• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Changing to Alpha worth it?

GreatDaneHummer

Currently I have a 2007 Hummer H3 with 68k miles on it and pretty much mint condition but it has the 3.7l engine. I have a pretty good 8-10K worth of parts into it so I am pretty sure resale value should be around $18-20k for it. I did some shopping around today and found a few good deals on 2008 Hummer H3 Alpha's with close to the same miles but they want $20-25K. Is it worth the extra money just to change to an Alpha and then re due the $8-10k worth of mods to it? Yes of course the 3.7l is horribly under powered even after the typical engine upgrades but how much better is an Alpha really?? Please help.

3Hummers

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have driven a few 3.7s for short periods of time. There is a power difference. If you aren't towing stuff you likely won't gain the full benefit of the V8. I would not say it is worth the 17-18k difference it sounds like you would incur.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
The upgrades aren't swappable? Most upgrades don't translate into resale value; it's usually better to remove them. At the dollar values you and 3Hummers have stated, I have to agree that it's not worth it. But a few thousand would be worth it.

Funny thing on the "underpowered" - somehow, I do just fine. I think it's more of a personal satisfaction thing than a need. And yeah, I'd rather have a V8 but I also did just fine on a cross-country trip with the I5. Heading west, I limited my speed to about 72 to keep overdrive engaged and shoot for 12+mpg. With a V8 that would not have been so much of an issue.

GreatDaneHummer

More of the trips the old lady and I are wanting to do are much further so I like a little more highway power. That was kind of my thinking behind it.

justin94tt

I went from an 07 H3 to an 09 H3T alpha and must say the difference is worth it to me. I also removed all my aftermarket parts and accessories before trading my 07 base with 97k on the odometer for 11k. If you choose to make this swap take the time to remove everything and put it back to stock and then transfer the parts to the alpha.

Hunner

I traded a well worn 2006 for a 08 Alpha to "refresh" everything plus get the V8 for towing and hauling lots of equipment.

I figured it would be my last chance to get one for the long haul and wanted it to have all things new.
Gave up 60,000 miles for about 250 miles.

I swapped all my accessories and mods to the 08.

Ghostbuster

Yes. It might even be more worth it if you can figure out how to import one from Canada. All the importing hassle might be worth it because the prices are considerably lower up there. Just google a kilometer to miles converter and CAD to USD and just google Hummer H3 alpha For sale in Canada... And of course look up all the necessary importation, tax, and title stuff.

You could save like 5-6k on H3t alpha the last time I look, which was about a month ago. I also remember some H3 alphas..

Just a thought..

They are worth it.. Just transfer your upgrades.

K0PIR

If you have done a catback exhaust, cold air intake, ported throttle body, electric fan and PCM tune then you're 3.7 liter should not be horribly underpowered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

rsc

Just do what K0PIR suggested, maybe add a header. You don't need an Alpha unless you want to tow a lot, and the only way to make the H3 feel peppy on the highway is going to kill it for all the things people like about the H3. Take off the roof rack, brush guard and auxiliary lighting, cb antenna, put the 32" tires back on it, drop the thing back to stock suspension settings and take all the spare parts and extra gear back out of it. Then, start looking at aerodynamic upgrades like a front air dam, fender spats for the rear and one of those aero covers for the rear end- either like on the semi's or a fiberglass bubble to smoothly close the air behind the H3. It's gonna look ghey as all get out, but you will have the highway power you want.
attachment.php

Attachments

• cap005.jpg
    cap005.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 771

08H3

Funny thing on the "underpowered" - somehow, I do just fine. I think it's more of a personal satisfaction thing than a need. And yeah, I'd rather have a V8 but I also did just fine on a cross-country trip with the I5. Heading west, I limited my speed to about 72 to keep overdrive engaged and shoot for 12+mpg. With a V8 that would not have been so much of an issue.

Alrock is 100% correct. When we first bought it, I was kind of in the same mindset as everyone else-- this thing is a dog. And it is. However, I think the problem is, we're all spoiled by sedans that can run an 12 second quarter mile without breaking a sweat. Times have changed. I would have given anything to have my first car, a '78 Bronco 351, be as quick as my H3.

All that said, had the Alpha been available with a manual transmission, I wouldn't have even thought about it. An Alpha would have been in the garage.

Last edited:

650Hawk

I test drove both before I bought my H3 Alpha. Keep in mind that my previous vehicle was a 1989 Toyota 4WD van, with only 110HP, so I was used to "underpowered", and figured that the I5 would be fine. And for the most part it is...but here's what I found; While the I5 is not horribly underpowered, it DOES have to work much harder than the V8 to move a 5000# truck down the road. This was blatantly obvious when getting on a freeway and accelerating up to highway speed, especially if the onramp was uphill. That little I5 was really working. Doing the same thing with the V8, it wasn't even breathing hard. Now start adding bigger tires, roof rack, etc... What this means is that the engine is working harder, all the time, vs the V8. I seldom exceed 2000RPM in my Alpha; it just casually cruises. Add in the fact that the V8 only gives up about 1-2mpg to the I5, it was a no-brainer for me: Alpha was the only choice. Yes, you have to pay a bit more for that V8, but it was well worth it, IMHO. YMMV.

GreatDaneHummer, go and test drive an Alpha. Then you can make a better decision whether that extra power is worth it to you. Only you can decide if it's the way to go.

