• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Headlight/taillight cloudy appearance

alrock

El Diablo
Staff member
So, the headlights on my DD and the taillights on my H3 were a bit cloudy and I finally got around to addressing it. The best way seems to be lots of sanding and scratching but I also wanted to see if one of the new kits would help out. Still involves sanding/scratching of the lens, but perhaps less than the earlier kits required.

I went with Meguiar's G2000 Perfect Clarity Two Step Headlight Restoration Kit. It comes with cleaning solution (likely a version of a polishing compound), 2 3M Scotchbrite pads, and a sealing solution.

I taped off the area and used the pads with the cleaning solution for about 15 minutes to remove the buildup and scratch up the lenses. I wiped off the excess and then cleaned the lenses with plain water and a clean microfiber. Finally, I applied two coats of the sealing solution. The before and after:
i-9TZh7f8-L.jpg
i-zKcBh6n-L.jpg

They weren't bad to start but I didn't want them to get too bad.

Time will tell if these hold up to sun, rain, car washes, etc. The sealing stuff reminds me a bit of Wipe New in how it shines and protects. It's an aerosol so I recommend masking a much larger area than I did to avoid overspray.

Anyway, the initial results on both vehicles is good. I'll report back once these have been tested with the elements and time.

twinmill28

Spilled Milk
We tried this with the mini van after the car wash offered to do it. Apparently the mini-van was too far gone and only got worse with the attempt to clear up the headlights. Fortuneately, Rock-Auto has them for about $40 each.
I did notice the H3 headlights were getting bad before I traded it, I didn't really worry too much as honestly, how much worse could the light output become? I am watching the deuce and at about 80k the headlights are almost ready for some love.
Good write up Alex, thanks

Chrome_Runner

You can also use GE Silcone II and smear it across your lens to give it a nice polish. It works on any polycarbonate or plastic lens semi-permanently. This also works on your plastic A-pillar covers, if they are sun-beat and discolored. It's the same process as waxing your car but it is a loose glue, so it stays on longer.

108618_K_L.jpg

P.S. First post, thanks!

Last edited: