• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Broke my front diff in my 2003 H2 last weekend at BMR. I need advise!!!!!

oklahummer

Anyone ever do a straight axle swap on a H2? I've read you can use a dodge 3/4 ton front axle. I have 4:10 gears and eventually going to do a duramax swap!

Thanks in advance,
Oklahummer

Big2dabank

I don't think anyone on here has a straight axle other than serge's beast, but his has a D80 axle. I think the AAM 925 from a late model dodge would work fine for a basic straight axle swap on the cheap. I've seen plenty of guys on the DMAX forums running the AAM 925.

oklahummer

stock

I wonder if i should go back stock? Do you know if a front diff out of a 3/4 ton chevy would work, I found a roller that had a 6.0 with a standard trans 4x4.

The_Mountain

There's at least one Hummer solid-axle swap thread over on Pirate4x4.com, and plenty of other solid-axle swap threads for other IFS GM trucks. That's a LOT of engineering, though. You have to build spring mounts and shackle pivots, rework the axle position, you'll have to take front driveshaft travel into account (and it passes over the top of at least one crossmember IIRC plus all the skid plates, so you're looking at doing some cutting), you'll have to engineer a different steering idler arm mount, pitman arm, and drag link, and that's not even getting into lining up spring perches on your donor axle with the frame, working out spring pack lengths, or setting up the leaves in the new front springs.

You're probably better just finding a replacement front diff, really. Search eBay, CL, and make friends with some salvage yard guys. Right here on the board there's a thread that discusses the parts cross-reference between Hummer and the GM 2500HD trucks: http://www.hummer4x4offroad.com/forum/showthread.php?4168-Parts-Interchangeability but the diff housing itself appears to be unique to the Hummer. On the plus side, you can now upgrade to the stronger late-model diff with the reinforcing buttresses on the casting.

Last edited:

The_Mountain

Did not think of that LOL, thanks for the input! I have alot of thinking to do. I just want it to be strong, it seemed like it broke to easy!

Apparently, the early (03-04) diff was weaker, and would break. The later ones have stronger housings. Good luck on the repair. I'd look at it as an opportunity to refurbish a bunch of stuff in the front end since it all has to come out anyway. Rebuild the steering box. Replace your tie rods and other components. Maybe do your half-shafts or at least rebuild the CV joints, and replace the bushings for the diff mounts etc. Those big tires put a lot of stress on everything up there.