Last edited:

GreatDaneHummer

Most mods will not change over to an Alpha. The custom MBRP exhaust, Pro Comp MX6 shocks, Rebuilt / buffed transfer case etc etc etc. It adds up quick. I am currently getting around 260 HP with everything done to it and with 35" tires and lift, this thing is a dog. Engine swap would be great but this is my daily driver and I cannot be without it for a month or more while I drop a new engine in. Dare I say, I have even looked at a new Toyota 4Runner TRD PRO just because the power issues... (hang head low)

4speedfunk

I think the 5-cyl is plenty adequate with stock tires and no equipment. But seriously...when was the last time you drove it like that? My H3 has bumpers, winch, 37"s, tools, and many times....a dog, wife, camping gear, and sometimes a trailer. Without the 5.13s...it would be slower than a Schwinn. It all depends on how your drive your H3, and what sort of duty you use it for. SUV = Sport Utility Vehicle. By definition, I use mine exactly for this purpose. Towing? Only when I need to get firewood from insane locations. Otherwise...I have better tow vehicles. The 5.13s make a huge difference and my 5-cylinder is surprisingly quick to 60 MPH.

I can say the MPG claims are total bull$hit, and had I known the 3.7L was this thirsty...I would have got the V8. Double the power, and only 1 or 2 MPG less.

rascole

260 hp is not enough? Geez, 20 years ago full size trucks were lucky to have that and it was more than enough. I guarantee my 06 H3 would out wheel my 95 Z71.

skeptic

I can't decide what's worth it to others, but if I were to ever go back to an H3/H3T it would be an Alpha. I will not buy another I5 H3 or H3T.

JPaul

I'm pretty much fine with my 3.7, only time it's really had trouble was when I went to Colorado in November, going east over Vail pass it really, really struggled towards the top. It didn't help that it was freaking me out watching them temp gauge climb a little then crash down as the thermostat opened (it was maybe 10 degrees out so the coolant in the radiator was getting cooled too quickly thanks to the speed and the clutch fan), it kept doing that several times before I eased up because I was worried the temperature shock might cause something to give up. I just had to slow down a bit to finish making it over the top. And that was with a Thor bumper, a HF 12K winch, my custom UCP that weighs maybe 75-90 lbs, me, my wife, and our three daughters.

Anyone that has gone over Vail pass knows it is STEEP, and kinda long. We didn't go back west that way though, we went up through Wyoming instead coming back home to Utah. Everywhere else though on that trip it did fine for a heavy vehicle with passengers and gear. If you want to talk about slow, try driving a UHaul truck with all of your crap in it. We did that moving from Colorado Springs to Centerville, Utah and it would just bog down so bad going up the hills on 80.

Honestly, for the money you are talking, if you really want a V8 I would just do a swap. There comes a point when you've modded a vehicle so much that starting over just isn't monetarily feasible, which it sounds like you are at. If you do the work yourself a swap isn't all that much money really. An alternative is to do like 4speed and do a SAS and gear it better. Heck, he's got a pallet ready to go for $4500 (which I would be all over if I had $4500 sitting around). Top speed isn't a big deal in our vehicles (I don't know about you but the though of going even 100MPH in the H3 is terrifying, if I can at least reasonably hit 85 that is all I need anywhere in the USA) so the higher(lower? never can get that straight in my head) gearing will just make it better to drive.

All in all, the 3.7 is fine I think, even with a bunch of crap on/in the truck. I didn't buy the H3 to drag race it. That's what muscle cars and hot hatchbacks and European performance cars are for. Instead of needing to out accelerate everyone, I can instead push my way in with my big mean looking H3. Or run them over. Take your pick.

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
260 hp is not enough? Geez, 20 years ago full size trucks were lucky to have that and it was more than enough. I guarantee my 06 H3 would out wheel my 95 Z71.
Stock weight of those trucks was about 800 lbs less than a stock H3, and most of those engines had greater torque even if HP was equal or less than the H3.

rascole

Stock weight of those trucks was about 800 lbs less than a stock H3, and most of those engines had greater torque even if HP was equal or less than the H3.
Curb weight was more like 4800 lbs in my 95 so they are close to the same. The 350 had @ 200 hp and 295 torque. Yeah little more torque but gearing was only 3.73's.

jakesz28

My 2006 2500hd is about the same weight as my H3 if I remember correctly. The h3 is about 5800 lbs and the truck is 6200 or 6300.

Woodtick

attachment.php
I pull that parachute at 70mph with the 5. There is only a few times a year while on the highway,I wish I had the eight. In town and off road,I don't need it. Look into the six speed trans mod.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 563

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
Considering the OP stated a lot of highway driving in the future, I would go Alpha. For city/trails, the I5 is fine. My H3 struggles on the highway when heading west into the prevailing winds. I can get 14-16 mpg heading east with a tailwind across New Mexico. I get 10-12 heading west. If I go 75 mph (the speed limit) the truck rarely goes into overdrive.

SedonaBound

The difference between a 3.7 and the Alpha here in mountain country is that the 5.3 can hold 70 on most interstate grades in 4th (OD), while the I5 can't decide between being frantic in 3rd or screaming in 2nd to hold 60-65. For flatlanders, the difference may not be worth the $$. If you plan to be an H3 family for a long while, consider that the pushrod 5.3 V8 will probably have better longevity than the twin-cam 5. I assume your VIN is later than the bad head issue; if not, thats a major justification for the Alpha.

Last edited: