• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Rear hatch tailgate open issue

Caligadget

Probationary Member
I took the back plastic panel off the rear door (hatch) when you pull the handle from the outside door won't open the to part I circle in red isn't moving I have to manually move them to open the door any idea on what part need to be replace ( actuator pulley )
Noticed there's not a lot of pictures floating around the internet any other pictures angles I should take for future user's to use as reference
https://www.photobox.co.uk/my/photo/full?photo_id=9257578770

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Link does not work. Sounds like you just need to take off the inside panels to determine if it's a broken handle, etc.

Zach

Mall Crawler
Link is 50% off photo box stuff. Cool.

Common thing is the actuator, which is part of the lock assy. I know dorman makes the actuator separate for tahoes. Might check that

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Short story---I zip tied mine back together, been working in the desert heat for over a year.

Long story, I never meant to make zip ties a permanent fix, but was too cheap to buy the replacement actuator for $150 or what ever it was. Turns out I could care less if the rear door is locked--only the smart thieves will think to try opening that door and the alarm still makes noise when opened.

The rear door actuator was stripping out and making a terrible ratcheting noise every time I locked or unlocked the doors. I pulled the plastic door trim off and investigated; in the process I lost one of the pieces that made the door open and close with the handle, probably the same type of problem you're having. I figured out that I could zip tie it temporarily until I found a replacement piece. Since I had to put it all back together and it was working, I just decided to leave it alone until the zip ties let loose. In all honesty, even then, I'll probably zip tie it again and skip ordering the assembly. Even if I sell the truck (not likely), the odds are slim anybody would even notice that it's not locking.

Good luck

BTW--I have the rear tire carrier which makes me bolder about leaving that door unlocked. If there were no tire carrier it's all too easy to open the back hatch. Either way, if you back your truck up against anything that will block the tire carrier or door from being opened, it'll never be a problem!

Last edited:

guruerror

Maybe this will help...http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.c...06&ukey_trimLevel=25319&searchString=actuator

If it ends up being #17, LATCH Door Lock End Gate Lock, you should be able to find the part in a junk yard as it was used on other GM vehicles (click Product Fitment/Applications under the item description.)

But if it's #19, CONTROL End Gate Lock, those were specific to the H2.

091207TN17-015.jpg

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
Mine turned out to be the assembly attached to cable #19---- "the whole enchilada that makes all the other tacos work together"

There's an aftermarket part made to replace that, and I think at the time I was looking you could still buy the GM part---but honestly, if a factory part fails before 100K (mirrors, the whole enchilada, etc.) why would I spend more good money to buy that crap? This thread reminds me why I chose not to replace that piece--it's factory garbage.