• Welcome to H4O! For a reduced ad experience, please login or register with the forum.

No more POP/CLUNK/CLANK from body mounts ! HOW TO:

2007HummerH2

After dealing with clunks/clanks when taking turns in my H3, and fiance's popcorn factory H3, we decided to come up with a plan to fix the body mounts once and for all. After doing lots of research on the so-called TSB fix, with the new upper body mount anti friction material, as well as other threads of fixes none seemed to address the real problem. Folks that have had the TSB fix, have stated that the noises returned soon after. They all masked the problem. They didn't fix it. The noise comes from the upper bushing being compressed when the body flexes, making the complete bushing assembly loose. See diagram below:
BODYMOUNTDIAGRAM.jpg

After determining that there is no pre-load on the lower body mount bushing, a quick solution to obtain preload was to add a spacer/washer, between the lower bushing and the frame. The only other way to add pre-load is to cut the metal sleeve (please see pic below) and cut the bolt approx 1/4" each.
bodymount.jpg

Instead of cutting the metal sleeve and bolt, we made a 1/4" rubber washer out of heavy duty rubber mat. By using a 2 1/4" hole saw and 3/4" inch hole saw on a drill press, the homemade washers were less expensive than the local hardware store. We made 12 washers for each vehicle.
washer.jpg

Next we placed the washer on the metal sleeve up against the frame, and reinstalled the lower bushing/bolt assembly. The hole in the middle of the rubber washer was cut so that it fit snug onto the metal sleeve. The metal sleeve fits up inside the upper bushing between the frame and body.
The pics below show the washer placement.

mountwasher.jpgmountwasher2.jpg

This is the finished result. The lower body bushing now has pre-load, which in turn holds the whole assembly snug. By design there was no pre-load on the lower bushing because of the sleeve. The bolt would tighten the two washers up on the sleeve, not allowing adequate pre-load on the lower bushing. The top bushing has the weight of the body on it.
Similar results were achieved when I installed new front shocks. I had to cut the stock sleeve approx 1/4" so that the shock bushings would have adequate pre-load on them. This resulted in eliminating pounding when driving the vehicle.
The arrow in the pic below shows the placement of the new washer when installed.

fixwasher.jpg

After doing this fix, we have been driving our rigs for the past two days. The results have been great so far. No more clunks, clanks, or rattles!!!!!!!!!!
We will keep you posted as time passes.........

Last edited:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Interesting fix for those with the problem.

I don't get a pop, clunk or clank from body mounts. I proved my clanking was from the rear leaf springs. After the uppers were replaced, it appeared the noise went away for a day or two. However, it came back and then I started after the springs. Cleaning the heck out off them and then adding marine grade, high temp grease to the ends near the spacers and basically soaking the bushing in silicone lube. That did the trick at least until the next lube job is required. That's why I'm researching getting the rear leafs rebuilt by the 4x4 place down the street.

I do believe I get some noise from the body mounts like a squishing/squeaking kind of noise; especially now the weather has turned colder.

2007HummerH2

Interesting fix for those with the problem.

I don't get a pop, clunk or clank from body mounts. I proved my clanking was from the rear leaf springs. After the uppers were replaced, it appeared the noise went away for a day or two. However, it came back and then I started after the springs. Cleaning the heck out off them and then adding marine grade, high temp grease to the ends near the spacers and basically soaking the bushing in silicone lube. That did the trick at least until the next lube job is required. That's why I'm researching getting the rear leafs rebuilt by the 4x4 place down the street.

I do believe I get some noise from the body mounts like a squishing/squeaking kind of noise; especially now the weather has turned colder.

Wasn't there a TSB for the replacement of the rear leaf springs on the 3's? I thought I heard about one.......

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
I posted a TSB on cleaning the rear leafs and lubricating, and it does work, but not forever. Burt the squencing noise I'm getting now is on the sides, rear and a bit on the front left. I can understand why GM ONLY replaced the upper body cushions for the TSB; because they are CHEAP; I'm must trying to figure out why I didn't purchase new lowers and the tech probably would have replaced them for free at the time they replaced the uppers.

I wonder, rather than a spacer/washer, does anyone make different size lower bushings; poly preferred?

Do you have a measurement for the lower bushing? If not, I can crawl under the vehicle, but if you do, it will save a slide under.

Last edited:

LagunaH1

I had a very similar experience with my '08 H3. There was definitely a correlation between weather temps and how much it would squeak when going over bumps.

