camping trailer and my coolant temperature never exceeded 215F. However, an hour after I got home the trans cooler fan was still running.

P.S. I'm still using the original OEM fan.
How does it do on the trail? I have zero issues running down the highway.

Portager

■ ☼▐▐▐▐▐▐▐ ☼■
I did some off-roading in Los Padre National Forest steep hill climb pulling my camper with no problem. Also, getting to Shelter Cove the road was windy with very steep grades. The transmission was constantly shifting down and the 5.3l was working very hard. Couldn't use 4 low lock because it was on payment. No overheating even pulling the camping trailer. I did, however, develop a pinhole leak in one of the new transmission cooler lines, which made a big mess and I couldn't find anyone to work on it up North.

USMC_315

Glad to see the forum is still alive, I remember it getting quiet on the site last time I checked in...

Gonna do an update on my build in the next week or so but in the mean time I got a few questions for those savy to workin on their 3's. I've been noticing a musty smell the past couple months inside the cabin, especially after it rains. Remembering back to a post I saw about the sunroof drains clogging I looked around the C pillars and found a trail of moist carpet :giggle: leading from the trim of the Cp pillar behind the rear bench. On top of that it kinda looks like I got water stains in my headliner around the C pillar. How do I take care of this issue?

Also, I have bugs in the car (flies and small beetle like bugs). I have no idea how, I drive the damn thing every day but all of a sudden this started too. Anyone ever dealt with something like that?

Thanks in advance guys!

Bowser-II

Glad to see the forum is still alive, I remember it getting quiet on the site last time I checked in...

Gonna do an update on my build in the next week or so but in the mean time I got a few questions for those savy to workin on their 3's. I've been noticing a musty smell the past couple months inside the cabin, especially after it rains. Remembering back to a post I saw about the sunroof drains clogging I looked around the C pillars and found a trail of moist carpet :giggle: leading from the trim of the Cp pillar behind the rear bench. On top of that it kinda looks like I got water stains in my headliner around the C pillar. How do I take care of this issue?

Also, I have bugs in the car (flies and small beetle like bugs). I have no idea how, I drive the damn thing every day but all of a sudden this started too. Anyone ever dealt with something like that?

Thanks in advance guys!

Only way to clean up is to remove carpets. Probably best to remove the seats as it sounds bad.

Keep the carpet layers spread apart and blow a fan on them to speed the process up. I'd wash down what you can with soap or even a laundry stain remover. It's worked for me in the past.

Make sure you have it completely dry before putting it back together

The bugs? Don't know for sure but they are probably made worse by the moisture. It's been a bad bug year on the east coast anyways with all the rain.

MAKE SURE your drains are cleaned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

amrg

My truck broke down today, at first i thought it was the belt walking off (done that a few times at WOT)

Once cooled it and started checking, turns out my brand new tensioner pulley broke!!!!

Wtf, its an ac delco unit!

What I realized wad that the new ac delco unit that broke has a smaller diameter pulley than the original one

918d40a207c1265094d0708bd3f38900.jpg
edc7b87ab21a0e7417e8500ea47affa3.jpg
a1866b1eb0af345ddec786e9b4e17c9d.jpg

H3TDave

Well I'm waiting on a new a/c compressor condenser dryer and expansion valve to get my a/c going again. Dealership said its low on freon and has multiple leaks and the compressor is going bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Lewiz VenomH3

Added few things since I posted last.
1. Snorkel from Amazon(safari knockoff)
2. Front Arb bumper
3. Rear Thor parts rear bumper
4. Led taillights
5. Sprayed bedliner on fenders,side mirrors,handles and grille
e1e8694f5649bcb9fb8a9ae58e3e2aa0.jpg
5241d19eef703561506ab51fa6386ca8.jpg
a81777b385227acb859129cf988ab69c.jpg
db189df094de09b020cf11e24eb313f3.jpg
24e628c2549c8f1da502a4bdbf9434d5.jpg
6993c261e714a37b1605106b53598ca2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

H3TDave

Dealership wanted a ridiculous amount to remove winch and brush guard so I told them hell no I'll have it off when I bring it back. But now it looks naked.
77c1a1314c261c844ca158af8b0a36c6.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ludevick

“GM exhaust manifold”

Where’d you pick one up? If you don’t mind me asking. Mine needs to be replaced and I’ve only really seen them on GMpartsdirect and similar sites.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk