• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

ARB Snorkel

GreatDaneHummer

Maybe a stupid question but I have never had a snorkel on a truck before. Do you have to worry about rain coming in the front of it when driving? It has a large opening almost like ram air so I would think it would catch water? Also I have seen a few aftermarket filters that are mounted on the top of it as a pre filter? Anyone have part numbers or links on what they are?

Sy-Klone 9001R work for the H3 with 3.7L?

Last edited:

digglesworth

theres a thread somewhere about different attachments for the top. it comes down to volume it lets in and all that techy stuff. i used to think snorkels were purely cosmetic on out trucks until i recently pulled my airbox out to clean all the mud out of it... i think having a thorparts bumper and having the inner fenders trimmed, it leaves the inlet more exposed to splashing mud/water. i may have to look into them again just for that reason. but if you plan to ford some deep water that would require the snorkel, youre opening yourself up to all kinds of other problems. theres one called the sherpa. its the same as the arb but costs less...

GreatDaneHummer

I purchased the ARB one already and it showed up. I am going to have the outside Line X'd just for a little added protection against dirt bikers crashing into my truck... The one from Sherpa does not come with the mating end from snorkel tube to air box from what I read? I may be wrong on this but it wasn't worth the hassle to me so I just did the ARB to be sure it would connect easy and be a complete set. After opening the ARB it is a pretty nice built product and would recommend it.

I love your build fyi.

rsc

I believe that Hunner did some experimenting with pre-filter bowls and found that the 3.5/3.7 doesn't flow enough air for the Sy-klone type filters to work properly. An oiled foam filter in the inlet might be a nice idea though. I don't know if there is a snorkel made just for the 06/07 I-5's though.

GreatDaneHummer

There are 2 different Sy-klone filters the 9001 and 9001R. The 9001 should be good for our 3.5 / 3.7 motors but the 9001R should be for the V8... The 9001 shows 100-275 cfm but the 9001R shows 275-350. I don't believe our 3.5 / 3.7's use more than the min 275 so it makes since that it would not work on the smaller motors? Am I correct in all this?

digglesworth

I think the problem was the diameter of the tops vs the diameter of the snorkel tube. There was something about them not being the same and needing some sort of adapter fabricated. I'm speaking clearly from memory of the thread here so there's a good chance I'm missing something. See if you can dig up the thread...

Thanks for the compliment. I never got around to doing a build thread and it would take me forever to put one together now...

amrg

They claim the scoop design channels water to its sides and they exit from the sides.

They mention it in the link below:

http://www.arb.com.au/products/safari-snorkels/

As for the sherpa, if you have an 08+ then the snorkel kit adapts to the airbox (I have that setup). But it wasnt air tight so I had to add tape on the inside of the adapter to narrow it down and fit tightly.

digglesworth

i just wonder how either of these kits would adapt to the airdoc inlet that replaces the stock inlet through the fender...

GreatDaneHummer

Yes and I have seen your front in nose down in water haha.... So I know it works well lol. Still makes me laugh thinking about you going right in that hole. Too bad I didn't have a winch to pull you back out instead for all we went through to go forward.

4speedfunk

I'm actually "anti-snorkel" on my SAS/SOA rig. It's tall enough now that submerging the RF only occurs at "ludicrous" levels of off-roading. The solid front axle works completely different and the truck no longer goes "tricycle" at such an early level. Instead it articulates, rather than allowing the entire body to roll and dunk the RF fender underwater.
But the snorkel is already installed and required cutting a 4" hole in the fender....otherwise it would be gone. I simply don't need it anymore.

Last edited:

digglesworth

I'm actually "anti-snorkel" on my SAS/SOA rig. It's tall enough now that submerging the RF only occurs at "ludicrous" levels of off-roading. The solid front axle works completely different and the truck no longer goes "tricycle" at such an early level. Instead it articulates, rather than allowing the entire body to roll and dunk the RF fender underwater.
But the snorkel is already installed and required cutting a 4" hole in the fender....otherwise it would be gone. I simply don't need it anymore.

Too bad our trucks aren't the same color....

4speedfunk

Yeah I guess. It draws a bunch of attention but, I'm not really a "Hey look at me" type of guy. People naturally assume you drive across oceans or something but, that's not really the case. I sort of resent the ego boost that it implies.
My biggest complaint is that it tends to snag on tree limbs here in the Midwest.

4speedfunk

I can't recall....I think so. I just took it out of the box and put it on.
Get me a black fender and a week on daddy's Beneteau, and it's all yours!

GreatDaneHummer

I for one enjoy the "Hey look at me" haha I like my ego boosted, I believe this is to make up for the lack in other areas... I even had my new snorkel Line X'd not for any function but for pure sex appeal. It will look sooo good on my truck the ladies will all go ooooooo and want to ride in my pimp H3... ok can't even keep a straight face anymore....

bigwilliedw01

Does the stock snorkel intake suck up more debris than the filter can handle? Been thinking about this but as I am just getting into molding my H3 into a more capable off road rig, I don't know much about this.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4speedfunk

Lots of myths about snorkels:
Make more power?...no.
Allow u to enter 48" of water?...yes.
Saves the motor from gulping water?...yes.
Pre-filter?...silly.
Limbs snagger?...yes.
Suck in snow/rain?...no.
Extend filter life?...no.
Require drilling a hole?...yes.
Draws attention to your rig?...yes.
Makes more noise?...only above 100mph.

digglesworth

Not really sure what you're asking big willie... These snorkels we're talking about (and all snorkels for that matter) mount on the outside of the fender and run up the pillar. They are meant to relocate the air inlet to a higher location. Mostly to keep the inlet away from deep water crossings. But just cause you have one, doesn't mean you can go full submarine with your H3. There's other issues that come into play other than just your air intake location. Door seals leaking, bcm location, trans and diff breathers, etc... Some say that the snorkel is also beneficial in dusty conditions because the inlet is moved up into "cleaner" air and away from all the dirt/dust coming off everyone's tires... These are just my opinions and definitely not the final say. your best bet is to do research. Use the search bar and see what others have to say about them. Weigh out the pros and cons and decide if you need/want one...

amrg

When it comes to dust I think a snorkel/no snorkel are equal. Dust from a car upfront tends to float upwards and if you are in a situation (such as the desert) and following someone the snorkel will bring in alot of dust.

From my experience, a snorkel will bring in cooler air. I noticed Intake air temps dropped by 10 - 15 degrees (in hot weather) and now the truck registers IAT @ 5 degrees warmer than ambient.
Looking at the timing tables, the tune shows that engine timing is retarded once IATs are above certain levels.