• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

6L80e 6spd Conversion

atvspeed4

What if you swapped the input shafts and used an adapter that was an inch shorter?

No go the bearing and sealing surfaces do not line up even close.

We just heard back from a company that said they can do it but not sure on pricing or quantity yet... stay tuned. We just picked up another alpha last night and it would be really nice with another 6.0 / 6l80...

Schwarttzy

Sponsor
No go the bearing and sealing surfaces do not line up even close.

We just heard back from a company that said they can do it but not sure on pricing or quantity yet... stay tuned. We just picked up another alpha last night and it would be really nice with another 6.0 / 6l80...

I'm interested

Alpha X

Does anybody know what was done for the transmission fill tube and cooler lines for the 6L80E conversion? I'm trying to contact adventr too. I'm curious if the 4L60E fill tube can be reused, and if trans cooler lines can be modified to work.

atvspeed4

Does anybody know what was done for the transmission fill tube and cooler lines for the 6L80E conversion? I'm trying to contact adventr too. I'm curious if the 4L60E fill tube can be reused, and if trans cooler lines can be modified to work.
Custom filler tube. We heavily modified a Silverado one to work but next time are going to go with a flexible one as that was a nightmare to fit. Transmission lines also need to be custom we used -an fittings as it would have been a pain to get the Silverado ones adapted

Dana60H3

Any updates? I’m in the process of installing a 6l80e also and was curious how the TBMS harness worked out for you. I have a guy that made my harness but I haven’t fired it up yet waiting for my TCM and ECM back from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gpcalero

I realize this is a pretty old thread, but I randomly got curious and looked it up last night. Looks like TBMS has a complete kit for an Alpha or I5 6l80 swap. It has everything you need.

https://truebluemotorsport.com/$hop...09-gmt355-canyon-colorado-i270-i280-i350-i370

If anyone is still interested, there you go. I'd still love to have a 6 speed H3.

As much as I want this, I'm not holding my breath. I also saw this half a year ago and still have yet to see anybody use their kit. Seems like they want you to pre-order it so they can actually start working on it.

I'd love to see one.

High Five H2

As much as I want this, I'm not holding my breath. I also saw this half a year ago and still have yet to see anybody use their kit. Seems like they want you to pre-order it so they can actually start working on it.

I'd love to see one.

that's disappointing. well i might pick up the adapter and output shaft now in case I ever do the project later.

amrg

The guy in this thread used their adapter and wire harness. He did have to source the output shaft, transmission and tcm himself.
Im not sure if $6450 is a good price or a bad price for this though.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

High Five H2

The guy in this thread used their adapter and wire harness. He did have to source the output shaft, transmission and tcm himself.
Im not sure if $6450 is a good price or a bad price for this though.

That includes the transmission, so not too bad. I’d like to see how much the components are individually though.

4speedfunk

Whatever happened to CaseyS? He was working on one for his Cummins powered H3. Once you get the tranny to fit and work, you also need to make a t-case adapter to bolt up the oddball 5-hole BW t-case.

atvspeed4

If that was actually a turnkey price for everything AND 4lo worked it is a great price. I tried to order from them before we did the swap on our 2006 and they had not figured out how to 4lo signal work and were confused on the phone when I asked how they would make the reverse lights work since the 6l80 indicates reverse on the canbus and the H3 uses a mechanical/ electric switch on transmission. There is a canbus module that another company came out with that we had Jamie integrate into a harness we had made but havent had chance to try this new harness yet.

I highly doubt a resplined 6l80 shaft turned down through most of the heat treat to 27 splines will last with 500hp+ but someone has to be the test dummy...

atvspeed4

Switching the shift tables to 4lo and correcting the speedometer for the T-case ratio would not have worked. The other guy on the forum here that did the swap sold it with that problem still present.

jimmy p

4 low doesn't work with their kit? any idea why? i thought it was all controlled by the transfer case control module.
Curious here too. Is it because the tccm can't read neutral from the 6 speed and won't allow the shift to 4wd low? Same reason the backup lights won't work?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

amrg

It shifts to 4LO since that is done at the tcase but it wont shift out of 1st as the tcm doesnt know its in 4LO. The tcm will wait for a certain mph at a given rpm before it executes the shift and that will never happen in 4LO

jimmy p

It shifts to 4LO since that is done at the tcase but it wont shift out of 1st as the tcm doesnt know its in 4LO. The tcm will wait for a certain mph at a given rpm before it executes the shift and that will never happen in 4LO

The transfer case control module needs to see a transmission neutral signal from somewhere to shift into 4low right?. It can only read that from the serial data line and I am surprised that the 6 speed trans has a serial data output of any sort. I see your other point in the issue with the trans shift to second though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

amrg

The OP in this thread did have it go in 4LO, has a video showing the crawl speed too. Maybe will need to re read the posts and see if he did something else since the last time I read it was 6 years ago!
But I know for a fact that you cant manually shift except to 1st, unless you buy a paddle shifter assymble (or buttons) from another vender and plug it into the tcm harness.
I Cant believe it took the guys at tbms this long to finally come with something considering they had the harness and tcase adapter sorted out, now we have a 10L80e on the market for a few years that 6L seems outdated!

High Five H2

I wonder if TBMS just adapted their electronics from their other swap kits that don't have low range t-cases. I think the H3/colorado is the only truck they make a kit for that has low range so they didn't think about that part.

edit - ok, they make one for full size trucks, but maybe they figured since the H3, colorado, and trailblazer were the same chassis that they were more similar?

If I end up doing this swap, I'll get the adapters from them and then have a shop that specializes in the wiring handle the electronics. I'd use a 6.2 and 6 speed so it's the entire powertrain, which should make things easier.

Last edited:

amrg

The website is updated now, the old one used to show the first kit to be a trail blazer ss. The H3 of the OP was a first for an H3. Their wiring harness is pretty plug and play but the adapter is the most important part. You will also need a tcm for early vin range to integrate with the H3s electronics too.