• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

My 5.3 Engine swap

humvee

Sold my engine and signed a contract that states it has to be out by Dec 15. Also rented a Wrangler YJ for the duration of this build.
I work in Film production, so my schedule is quite hectic and my mechanical knowhow isn't anywhere near where it should be for this sort of build.
Hoping to get the needed support from this wonderful community.

I have a 2009 H3 3.7L (South African model).
Installing the 5.3 off a 2009 H3 (also a South African model).

On paper, this should be very straight forward. But I need to be careful. This is being done in Qatar, parts take up to 15 days to arrive so I'll need to have everything ready for installation before I begin.

Going through Chris' thread 'New motor', feel I'm in way over my head.

The 5.3 has 100k miles on it. I'm only getting the engine and torque converter, possibly also the downpipes.
Here's the initial list I made, I can really use some help identifying what I need to buy and what I could re-use.

- AC lines
- AC compressor
- accumulator
- AC condenser
- water pump
- power steering pump
- power steering lines
- ECU
- Oil Pan
- Wiring Harness
- Engine mounts
- Fuel pump
- Fuel lines
- starter
- intake manifold
- alpha rad hoses
- alpha MAF sensor
- Fuel lines

What do you guys think?

Last edited:

humvee

Here's my 3

attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    515.9 KB · Views: 7,912
  • hummer 2.jpg
    hummer 2.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 7,621

humvee

Thanks C. Added to the list.

The swap will happen at a friend's shop, also amrg will be helping me throughout.

Could really use your and chris' input on what I should expect to replace, and what I can re-use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amrg

You don't need a fuel pump I believe, and neither an ECU, a maf sensor (IIRC the I5 2009 has a similar box and maf sensor as the alphas) and the Intake manifold (its comes with the engine). You will need intake tubing to get the engine connected to the airbox...

CaseyS

Add fluids to your list. I assume you have some type of hardware store nearby for the random bolts you will surely have to chase down.

humvee

Thanks… Both engines are LHD out of the same factory in SA.
At this point, I should mention that this wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for Chris' detailed build thread. I'm aiming to do my share and posting as many details as possible.

I'll dig a little deeper with the MAF sensor.
Bolts might be a problem, certain thread/shank/head combinations are just not sold here.

Some things to consider
- Should I get an engine rebuild kit? All new gaskets and seals at least?
- Should I install a mild cam while I'm in there? :shifty:

humvee

humvee

Had a long chat with a rep from Comp Cams... The cam I had selected was wrong. Here's the new list (without the gaskets)

CAM
http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/cam-specs/Details.aspx?csid=1431&sb=0

SPRINGS
http://www.compperformancegroupstor..._Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=26918CS-KIT

LIFTERS
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Store_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=850-16

PUSH RODS
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...tore_Code=CC&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=7955-16

He said the push rods should be ordered after we install the new cam and take some measurements.
Its a mild cam, so I'm thinking of getting just the cam and beehive springs, and call it a day.

Thoughts?

humvee

I'll start my update with a BIG thank you to Chris, who spent a chunk of his evening answering my questions and guiding me through this swap.

I dropped off my 3 at my buddy's shop today, his guys will remove the old motor and hand it to the buyer tomorrow. I had to pull the trigger because I signed the engine over to him back in November. Work is still getting in the way of following up with this, but my plan to commit and hand over the engine is working at least.

Cancelled plans to cam the engine, I'll just drop it in as is, and put the 4.56s to work
Going with a custom harness, will be reaching out to Jamie for that, and see what he can do.
Still trying to source motor accessories that I can't recycle and Chris really helped me out with this.

So if all goes right, I'll be able to retain the power steering pump, starter, condenser and radiator.
If anyone has seen a totalled Alpha with an intact'ish engine bay, I'd appreciate a link or a number.

Looking for the following stock alpha parts:
Bell housing
AC Compressor & lines
Air Box & MAF sensor
Oil Pan

Will update with photographs staring tomorrow :)

06 H3

a.k.a. "The Jackal"
No problem. It was good talking to you. I would see if Zach can help you out on OEM parts but I am not sure he can ship them across the world? He probably can but I would talk to him. His name is Zach on the forum. He can get all that stuff. You can use an aftermarket intake for an alpha if you want. Since your 5.3 is from an alpha you don't need an ac compressor just the lines. I needed a compressor since my 5.3 was from a different vehicle with a different compressor.

You should add the fan shroud to the list. That made a big difference in cooling and the I5 has a different shroud

humvee

Now for the update!

The i5 is out and its new owner just picked it up. Took the 3 back home to make room in the shop for other trucks, until the new motor mounts and accessories arrive.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Harness ready to be shipped out. Am I missing something here?
attachment.php
attachment.php

attachment.php

Tomorrow I'm going scouting for LH8 accessories off a Hummer or Chevy, see if I can score anything.