SGT-Wright

My 09H3was nice and quiet until after this hunting season when I ran it probably too fast on some really rough rocky chunky roads. Now it squeaks all the time on every bump or turn. The only time it seems to quiet down is when I drive in the rain for a while. The wetness must lube the bushings a little. Since it rains a ton in the NW it will probably be quieter until next spring/summer. I wonder if dirt or dust gets in between the bushings and gives it the dry rub, causing squeaks?

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Actually that is what happens to the rear leaf springs. Dirt gets in there, so a good cleaning at times helps. Also, I published a GM bulletin on here in regard to the dirt in the rear leaf springs. I purchased some high-temp, high-pressure, water resistant grease and it works, but a pain in the rear to add it between the links. I have just purchased two cans of Amsoil high-temp (higher temp than the marine grease), high pressure and water resistant in a nice spray can with the little red spray wand to make it easier to get it between the leafs.

Also, between each leaf is a spacer that, on mine for sure, have worn down. That is why I'm going to eventually have the springs rebuilt with new poly bushings (GM bushings also squeak like crazy so I spray the hell out of them with silicone at least once a month), and new nylon or teflon spacers at the ends.

Water sure does help. When it rains all is quiet. Water is a lube, just not a long lasting lube. And living here in Moab, there is not much rain....

2007HummerH2

Actually that is what happens to the rear leaf springs. Dirt gets in there, so a good cleaning at times helps. Also, I published a GM bulletin on here in regard to the dirt in the rear leaf springs. I purchased some high-temp, high-pressure, water resistant grease and it works, but a pain in the rear to add it between the links. I have just purchased two cans of Amsoil high-temp (higher temp than the marine grease), high pressure and water resistant in a nice spray can with the little red spray wand to make it easier to get it between the leafs.

Also, between each leaf is a spacer that, on mine for sure, have worn down. That is why I'm going to eventually have the springs rebuilt with new poly bushings (GM bushings also squeak like crazy so I spray the hell out of them with silicone at least once a month), and new nylon or teflon spacers at the ends.

Water sure does help. When it rains all is quiet. Water is a lube, just not a long lasting lube. And living here in Moab, there is not much rain....

Hmm....my CE is still having the creaking in the rear leaf springs....It's had it since day one. My clunk noise and creaking also goes away when it rains outside.
I've read the TSB cleaning procedure and will probably attempt it tomorrow if it's still warm and dry out. We have been having 60 degree days up here...which is highly unusual at this time of the year.
I have a tube of heavy duty offroad grease from Amsoil as well. I have to use a regular pump for the grease but have a needle for application.

f5moab, do you have ideas of where my clunk is coming from on the leaf spring? I'm wondering if I'm missing something that needs to be lubed......I thought I got the shackles where the leaf springs attach.....but maybe not well enough? Or perhaps a rock stuck in the spring somewhere? I've got almost all the noises taken care of and it's just these few that are left.......

Last edited:

2007HummerH2

I posted a TSB on cleaning the rear leafs and lubricating, and it does work, but not forever. Burt the squencing noise I'm getting now is on the sides, rear and a bit on the front left. I can understand why GM ONLY replaced the upper body cushions for the TSB; because they are CHEAP; I'm must trying to figure out why I didn't purchase new lowers and the tech probably would have replaced them for free at the time they replaced the uppers.

I wonder, rather than a spacer/washer, does anyone make different size lower bushings; poly preferred?

Do you have a measurement for the lower bushing? If not, I can crawl under the vehicle, but if you do, it will save a slide under.

I do not have a measurement on the lower bushings. Didn't think about getting that when I had them out. I checked a few parts houses and they don't list size. I do know that there is 3 different lower bushings. Here is a diagram with all the different bushings. You can find it here with all the part numbers:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_product=2727545&ukey_assembly=391866

bodymountbushings.jpg

I hope this helps!!!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Hmm....my CE is still having the creaking in the rear leaf springs....It's had it since day one. My clunk noise and creaking also goes away when it rains outside.
I've read the TSB cleaning procedure and will probably attempt it tomorrow if it's still warm and dry out. We have been having 60 degree days up here...which is highly unusual at this time of the year.
I have a tube of heavy duty offroad grease from Amsoil as well. I have to use a regular pump for the grease but have a needle for application.

f5moab, do you have ideas of where my clunk is coming from on the leaf spring? I'm wondering if I'm missing something that needs to be lubed......I thought I got the shackles where the leaf springs attach.....but maybe not well enough? Or perhaps a rock stuck in the spring somewhere? I've got almost all the noises taken care of and it's just these few that are left.......

Hard to say. I have lubed the rear spring with so much lube in a dozen different locations. I never did a little here or a little here and drove it to see what area. I just lubed the **** out of the rear springs and it stopped. Not even sure why the clunk went away with lube.

