• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Need to temp-mount a CB

The_Mountain

I'm going on a fairly long jaunt here in a couple of weeks, and I want to mount up my CB temporarily in my H2. I don't want to do anything permament, not even holes if I can manage it, because I might be selling the truck and don't want any questions. So, any thoughts on how I can situate the radio? Is there a quickie way to wire it up without doing a lot of splicing and what not? If necessary, I can run something all the way to the battery posts, if there's a way to get it through the firewall. The radio has an internal speaker, and I'll use a mag-mount antenna. It's the power and where to actually put the radio that have me stumped.

JPaul

Run the wires directly to the battery, that is the best way of wiring up a CB or ham radio anyway as it really helps with reducing interference coming in via the power wires. Just be smart and make sure you turn off the radio when not using it.

To mount the radio securely, use 3M 1" wide double sided foam tape (specifically 3M, not some offbrand cheap crap). It will hold plenty strong but isn't too hard to remove with a heat gun and some patience. This is how I have my CB and 2M radios mounted to my dash right now, as my eventual plan is to build an overhead console to mount them permanently in.

rsc

Look at RAM mounts for a way to hold the CB. They are VERY strong. You can get floor mounts on a pedestal from the seat tracks or suction cups from the window with trays or adjustable arms. Look into a cigarette lighter power cord to plug into the cb, about $7 on amazon, if that's too much interference, you could tap those wires into a different power source in the cabin/dash area.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
I used the 3M tape to mount mine years ago. It's not hard work wire into the fuse box or directly to the battery through and existing hole in the firewall

The_Mountain

Look at RAM mounts for a way to hold the CB. They are VERY strong. You can get floor mounts on a pedestal from the seat tracks or suction cups from the window with trays or adjustable arms. Look into a cigarette lighter power cord to plug into the cb, about $7 on amazon, if that's too much interference, you could tap those wires into a different power source in the cabin/dash area.

I like the lighter plug thought. I hadn't even considered that one. I need something more temporary than a RAM mount, though. This is just short-term, and when I do go permanent, it's going to be mounted in the center stack where the OnStar unit is currently.

scoreh3

Use the Midland 75-822 with a magnet mount antenna .
Midland-75822-Gallery-img1_250x220.jpg

red_round_55x55.png

Midland-75822-CB-Radio-img1_thumb1.jpg

Midland-75822-Gallery-img1_thumb1.jpg

Midland-75822-Gallery-img2_thumb1.jpg

Click to View Larger
[h=2]Midland 75-822[/h]Portable / Mobile CB Radio
  • Handheld CB/Weather Radio
  • 40-Channels
  • Large Backlit LCD Multifunction Display
  • 5 Memory Channels
  • Last Channel Memory
  • 4-Watt Output Power
  • Immediate access Emergency Channel 9 & Informational Channel 19
  • Automatic Noise Limiter(ANL)
  • NOAA Weather Stations
  • Keypad Lock
  • Dual Watch
  • Flexible & Removable Antenna w/ BNC Connector

Availability: ✓ In Stock
free_ship_large.jpg

Zach

Mall Crawler
Rubberduck4x4 makes a mount for the H2. No drilling at all, uses existing bolts. Not sure what year you have, it fits 03-07

rsc

I like that Midland cb, have one myself. Very portable and fits your temp criteria as well as being a great backup for others on the trail.

The_Mountain

I already have the radio; it's a Bearcat 980. That's part of the problem. I intend to (eventually) mount the radio in the center stack, so I went with a fairly substantial, high-end unit. That of course makes it harder to mount temporarily. I think I'm going to go the power-socket route, even though it'll probably result in more noise, and I will try the 3M tape; I think I'm going to mount the radio vertically on the passenger side of the center console. It should be fairly easy to clean the adhesive residue off later, and it won't be as noticeable as putting it on top of the dash would be. That'll also keep the radio less visible, and out of the sun, and the speaker (which is on the underside) will be firing more or less directly at me so it'll be easier to hear.

rsc

I have the same one with the sideband. I used 2 of the RAM Mount suction cups, a bent piece of steel and the bracket that came with the radio. Run the power to the cigarette lighter or a hot cabin lead and your good for $20-30

20160226_173137.jpg

20160208_223821.jpg

Screenshot_2016-03-23-21-09-59-1.png

The_Mountain

I have the same one with the sideband. I used 2 of the RAM Mount suction cups, a bent piece of steel and the bracket that came with the radio. Run the power to the cigarette lighter or a hot cabin lead and your good for $20-30

What did you do with the wires, shove them down the defroster vent? That looks really clean. I wish I could do the same, but I already have a RAM mount taking up the middle of my windshield for my 8" tablet, which provides me Navigation via Waze. Given how vertically short the H2 windshield is, I'd be blocking just about the entire middle third of my windshield if I did that.

rsc

I hear you, yeah if you have one item already mounted there you don't have room for more. I tucked the wire into the little gap between the dash and windshield with the red wire down and the black wire up so it won't show if it pokes up. I ran it around the side of and underneath the dash from there. I hope you find something, we don't have a lot of options with the design and limited space.