• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Oil in transfer case

08H3

Dex VI seems to be the correct answer, however you probably asked the most contentious H3 related question ever to come up. Do a search and you'll find many discussions on this.

lsv_palana

Thank you. As i understand from manual we should use oil with gn P/N 88861800. What is it ?

I always use dextron 6. But this part number forced me to think about changin oil... what is it ? P/N 88861800

Main spare part for my Hummer while off-roading - sattelite phone !

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Thank you. As i understand from manual we should use oil with gn P/N 88861800. What is it ?

I always use dextron 6. But this part number forced me to think about changin oil... what is it ? P/N 88861800
That was the spec in the early builds. The spec was later updated to reflect Dexron VI.

Simplelife

I was lost too, about what oil to use , but I searched and searched.. And bought valvoline dex 6 synthetic at Walmart and it's been around 600 miles and no problems yet

Tengo1

I just now visited a GM dealership to pick some up for my 06' H3. I to was confused by the 888861800 fluid vs Dexron VI. Dealership told me Dexron VI. I even explained the info in this forum, and for 06's it says Dexron III, or the 888861800. He looked it up, and they had the 888861800 in stock, but he said "I wouldn't put anything in but Dexron VI". Just then their only still certified Hummer Tech walked by and the guy behind the counter asked him what he thought. The tech said "We only put Dexron VI in". So that's what I bought.

Tengo1

Has anybody used this stuff at SAMs Club? After spending $24 yesterday at the GM dealership for 2 quarts of Dexron VI, I find this stuff today at SAMs Club, $24 for 12 quarts! It says right on it "for use in vehicles previously serviceable by Dexron III".

Anyone know if it's any good? Anybody use it?

Tengo1

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
That's why I'm confused still. My 06' recommenders Dex III, but it seams GM now says Dex VI. If the stuff at SAMs Club is equivalent to Dex III wouldn't that be right for an 06?
Long story behind that, one which many people will argue.

When the truck came out, the transfer case had not yet been certified with Dex VI so Dex III or MTF was the spec. Once the t-case was certified for Dex VI, the spec was changed to Dex VI. GM's never going to pay to reprint paper manuals but they do update their digital service requirements with the dealers, and that's now Dex VI.

You are welcome to put in any fluid you want. I'm recommending that you match what GM currently specifies for your transfer case.

Tengo1

Long story behind that, one which many people will argue.

When the truck came out, the transfer case had not yet been certified with Dex VI so Dex III or MTF was the spec. Once the t-case was certified for Dex VI, the spec was changed to Dex VI. GM's never going to pay to reprint paper manuals but they do update their digital service requirements with the dealers, and that's now Dex VI.

You are welcome to put in any fluid you want. I'm recommending that you match what GM currently specifies for your transfer case.

Good to know. Thank you.