• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Quick CTIS Question

shaunkite

Hope this hasn't already been asking 1000 times, but quick and possibly dumb question regarding CTIS. I don't personally have any CTIS issues (yet) but someone asked me this tonight and I didn't know the answer..

If one tire is low on pressure and you inflate the CTIS, does it automatically balance the PSI between both or would it over-inflate the good tire? For example, if my left front tire is losing air and down to 20 PSI, and my right front tire is good at 45 PSI and I inflate the front, will it just send air to my low tire or will it potentially over-inflate my right tire? Also, if you have one tire at 20 PSI and the other at 45 PSI, what will the gauge read? Does it split the difference or something? Thanks-

Expendable

the CTIS is setup in pairs. Front and Rear. If you have a leak it affects the tires as a pair. so a leak on the left front will cause the right front pressure to go down as well. same as the rear.

shaunkite

Okay that makes sense, but that means something is wrong with my system then..

So curiosity got the best of me this morning and I wanted to see how accurate my gauge while I was inspecting everything. I manually checked the PSI on each tire. The right front tire read 30 PSI and the left front tire read 45 PSI with the front CTIS gauge reading 45 PSI. I inflated the front using the CTIS and it inflated the left front to the blow off valve (50 PSI?) but the right front stayed at 30 PSI so I used the compressor in my garage to put it to the right pressure. Could I have a clogged line or something? Last week I deflated and inflated each tire to make sure everything was working and I didn't have any issues. No biggie, just want to stay on top of things and I know how finicky these CTIS systems can be.
-Thanks

Last edited:

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
The blow off pressure can be adjusted. Check wheel with the 30 psi CTIS connection to make sure it is properly seated at the wheel. Remove the center cap and push the valve in toward the wheel. If it moves inward at all it wasn't seated.

Expendable

The CTIS system seems to have had problems on the Humvees/Hummers. Considering your truck is 20 or close to 20 years old, I would say having one wheel/tire not connected is a not a bad issue to have.

Eventually I will get around to getting my CTIS to work. But will probably get a powertank in the meantime.

shaunkite

I completely agree, but I am nit-picky when it comes to fixing the little things because it is a 20 year old truck. I've worked on these for the better part of a decade and know how fast little issues can manifest into big repairs. Doesn't matter though, truck fixed itself after I inflated the tire manually. All working fine now! ;-)