I still have a clank (sharp metal on metal) from the left rear over certain types of bumps. I have checked almost every bolt under there and they are all tight. Lately, I have been wondering if it might be inside rear, near the amplifier and plan on checking that area when I re-run a rear camera wire through that area. Almost sounds like what a wrench would sound like if it was on metal. Damn, I wonder if I left a wrench back there when I installed the original rear camera.:giggle:

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
Did you actually find the correct size rubber washers in your local hardware store? I'm thinking of getting a sheet of neoprene and cutting like you did, but also wondering about just purchasing them pre-cut sounds inviting too.

2007HummerH2

nah, I looked around in local stores, but wanted $2.10 for a 1/8" washer. Nothing thicker than that.......better off making your own.

2007HummerH2

Hard to say. I have lubed the rear spring with so much lube in a dozen different locations. I never did a little here or a little here and drove it to see what area. I just lubed the **** out of the rear springs and it stopped. Not even sure why the clunk went away with lube.

I still have a clank (sharp metal on metal) from the left rear over certain types of bumps. I have checked almost every bolt under there and they are all tight. Lately, I have been wondering if it might be inside rear, near the amplifier and plan on checking that area when I re-run a rear camera wire through that area. Almost sounds like what a wrench would sound like if it was on metal. Damn, I wonder if I left a wrench back there when I installed the original rear camera.:giggle:

That's what my clank/clunk sounds like......like a tool left in the back. It's definitely on the outside rear area. Had Larry hang on the outside of my rig, when I had steps, while I drove around. Still haven't figured out where it's coming from.....BUT the darn noise goes away completely when it rains outside, and takes about 3 days of driving in dry weather before it comes back. For every day it's dry, it gets more pronounced......weird!!!

f5moab

Mr. Beretta
My clank does not go away with rain. The clunk did and with lube it did, but that clank is around all the time, but only when hitting certain types of holes. I can reproduce the noise on a man hole cover down the street. I can actually drive for hours and not hear it, then hit the right spot and clank.

I cannot see anything under the left rear that would make the sound. I even checked all the bolts on the fuel tank shield and that is not the problem. I may remove the fuel tank shield to allow my tank to expand to its normal size and drive around for a few days to see if the noise goes away. But don't believe it is the shield.

2007HummerH2

Hmmm....My clank/clunk is only when I'm turning left. If it makes the noise, the next time I turn right, it will make it again. Then it may not happen for a while. It disappears when it rains, and then comes back. I have also checked every bolt under the rig, and haven't been able to figure it out. I have sprayed lube on the two rear passenger's side body mounts and it seems to go away.....so know I just have to determine which one it is. Unless I got overspray on something else but that seems impossible. I used the little red spray tube nozzle that came with the can.
The only other thing I can think of is if I have a cracked weld or something like that near the body mount area.

2007HummerH2

11/15/2011 Report:
Larry's rig is doing great! No more noises at all from his.
My rig is doing fine...no more popcorn, but still have a small clunk when turning left. Working on resolving that issue!

2007HummerH2

Well I did some checking under my CE when i got home today. Cleaned the rear leaf springs. I think I may have found my clunk/clank. The rear shackle on the passenger's side hangs up, when you raise and lower the 3 by the frame. You can actually watch the rear shackle move then stick, and then move again......it does it all the way down from the lift. Looks like I'm gonna have to take it apart and clean and grease it.....hopefully it fixes it!

ReconH3

Guardian Angel
Bump for a great thread that everyone should do to their trucks. It helps solve a problem that down the road could do permanent damage to the body mounts.

"Ex Umbris Venimus"

dcastell

Bolts

Excuse my question, but did you have to pull apart the interior to access the body mount nuts? I am used to Toyota mini trucks.

Caraddict

I have a clunk making lefts especially when it's cold out...drives me crazy...already verified it's not hubs but did find play in my pitman & idler arm...bought new Timken hubs anyways, problem solver moog pit & idler...still gotta buy Cognito brace and plan on installing everything this spring...i recently read the Tsb about body mounts but dismissed it as there was play in front end and after reading this thread I'm wondering if the mounts are my issue or not...

Pappibri

Bumping the thread.. I am going to do the 1 inch daystar Bodylift. Should I still do this fix you are referring to????? Probably would not hurt since I have it all apart anyway

Last edited:

amrg

Bumping the thread.. I am going to do the 1 inch daystar Bodylift. I am wondering should I still do it even though I am doing the daystar lift. Will I need to with the new bushing. Anyone feel free to chime in, and thanks.
Ive done the daystar body lift and I had no more popping (it was just starting). I honestly can't explain why though the popping is gone.