• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

southernhummerguy

Hey guys, I've been trying to figure this problem out for a couple weeks without any improvement. So, of course, this is the first (and usually last) place I ask.

First off: I have 2006 H3 with monsoon sound system and installed a 12" kicker using a 5-pin audio connection (WHY ARE THERE NO SUBWOOFER OUTPUTS IN THE HEAD UNIT!!!). I used wire splicers and speaker wire attached to a 3.5mm jack for the xm hack. Since I bought it from the first owner, I never had an XM subscription, but was always able to access XM1 and XM2 bands.

Minus a loose splice (easy fix) everything was working fine, until I noticed the subwoofer would cut in and out mainly with the xm/mp3 and CDs. Checked the sub and amp, everything seemed fine, checked xm connections and head unit everything seemed fine. SO I basically disconnected everything and reconnected it. When I turned everything on the radio (was set on XM band) said no signal found, then switched to FM. I tried cycling back back to XM1 or XM2, but only had FM1, FM2, and AM. CD player works fine, sub works fine, and the 3 radio bands work fine. I've checked the antenna and antenna cable a thousand times and even disconnected the battery to try and reset the system, but still no XM band.

For the love of god, PLEASE HELP ME! I've been spoiled listening to Amazon Music and I can't take these flimsy little disc anymore :gaah:!
(Thanks in advance)

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
How does Amazon Music figure into this? Do you have a stock XM unit (above glove box) or aftermarket unit? Same question regarding the antenna? Do you have any other aftermarket modules in use?

southernhummerguy

I was being facetious about Amazon Music. Basically it's the app I use (similar to pandora but better) for music.

Stock xm radio receiver above the glove box, and stock fin (antenna) on the roof. It originally came with XM radio, but I'm the second owner (bought it in 2010). Since the first day I bought it, I've been able to press "band" on the headunit and cycle through FM1, FM2, AM, XM1, XM2. The XM band was always "preview" channel or channel 0, radio ID, and I never had an XM subscription.

Any clues?

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I used wire splicers and speaker wire attached to a 3.5mm jack for the xm hack.

This is the likely culprit. You've put a splice into the circuit for XM and by "splicers" I'm guessing you mean the Scotchlok connectors. Those connectors are not the best solution for splicing in wires. Either way, I would look to that modification of your system as the likely culprit.

JPaul

Scotchlok's are meant to be used for power distribution, not signal. There are splices similar to the "suitcase" Scotchlok connectors that are meant specifically for signal (like landline phone wires, etc). But even then those are usually dealing with higher voltages than you'll see in the XM feed. You really need to solder those splices to prevent any issues, especially in a high vibration vehicle like ours.

southernhummerguy

Thanks for the input, but the wires I spliced into are just the audio (output from XM receiver/input to headunit). I had one come loose a while back. The only problem I had was bad sound when using the mp3 player, but the XM preview station came through perfectly fine. I re-did the connection and problem fixed.

My current predicament isn't the sound. There is no XM band. I used to have FM1, FM2, AM, XM1, and XM2. Now I only have FM1, FM2, and AM. Everything still seems to be connected properly, but no XM?

deserth3

Most likely the problem is related to something you did wrong. Yes, I understand most people don't like hearing that.
Check the connector going to the XM box. and also to the back of the radio. If they are good and tight. I'd also check fuses. You may have blown one. I have no idea offhand which one goes to XM

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
It's probably not going to XM because it doesn't see the XM module. Why it doesn't see it is probably covered in the posts above

southernhummerguy

The funny part is I know it's something I did wrong :shame:
I just don't know what?

Would disconnecting the XM receiver cause it to reset?
The possibility is I damaged the antenna cable somehow. If that's the case I'm S.O.L.