Welcome to the H4O - HUMMER 4x4 Off Road.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sponsor
    Thanks

No more POP/CLUNK/CLANK from body mounts ! HOW TO:

After dealing with clunks/clanks when taking turns in my H3, and fiance's popcorn factory H3, we decided to come up with a plan to fix the body mounts once and for all. After doing lots of research on the so-called TSB fix, with the new upper body mount anti friction material, as well as other threads of fixes none seemed to address the real problem. Folks that have had the TSB fix, have stated that the noises returned soon after. They all masked the problem. They didn't fix it. The noise comes from the upper bushing being compressed when the body flexes, making the complete bushing assembly loose. See diagram below:
    Name:  BODYMOUNTDIAGRAM.jpg
Views: 5195
Size:  91.8 KB

After determining that there is no pre-load on the lower body mount bushing, a quick solution to obtain preload was to add a spacer/washer, between the lower bushing and the frame. The only other way to add pre-load is to cut the metal sleeve (please see pic below) and cut the bolt approx 1/4" each.
    Name:  bodymount.jpg
Views: 3770
Size:  16.1 KB

Instead of cutting the metal sleeve and bolt, we made a 1/4" rubber washer out of heavy duty rubber mat. By using a 2 1/4" hole saw and 3/4" inch hole saw on a drill press, the homemade washers were less expensive than the local hardware store. We made 12 washers for each vehicle.
    Name:  washer.jpg
Views: 3198
Size:  7.6 KB

Next we placed the washer on the metal sleeve up against the frame, and reinstalled the lower bushing/bolt assembly. The hole in the middle of the rubber washer was cut so that it fit snug onto the metal sleeve. The metal sleeve fits up inside the upper bushing between the frame and body.
    The pics below show the washer placement.

Name:  mountwasher.jpg
Views: 3613
Size:  16.1 KBName:  mountwasher2.jpg
Views: 3192
Size:  17.3 KB

This is the finished result. The lower body bushing now has pre-load, which in turn holds the whole assembly snug. By design there was no pre-load on the lower bushing because of the sleeve. The bolt would tighten the two washers up on the sleeve, not allowing adequate pre-load on the lower bushing. The top bushing has the weight of the body on it.
    Similar results were achieved when I installed new front shocks. I had to cut the stock sleeve approx 1/4" so that the shock bushings would have adequate pre-load on them. This resulted in eliminating pounding when driving the vehicle.
    The arrow in the pic below shows the placement of the new washer when installed.

Name:  fixwasher.jpg
Views: 3865
Size:  31.4 KB

After doing this fix, we have been driving our rigs for the past two days. The results have been great so far. No more clunks, clanks, or rattles!!!!!!!!!!
    We will keep you posted as time passes.........
    Last edited by 2007HummerH2; 11-13-2011 at 09:38 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 2007HummerH2 For This Useful Post:

3Hummers (11-13-2011), cbetts (11-14-2011), LagunaH1 (11-14-2011), MuDnYrI (11-15-2011), MUTAINT (11-13-2011), Pappibri (06-05-2014), SGT-Wright (04-28-2014)

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    Interesting fix for those with the problem.

I don't get a pop, clunk or clank from body mounts. I proved my clanking was from the rear leaf springs. After the uppers were replaced, it appeared the noise went away for a day or two. However, it came back and then I started after the springs. Cleaning the heck out off them and then adding marine grade, high temp grease to the ends near the spacers and basically soaking the bushing in silicone lube. That did the trick at least until the next lube job is required. That's why I'm researching getting the rear leafs rebuilt by the 4x4 place down the street.

I do believe I get some noise from the body mounts like a squishing/squeaking kind of noise; especially now the weather has turned colder.

Don't know anything about Hummers, but I do speak Malamute.

El Diablo
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,429 Times in 1,723 Posts
    Yep, definitely looking forward to how these hold up for you.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
    Interesting fix for those with the problem.

I don't get a pop, clunk or clank from body mounts. I proved my clanking was from the rear leaf springs. After the uppers were replaced, it appeared the noise went away for a day or two. However, it came back and then I started after the springs. Cleaning the heck out off them and then adding marine grade, high temp grease to the ends near the spacers and basically soaking the bushing in silicone lube. That did the trick at least until the next lube job is required. That's why I'm researching getting the rear leafs rebuilt by the 4x4 place down the street.

I do believe I get some noise from the body mounts like a squishing/squeaking kind of noise; especially now the weather has turned colder.
    Wasn't there a TSB for the replacement of the rear leaf springs on the 3's? I thought I heard about one.......

Sponsor
    Thanks
    We will definitely keep everyone updated....

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    I posted a TSB on cleaning the rear leafs and lubricating, and it does work, but not forever. Burt the squencing noise I'm getting now is on the sides, rear and a bit on the front left. I can understand why GM ONLY replaced the upper body cushions for the TSB; because they are CHEAP; I'm must trying to figure out why I didn't purchase new lowers and the tech probably would have replaced them for free at the time they replaced the uppers.

I wonder, rather than a spacer/washer, does anyone make different size lower bushings; poly preferred?

Do you have a measurement for the lower bushing? If not, I can crawl under the vehicle, but if you do, it will save a slide under.
    Last edited by f5moab; 11-14-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Super Swamper
    Thanks
    I had a very similar experience with my '08 H3. There was definitely a correlation between weather temps and how much it would squeak when going over bumps.
    2016 RAM 2500 Power Wagon
    1995 Jeep ZJ V8

NR6E

Street Tire
    Thanks
    My 09H3was nice and quiet until after this hunting season when I ran it probably too fast on some really rough rocky chunky roads. Now it squeaks all the time on every bump or turn. The only time it seems to quiet down is when I drive in the rain for a while. The wetness must lube the bushings a little. Since it rains a ton in the NW it will probably be quieter until next spring/summer. I wonder if dirt or dust gets in between the bushings and gives it the dry rub, causing squeaks?
    2009 H3 Luxury, ARB front bumper with 8K winch, 285-75-R16 Cooper STT, RockyRoad Sliders, OEM UCP, Gobi Ranger, and leveled with torsion bars cranked.

