• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Anyone know of a srs/abs/bcm scanner under $100

07Custom

I have stupid lights (airbag and service stab sys) that keep coming and going.

I want to track down what they are but only have a standard OBDII scanner.

Does anyone know of a cheaper code reader that can scan the codes and help me solve these issues?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

07Custom

Followup question.

Does anyone know if our vehicles require any specific type of diagnostic scanner?

I'm reading a lot of reviews and people are saying that although the scanner says it can read ABS and SRS codes, their vehicle (specifically toyotas) requires a dealer specific code reader.

SuperBuickGuy

The BCM, DCM, and SRS systems are only gotten with the more expensive scanners - that said, the expense is more the software than the hardware. It is rumored that the cheap, Chinese scanners can do most of what the $5k plus scanners can do - but keep firmly in mind that the difference between validated and buying a new computer is generally wrapped up in the price... Quite frankly, you'd be better off throwing $100 at your local mechanic (who is paying off the snap-on $7,500 scanner) then you would buying a cheap, Chinese scanner. I'm sure there are people that are lucky and don't have problems - honestly, I wouldn't risk it.... especially since they may have to program a new computer for you once the diagnosis is complete.
The experience comes because my SRS computer died (it thought my rig had rolled when it hadn't). It require a new VIN burned into a new chip. One other thing, when you pay a mechanic to diagnose, you get (the good mechanics) a person standing behind their work - with my SRS, it went from solid fault to intermittent fault (which was probably the cause of the original failure)... he had to go through and clean every pin in the SRS system to get the codes to stop - all of which, didn't cost me anything more because he and I bought understood that the computer may not have been bad.... I'll tell you what, that was a breathtaking amount of work he did for free....

Point is, you may be saving pennies to spend dollars.

chaos254

I bought a chinese tech 2 for $290. I can read all codes with no issues. I haven't even gotten into all the rest of the stuff it can do

Ucecic

Probationary Member

I bought the same too! I know that thera are 3 basic classes of scanners. First is the generic OBDII readers like this https://10carbest.com/best-obd2-scanner ($75-$150) such as the Innova (BTW I wouldn't trust that the Innova really reads MB proprietary codes unless its documentation specifically states so, or someone can confirm by testing.) Then come the more advanced reader-only devices such as the Autel 802 ($300-500) that can read manufacturer-specific PIDs and live data (such as DPF efficiency, etc.) and last the true bidirectional models (such as the MaxiDAS) that can send diagnostic commands as well as read which start at around $1,000 and go up (way up) from there.
Autel will be the best bang for the buck over Innova and Actron (Bosch).

Last edited:

Traxx

The Tech 2 clones are great for diagnostic work. If you plan on keeping your rig long term then they are a cheap investment. Once you play with it a bit you can always program fobs, unlock radios, program seat modules, etc. for GM people locally to recoup the cost.

Mr_Rich

I have an HF Centech code reader. It does ABS codes but I have to fake it out to read the codes in my truck. I set ABS/2009/ Chevrolet Truck/S/Trailblazer and it links up to my '09 H3T to clear the ABS codes and Stab Sys Failures. It won't link to Hummer or anything else except the previous one I mentioned. I get Link Error. They are intermittent and one of these days I'll to look into it a little deeper. It's a C0136 in case someone wonders....

swant

Probationary Member
I am also looking for an obd2 scanner. Can you tell me: what is the difference between a Bluetooth app scanner and a physical scanner? I mean is there any performance difference? I was thinking to buy Autel brand scanner. I have found a few scanners list here bestobd2scanners.com/autel. But, need to know experience user feedback. I am not thinking to buy a $500 scan tool at the initial stage.

Last edited:
H

harveyspecter

I have stupid lights (airbag and service stab sys) that keep coming and going.

I want to track down what they are but only have a standard OBDII scanner.

Does anyone know of a cheaper code reader that can scan the codes and help me solve these issues?
I know one place to review many devices for scanner. It is Autoguysland. you can visit there to find the best bluetooth obd2 sacnner. It is the great one and easy to use. I think it can be solved your issue.
Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

Hello,
You can buy the obd scanner to find your error code. Hope this is helpful for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

amrg

Resurrecting 3 year old thread are you?
Sadly a general obd scanner wont get abs codes.

4speedfunk

Yeah...07custom is long gone. His H3 was the cobbled-up leaf-sprung solid axle rig (white AP/LP). It had lots of issues, many of which he was trying to resolve. Great guy...turd of a truck.

Airbag light after steering work is usually due to a severed ribbon cable inside the column. This cable is very fragile and it also carries the circuit for the horn. If you have horn/airbag issues accompanied by TCS lights...immediately after steering rack work...it’s very likely the column is mis-indexed.

Once this happens, it is very easy to over-rotate the steering wheel and snap this cable. ALWAYS TIE OFF YOUR STEERING WHEEL when doing any work on the rack. It only takes a minute and a bungee cord. It can save you hundreds and dollars and hours of repairs.

fowlken8

It's always nice to see an acquaintance give you a compliment when you've been MIA for years. Cj is a great guy as well. Patient and helpful. Without him I wouldn't have gotten as far as I did. Countless emails, phone calls and YouTube videos were made to help Chris and I. I owe him beer and a handshake to thank him for his kindness. As creepy as it sounds I think about you when I see a nice H3. The difficulties, lessons and successes will always be remembered man! My dad and I had some cool experiences with your guidance.

Hey... Be nice to the great white Buffalo. [emoji23]
Sent from my Mi MIX 2S using Tapatalk