-AC lines/ Exhaust manifold/ Air box/ Oil pan / Power steering lines (off an H3 Alpha)
-Bell housing/ MAF sensor (Silverado/ Sierra/ Tahoe/ H3 etc)

Anything I can find at this point would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_4293.jpg
    IMG_4293.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 4,945
  • IMG_4319.jpg
    IMG_4319.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 4,929
  • IMG_4320.jpg
    IMG_4320.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 3,391
  • IMG_4296.jpg
    IMG_4296.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 3,433
  • IMG_4321.jpg
    IMG_4321.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 3,131

humvee

The new motor is out of the alpha and I'm gathering the last remaining parts. I'm struggling with one part in particular.
The input forward drum (or input shaft) and reluctor, according to Jamie, who builds harnesses for Colorado conversions, I'll need to replace my i5 unit with one from a V8.

Struggling to find it or any decent info about what parts I need to change along with it (beings seals, connectors etc.)
Anyone have a part number for this?

humvee

Some initial thoughts on the conversion so far.

Obviously Chris' research and documentation of his build made this a lot easier, but quite frankly swapping an '09 i5 to a 5.3 is a lot easier, and so far... very straight forward.

If you're just getting the 5.3 engine without the accessories, there are just a few essential things.

You can reuse your alternator, but in my case, I need to source the pulley frame that it is mounted on. The motor I got didn't come with this, the owner has use for it on his own build. This comes from any Silverado (which in Qatar is harder to find than in the US). You'll have to get the relevant power steering pump, which attaches to the side of the same frame.
Before I get this pump, I'm going to try and see if the i5 pump can be reused.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Depending on the motor you get, you may also need to source the frame which the compressor mounts on to. Its a different compressor than the i5 and mounts on the passenger side of the engine.
attachment.php

Every person on earth doing an LH8 conversion should contact Jamie regarding the harness. He knows his wiring, and can set you up with a custom harness with no headache. In my case, he's working off some photos I sent him and I couldn't be happier. He can also take care of your program and tune for you.

In addition to this:
- You'll either need custom or alpha specific AC lines.
- An input shaft/reluctor for the transmission... that I'm still struggling with, but I'm a serious mechanical amateur. I'm sure it would be much easier for most to identify this.
- Custom or Alpha fuel lines
- An Air box
- Engine mounts from currentperformance.com
- Exhaust manifold / headers :)
- Custom or alpha downpipe / exhaust
- Oil Pan (depending on what truck you get your motor from)
- Hoses, seals, gaskets, o2 sensors.

I may be missing a couple of things, and probably add a few more, so I'll come back to this post and edit the list as I go.

Attachments

• IMG_4379.JPG
    IMG_4379.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 3,039
  • IMG_4376.JPG
    IMG_4376.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 2,939
  • IMG_4380.JPG
    IMG_4380.JPG
    52 KB · Views: 3,009
Last edited:

humvee

UPDATE. I may have spoken a bit too soon. Jamie was telling me that the input shaft is a big job, requires dropping and opening up the transmission, and there aren't any decent transmission shops here.

Now he did mention that this is something Colorado 3.7 owners have to do when going to a 5.3 while retaining their stock tranny. He cannot confirm from experience that this is the case with Hummers, but we doubt it would be different.

This is the link to the part he's talking about, this is for the V8...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4L65E-INPUT...ash=item4188eb11f2:g:spwAAOSwpDdVCEGa&vxp=mtr

What do you guys think?

CaseyS

http://www.bulkpart.com/2/product/D74554GA.html

Yes, it is not a small project. If you are starting with your hummer transmission, you will need to drop the pan, pull the lockup solenoid, just to be able to pull the pump put of the transmission. Then you can get the band out and pull the input drum. The input drum is loaded with two sets of clutches that you will need to unpack and load into the new drum. Then put it all back together correctly. In addition with a reluctor and input speed sensor (ISS) you need the internal transmission wiring harness that has the wiring for that sensor. In addition you need the ISS itself.

At this point once you have the transmission pulled and the pump and input drum out, you are more than halfway into the labor of a full rebuild. Might as well throw a rebuild kit into it and upgrade a few hard parts. Here in the states, you should be able to get a rebuild with labor around $800 if the trans is already pulled. If you have the drum and parts, it shouldn't cost any extra. You will also need a new torque converter, your old one won't work.

This is all if you are starting with the hummer trans. If you do like Chris did and that's start with the LS v8 trans, then you need to swap the hummer specific trans parts. Valve body, 1-2 accumulator, pan, and output adapter. A much easier job.

humvee

Thanks for the step by step, gave me perspective of the workflow. And Yikes that drum is pricey... It says reluctor included so that answered my other question.
I got the engine with its original torque converter, and the bell housing is on order so this should be the last piece of the puzzle.

Found this input shaft seal on rockauto: ACDELCO 8667035.. Is this the one?

Regarding the ISS, I understand the 09 i5 transmission will have it? Jamie took a look at my harness and confirmed that there is a wire for it. Hope I'm not misinformed on this.

I do wish I was in the States, could just sell my tranny and find an Alpha unit elsewhere. I'm glad I didn't go into this build with knowledge of the input drum, would've backed down... Only way to go now is forward!

Wish I could go for the Tranny upgrade, but I'm quite low on funds with all the accessories on order... I know I'll be kicking myself later.