• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

What did you do with your H3 recently? NEW

GreatDaneHummer

Its not easy. I went to see a used 2001 H1 for sale and after really getting into it found the truck had all kinds of issues to it. If anyone knows of a great condition H1 please shoot me a message. Thanks.

Shrubf4

Well, just got the H3 back about a week and a half to two weeks ago. Torque converter got replaced.

Today with 71,367 on the clock, I turned the ignition, it clunked and is now idling with a hard knock.
After listening and getting it back to the house, it's not the engine, it's coming from the transmission.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Took the Alpha out to Hell Hole Reservoir. Got my skid all battered up nice. Coming down was easier. Very tight trail in some parts.....excellent camping except for the fact that it was pretty windy. Coming out was very difficult, had to bust out the winch several times. Always ended up hung up on the skid plates. Belly clearance was a big issue for me. Otherwise the alpha did great and everyone was very impressed with the rigs capability. At one point my transfer case wouldn't shift into 4Lo. service 4wd came on. Drove as far as I could without 4Lo and then suddenly I could shift again. T-Case overheat?
attachment.php
attachment.php

Didn't overheat probably sticking buttons

Vdawg1115

Didn't overheat probably sticking buttons

Sticking buttons? But the dash did register a "Service 4wd" message. I can push the buttons and the lights for 4Lo or 4Hi lock would just flash but fail to engage. I am glad it corrected itself after a few minutes cause trying to get out of even the most basic rocky section was dicy without a locked tcase

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Pull on the sticking buttons if this happens when you're out. At home, try contact cleaner or even pulling it out and dismantling, though it's not a pleasant task

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

LagunaH1

My truck isn't an H3, it's not even a Hummer but: Yesterday I towed a trailer for the first time. I needed to de-clutter the house and had rented one of the large U-Haul trailers to haul away crap. Gotta admit I'm very pleased with how the truck handled it, and in particular happy about the transmissions tow/haul mode. Enabling tow/haul mode lets the engine work a bit higher up in the rev range so it stays in the torque band more, and it gives you much better engine braking.

Gas mileage was... .uhm.... interesting at about 8.5 Mpg, but this *was* a lot of stop & go driving on surface streets.

LagunaH1

Heheheh... welllllll.... a Humvee isn't nearly as heavy as an H1 so I feel pretty good about being able to do that, just need a couple of things to fall into place first

4speedfunk

Added a crossmember!
Backstory: When you do a SAS, you must remove all the crossmembers forward of the tranny. In most cases, the owner already has an aftermarket front bumper that acts like a crossmember...and it not a big deal. But anytime you remove the front bumper, the frame rails tend to take off in different directions. After all...the only thing holding them in alignment is the motor (mounted to each frame rail with rubber mounts). So when working on my latest bumper creation...I had a beyotch of a time getting the bumper bolt holes to line up. So it was finally time to do what 06H3 did a few years ago. This isn't really a structural mod (the front bumper does that quite well) but rather a convenience piece to make the bumper easier to get on/off. Those of you doing SAS's might want to consider this mod.
First...ratchet-strap the rails and pull them back into position...
8d9ee05cc4f753b090bb9c4ba8b0dbeb.jpg

Then cut a piece of tubing to fit...
014c30936dbd86336c5b1a5857432854.jpg

Then buzz it in (don't forget to disconnect the battery)...
726fbd166faf349016d4a73e64579f29.jpg

Add some primer & paint...
17765b7adc36210e96af11e32eb74e3d.jpg

Reinstall the bumper...wheel on!
If you have done the SAS and still run the stock tinfoil bumper...this mod is a must-do. At the very minimum, install a stiffener plate behind the front bumper. This will help to keep the frame rails in place.

Last edited:

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
Agreed, this is not a structural piece if you already have an aftermarket bumper. There is one of these cross-brace's on the JK...after that it has nothing till the trans just like the SAS H3

CaseyS

I had a massive screw punctured in my rear tire late last week. I saw it before I lost any air. I was in Memphis and had a 6 hour drive home so it couldn't wait. I pulled into the nearest tire store and got the paperwork done for them to pull the tire and plug it. When the service guy came back in he said " I noticed you have a check engine light on, for $94 we can run a diagnostic for you". I told him he probably didn't have enough paper to print out all the codes that were thrown.

Cash9300

This week well ordered new battery and terminals and finally get to pick it up from the transmission shop Friday

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
Working on a problem with my H3. No power to the dash in the on position but if I kick the key back the dash lights up. H3 won't crank or start. Ignition switch is replaced. Thinking BCM but the search continues.