• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

Which vehicle are we compatible with

Hey fellas,
I noticed that our powertrain part numbers for the most part are identical with the Colorado. I discovered this by comparing a bunch of parts on advance auto parts website. Here is my question, which vehicle is our "twin" with regards to suspension components? GM loves to reuse parts and have twins for their vehicles, and I'm sure ours is no different. Our engine is literally the same as a colorado. Not sure about the trans though. Can anyone enlighten me?

derian06

Red Rockett
Hey fellas,
I noticed that our powertrain part numbers for the most part are identical with the Colorado. I discovered this by comparing a bunch of parts on advance auto parts website. Here is my question, which vehicle is our "twin" with regards to suspension components? GM loves to reuse parts and have twins for their vehicles, and I'm sure ours is no different. Our engine is literally the same as a colorado. Not sure about the trans though. Can anyone enlighten me?

Alot is the same as the colorado, but suspension was upgraded for ride and offroad purposes.

rsc

Transmission is same between Coly/Canyon and Isuzu. It's mostly standard 4L60E, except for the pan, accumulator, valve body, filter, and maybe a few other bits. It seems to have most of the longevity upgrades already like 13 vane pump and stuff. The suspension is all Hummer. You'll find many similar parts but maybe 15% of the parts interchange with GM.

scoreh3

And remember the Col/Cyn had 2 types of front suspensions too , torsion bar and non T-bar . If I remember correctly the rear shocks don't use a bar pin . So be careful on suspension parts . I do believe all of the engine stuff is the same . As far as the transfer case the Col/Cyn have a 2wd switch and are not a full time 4X4 like the H3 .

rsc

As far as using Coly/Canyon stuff, remember they are raiding the H3 for upgrades like their front seat mods. :)

As far as using Coly/Canyon stuff, remember they are raiding the H3 for upgrades like their front seat mods. :)

:) Thanks fellas. The main reason I ask is not because I am looking for replacement now, but in the future. I plan on keeping this truck for an indefinite time, or at least until a mechanic says no more. Seeing as gm let us down, I am curious to see what else will fit in the event parts become hard to find. From what I gather, engine and trans are available, suspension can be rigged up if need be, as well as exhaust as any muffler shop can custom something. People keep telling me Hummer may be gone but GM is not so no worries, but I've never been one to put faith in any automaker. I'm considering a second one to add to collection, (h2) and that has the same parts issue. Thanks for the input guys.

SedonaBound

Mechanical and suspension parts will be less of a future problem than trim, elec, and accessory stuff like the HVAC and 4WD button panel. I think the problem is that the H3 is still too recent; GM has a big unsold parts inventory but not everything, and won't relinquish rights to the aftermarket makers.

Mechanical and suspension parts will be less of a future problem than trim, elec, and accessory stuff like the HVAC and 4WD button panel. I think the problem is that the H3 is still too recent; GM has a big unsold parts inventory but not everything, and won't relinquish rights to the aftermarket makers.

That's something to consider. If they allow the aftermarket to begin production we may see the parts hit the market. Who knows, maybe they have plans to make a comeback one day. I can still dream. :thumbs:

SedonaBound

The bad news is that only about 150,000 H3s were made. The good news is that they were all basically identical and and most are probably still on the road. I think that its pretty good a market for single model parts.

The bad news is that only about 150,000 H3s were made. The good news is that they were all basically identical and and most are probably still on the road. I think that its pretty good a market for single model parts.

Well I guess if people can keep cars from the 50s running, we should be OK with our hummers :thumbs:

Mr_Rich

I think the biggest disappointment is that GM gave up on the Atlas engines. I thought there was talk of a 3.6L (V6) Hummer if the brand had survived a couple more years. I think an LS transplant is the only option in the future when our I5's give out. I'd still like to keep my M5 but being this is Calif. that could be a problem. It's just an idea since an LS engine transplant is still a dream anyway at this point in time. After all; a Hummer is just an upscale heavier duty light GMC truck with different styling.

amrg

Looking here in the gulf the chevy colorados come with a v6 vvt engine. Not sure on the displacement! So yes h3s wldve probably followed

rsc

It would be nice to find a selectable transfer case to swap in so you could just use RWD when wanted
-TEXAS FOREVER-
You would also need some way of unlocking the hubs so the front would free-wheel and not drive the differential.

atvspeed4

You would also need some way of unlocking the hubs so the front would free-wheel and not drive the differential.

No need. On the S10 trucks we commonly swap in a AWD shaft to remove the vacuum disconnect in the front axle (same design as the colorado) still have 2wd and no issues. This is a very common setup. Yes, the front driveshaft spins but no one has complained about loss of fuel economy in 2wd with the shaft spinning. This does not effect turning or anything else.

Thing is i bought my hummer used, so GM never contacted me when they went out. I heard that they sent out letters saying that they would continue to support the brand indefinately. Any truth to that?

amrg

Thing is i bought my hummer used, so GM never contacted me when they went out. I heard that they sent out letters saying that they would continue to support the brand indefinately. Any truth to that?
10 years from last production was what the letter said, Means 2019/2020