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    Actually that is what happens to the rear leaf springs. Dirt gets in there, so a good cleaning at times helps. Also, I published a GM bulletin on here in regard to the dirt in the rear leaf springs. I purchased some high-temp, high-pressure, water resistant grease and it works, but a pain in the rear to add it between the links. I have just purchased two cans of Amsoil high-temp (higher temp than the marine grease), high pressure and water resistant in a nice spray can with the little red spray wand to make it easier to get it between the leafs.

Also, between each leaf is a spacer that, on mine for sure, have worn down. That is why I'm going to eventually have the springs rebuilt with new poly bushings (GM bushings also squeak like crazy so I spray the hell out of them with silicone at least once a month), and new nylon or teflon spacers at the ends.

Water sure does help. When it rains all is quiet. Water is a lube, just not a long lasting lube. And living here in Moab, there is not much rain....

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Actually that is what happens to the rear leaf springs. Dirt gets in there, so a good cleaning at times helps. Also, I published a GM bulletin on here in regard to the dirt in the rear leaf springs. I purchased some high-temp, high-pressure, water resistant grease and it works, but a pain in the rear to add it between the links. I have just purchased two cans of Amsoil high-temp (higher temp than the marine grease), high pressure and water resistant in a nice spray can with the little red spray wand to make it easier to get it between the leafs.

Also, between each leaf is a spacer that, on mine for sure, have worn down. That is why I'm going to eventually have the springs rebuilt with new poly bushings (GM bushings also squeak like crazy so I spray the hell out of them with silicone at least once a month), and new nylon or teflon spacers at the ends.

Water sure does help. When it rains all is quiet. Water is a lube, just not a long lasting lube. And living here in Moab, there is not much rain....

Hmm....my CE is still having the creaking in the rear leaf springs....It's had it since day one. My clunk noise and creaking also goes away when it rains outside.
    I've read the TSB cleaning procedure and will probably attempt it tomorrow if it's still warm and dry out. We have been having 60 degree days up here...which is highly unusual at this time of the year.
    I have a tube of heavy duty offroad grease from Amsoil as well. I have to use a regular pump for the grease but have a needle for application.

f5moab, do you have ideas of where my clunk is coming from on the leaf spring? I'm wondering if I'm missing something that needs to be lubed......I thought I got the shackles where the leaf springs attach.....but maybe not well enough? Or perhaps a rock stuck in the spring somewhere? I've got almost all the noises taken care of and it's just these few that are left.......
    Last edited by 2007HummerH2; 11-14-2011 at 07:41 PM.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    I posted a TSB on cleaning the rear leafs and lubricating, and it does work, but not forever. Burt the squencing noise I'm getting now is on the sides, rear and a bit on the front left. I can understand why GM ONLY replaced the upper body cushions for the TSB; because they are CHEAP; I'm must trying to figure out why I didn't purchase new lowers and the tech probably would have replaced them for free at the time they replaced the uppers.

I wonder, rather than a spacer/washer, does anyone make different size lower bushings; poly preferred?

Do you have a measurement for the lower bushing? If not, I can crawl under the vehicle, but if you do, it will save a slide under.
    I do not have a measurement on the lower bushings. Didn't think about getting that when I had them out. I checked a few parts houses and they don't list size. I do know that there is 3 different lower bushings. Here is a diagram with all the different bushings. You can find it here with all the part numbers:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssem...ssembly=391866

Name:  bodymountbushings.jpg
Views: 3555
Size:  89.7 KB

I hope this helps!!!

Sponsor
    Thanks
    so far so good! Both of our 3's are doing great with the body mount noises.....none to complain about!

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2007HummerH2 View Post
    Hmm....my CE is still having the creaking in the rear leaf springs....It's had it since day one. My clunk noise and creaking also goes away when it rains outside.
    I've read the TSB cleaning procedure and will probably attempt it tomorrow if it's still warm and dry out. We have been having 60 degree days up here...which is highly unusual at this time of the year.
    I have a tube of heavy duty offroad grease from Amsoil as well. I have to use a regular pump for the grease but have a needle for application.

f5moab, do you have ideas of where my clunk is coming from on the leaf spring? I'm wondering if I'm missing something that needs to be lubed......I thought I got the shackles where the leaf springs attach.....but maybe not well enough? Or perhaps a rock stuck in the spring somewhere? I've got almost all the noises taken care of and it's just these few that are left.......
    Hard to say. I have lubed the rear spring with so much lube in a dozen different locations. I never did a little here or a little here and drove it to see what area. I just lubed the **** out of the rear springs and it stopped. Not even sure why the clunk went away with lube.

I still have a clank (sharp metal on metal) from the left rear over certain types of bumps. I have checked almost every bolt under there and they are all tight. Lately, I have been wondering if it might be inside rear, near the amplifier and plan on checking that area when I re-run a rear camera wire through that area. Almost sounds like what a wrench would sound like if it was on metal. Damn, I wonder if I left a wrench back there when I installed the original rear camera.

Mr. Beretta
    Thanks
    Did you actually find the correct size rubber washers in your local hardware store? I'm thinking of getting a sheet of neoprene and cutting like you did, but also wondering about just purchasing them pre-cut sounds inviting too.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    nah, I looked around in local stores, but wanted $2.10 for a 1/8" washer. Nothing thicker than that.......better off making your own.